Another Attack on the First Amendment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    Saying that SNL isn't funny is now an Assault on Free Speech?

I guess the Left has to pretend to be in favor of the 1st Amendment once or twice for every hundred times they attack it, just to have that Legal disclaimer available.
    Did you read the article referenced in the OP or are you merely being obtuse?
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

How does saying that suppress free speech? (Hint: it doesn’t)

Were you as upset when the IRS actually did suppress conservative free speech?
      Or is your outrage selective?
      Aside from the fact that investigating a comedy show is ridiculous enough as is, to launch a federal investigation against them would obviously be a threat against their right to free speech. No one deserves to be harassed by the government on the sole basis that the president doesn't like their comedy or criticism. You're allowing your partisanship to cloud your judgement on this one.

The IRS shouldn't even exist, so yes I'm upset with everything they do.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Shocking! President Tump jailed the producers and actors on SNL and had his people in black helicopters block NBC from brodcasting the offending show! That didn't happen? That would be a 1st ammendment violation.

You are correct that President Trump has the maturity of a 3rd grader. His continual commenting on seemingly every thing on twitter does not violate the 1st ammendment. It is him using his 1st ammendment rights.

President Trump has no filter. He thinks it and then he tweets it. He is probably the biggest user of the 1st ammendment in U.S. presidential history.
        "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
        Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Did you read the article referenced in the OP or are you merely being obtuse?
          The only person being obtuse here is you (about anything that Trump says), he didn't attack the First Amendment, he merely stated that he didn't find it funny and I agree, It ain't been funny for at least 10 years+.
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
            Shocking! President Tump jailed the producers and actors on SNL and had his people in black helicopters block NBC from brodcasting the offending show! That didn't happen? That would be a 1st ammendment violation.

You are correct that President Trump has the maturity of a 3rd grader. His continual commenting on seemingly every thing on twitter does not violate the 1st ammendment. It is him using his 1st ammendment rights.

President Trump has no filter. He thinks it and then he tweets it. He is probably the biggest user of the 1st ammendment in U.S. presidential history.
            While making threats that would limit the 1st amendment rights of others. Not difficult to understand.
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
            - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

In the mid-30s...or do you always listen to that Fox News nonsense?
              Source?

Everyone has one....

Gallup: Trump's 45% approval rating a record high

https://onenewsnow.com/politics-govt...-a-record-high

Trump’s Monthly Job Approval Holds Steady in December

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...l_index_jan022

The president earned a monthly job approval of 48% in December, unchanged from the month before. That’s down just one point from his high for the year of 49% reached in both April and October. Fifty-one percent (51%) disapproved of his job performance last month, up a point from November.

Now stand by for the usual, obligatory abuse of sources.... even if they are the oldest and best known souces for polls and alwways perfectly acceptable when they show information useful to the Left....
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

Aside from the fact that investigating a comedy show is ridiculous enough as is, to launch a federal investigation against them would obviously be a threat against their right to free speech. No one deserves to be harassed by the government on the sole basis that the president doesn't like their comedy or criticism. You're allowing your partisanship to cloud your judgement on this one.

The IRS shouldn't even exist, so yes I'm upset with everything they do.

You are adding words to the statement to justify your conclusion.
                According to your quote, he said “should be looked into”.

There is nothing in your quote that suggests a federal investigation is going to take place or that his is calling for one.

You are projecting when you say my partisanship is clouding my judgment.
                My comment has nothing to do with my point of view. It is based on your quoted language.
                Apparently, you recognized how begin his statement really was and had to pretend he was calling for a “federal investigation”.

Trump has a right to comment on anything, he just can’t use the power of government to harass.
                (Unlike his predecessor. See operations chokepoint and fast and furious, but that is a different issue)
                If trump had implied there would be a federal investigation you would have a point, but he didn’t, so it is much ado about nothing.
                Until tomorrow’s worst thing ever happens.
                Regardless, if you want to see suppression of free speech, look at what the IRS did rather than trump’s rant.
                Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

You are adding words to the statement to justify your conclusion.
                  According to your quote, he said “should be looked into”.
                  Who would look into his alleged collusion?

There is nothing in your quote that suggests a federal investigation is going to take place or that his is calling for one.

You are projecting when you say my partisanship is clouding my judgment.
                  My comment has nothing to do with my point of view. It is based on your quoted language.
                  Apparently, you recognized how begin his statement really was and had to pretend he was calling for a “federal investigation”.

Trump has a right to comment on anything, he just can’t use the power of government to harass.
                  (Unlike his predecessor. See operations chokepoint and fast and furious, but that is a different issue)
                  If trump had implied there would be a federal investigation you would have a point, but he didn’t, so it is much ado about nothing.
                  Until tomorrow’s worst thing ever happens.
                  Regardless, if you want to see suppression of free speech, look at what the IRS did rather than trump’s rant.
                  Debatable. Part of small government includes the president staying completely out of matters that don't concern the federal government. The less influential he is or tries to be in societal matters the more free we are as a public.
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Who would look into his alleged collusion?

Debatable. Part of small government includes the president staying completely out of matters that don't concern the federal government. The less influential he is or tries to be in societal matters the more free we are as a public.

He said nothing about the feds looking into anything.

I agree he shouldn’t lower himself to that level, but this is the same thing BO did with Limbaugh.
                    It was beneath Obama to attack Rush but he did so.
                    Trump is not the first president to inject himself into societal matters.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

He said nothing about the feds looking into anything.
                      But he said it should be looked into. So I'm asking you, who would be the ones to look into it?
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
                        You are correct that President Trump has the maturity of a 3rd grader.
                        President Trump has no filter. He thinks it and then he tweets it.
                        In this you are wrong.

Trump uses social media to dictate the conversation; the media reacts to his statements like a cat chasing a red laser dot.

Faced with an insanely hostile, dishonest, and partisan media, he manages to hold the initiative more often than not, forcing them to react to him.

The media never stops, listens, or thinks, they just react.

Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

But he said it should be looked into. So I'm asking you, who would be the ones to look into it?
                          Vague threats are still threats. And when the President of the US is the one making them, it tends to matter as a matter of principle.

Otherwise, is everyone to just adopt to a US prez who makes empty threats that we can all ignore?

Comment

How does saying that suppress free speech? (Hint: it doesn’t)

Were you as upset when the IRS actually did suppress conservative free speech?
                            Or is your outrage selective?
                            And Suggests ‘Retribution’ for NBC

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Yes, he does and that's a 'threatened' violation against the First Amendment. Trump cannot take either valid criticism or being disagreed with. And that is a major flaw in any president.
                              We are not now that strength which in old days
                              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Anyone who wants to.

His statement only becomes a problem if he hints at government action.
                                He did nothing of the sort. If he had, you wouldn't have to keep adding words or speculation.

He didn't say he will look into it or have his people look into it or that any government agency will look into it.
                                If he had, you wouldn't keep having to pretend that he implied it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X