The Art of the Deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

The problem with fighting a trade war with a state like China is that they don't have lobbies etc and the Communist Party is not that worried about imposing economic hardships on its people to win a political point - they take a long view sometimes and they don't have to worry about winning next years election.
    China is the world’s largest pork-producing nation. Until China find a replacement for soymeal in their pig feed, they will be dependent on US soybean. Brazil, Argentina and the US are the world's main suppliers of soybean, but the US soybeans are superior to those from Brazil and Argentina. Some soybeans contain less crude protein, depending on where the crops are grown. Even in the US, there's a difference; soybeans grown in areas like Minnesota, South Dakota and North Dakota contain less crude protein compared to soybeans grown south of them, like in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

I doubt China will find a suitable replacement for soymeal. In addition to being a low cost ingredient, the nutritional variances in soybean meal ensures hog farmers are getting the most benefit for their herds.
    Last edited by Persephone; 24 Feb 19, 11:32.
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

If US soy farmers find other buyers for their soybean crop, China may very well end up paying more for soybean when they finally come around.

Does....The Art of the Deal sound familiar?

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post

China is the world’s largest pork-producing nation. Until China find a replacement for soymeal in their pig feed, they will be dependent on US soybean. Brazil, Argentina and the US are the world's main suppliers of soybean, but the US soybeans are superior to those from Brazil and Argentina. Some soybeans contain less crude protein, depending on where the crops are grown. Even in the US, there's a difference; soybeans grown in areas like Minnesota, South Dakota and North Dakota contain less crude protein compared to soybeans grown south of them, like in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

I doubt China will find a suitable replacement for soymeal. In addition to being a low cost ingredient, the nutritional variances in soybean meal ensures hog farmers are getting the most benefit for their herds.
        You are still applying a Western mind set. The Chinese regime in the past has been prepared to see parts of its population starve rather than back off politically. If they can't find an alternative supply the farmers and the hogs would be sacrificed. If the farmers complain well there are plenty of places in "re-education camps". In the mean time US farmers will be complaining very loudly and the next elections are not that far away.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

You are still applying a Western mind set. The Chinese regime in the past has been prepared to see parts of its population starve rather than back off politically. If they can't find an alternative supply the farmers and the hogs would be sacrificed. If the farmers complain well there are plenty of places in "re-education camps".
          I know the folks in Beijing are cruel and would sacrifice their people, if need be. If the Chinese would rather starve than come around, then so be it. I have confidence soybean can be sold for other purposes other than hog feed.

Comment

It is hard to make any kind of deal if you are "leading from behind". Obama's book should be titled The Art of Losing While Appearing Sober and Judicious.
            We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
              It is hard to make any kind of deal if you are "leading from behind". Obama's book should be titled The Art of Losing While Appearing Sober and Judicious.
              "If You Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance, Baffle Them With Bull S."

"My Secret Life As A Muslim"

"Aloha Allah!"

"Michelle Made Me Do It"

Instead of Dreams of My Father..."Fantasies Of My Presidency"
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I know the folks in Beijing are cruel and would sacrifice their people, if need be. If the Chinese would rather starve than come around, then so be it. I have confidence soybean can be sold for other purposes other than hog feed.
                So long as the people are willing to be sacrificed to starvation. Somehow, I doubt that.

Of course, the real world solution is for China to simply buy additional food from somewhere other than America.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

You still don't understand. The Chinese would rather not starve but given the repressive nature of their government many do not get given the choice.

In the past repressive regimes have proved remarkably resilient to trade wars.
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

20190226edhan-a.jpg?resize=807x807.jpg
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Abbott and Costello the re boot

Comment

Well done you two:

We are not now that strength which in old days
                        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Trump's failure at diplomacy:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/01/polit...ing/index.html
                          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

9bc57b46d59bfdc1be3d71255fb04fd5.jpg

Comment

ah the good ole days when Trade Wars were so simple or simple minded.

. Donald Trump asks China to lift all US agricultural tariffs

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-47426028

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                                Excellent picture. And nice face palm.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X