Is the FBI paying witnesses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the FBI paying witnesses?

It appears so, how many prosecutions are at risk?
    Informant testifies FBI paid him $23K in bomb plot probe

OKLAHOMA CITY — An FBI informant says he was paid more than $23,000 for cooperating in an investigation that led to charges against a man accused of trying to detonate what he thought was a 1,000-pound (450-kilogram) bomb outside an Oklahoma City bank.

TV station KWTV reports Brent Elisens testified Wednesday during the trial of Jerry Varnell, who has pleaded not guilty to attempted use of an explosive device and attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

Elisens said he and Varnell met in 2015 through Craigslist. He said he agreed to work with the FBI because he feared innocent people would be hurt.

Prosecutors say Varnell planned to detonate a vehicle bomb Aug. 12, 2017, but an undercover FBI agent posing as someone who could help construct the device provided inert materials.

Defense attorneys say Varnell was entrapped.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in...obe/ar-BBTBRwC
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Entrapping the occasional moron isn't the same thing as fighting Terrorism.
    However, it does seem to be easier, and probably helps with the promotion ladder.

The world's most credible law-enforcement arm sure ain't what it used to be.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
      Entrapping the occasional moron isn't the same thing as fighting Terrorism.
      However, it does seem to be easier, and probably helps with the promotion ladder.

They're just channeling their J. Edgar Hoover...

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
        Neither is the FBI.

The term 'witness' is used incorrectly in the article. The FBI pays informants amazing salaries, somethiimes close to six figures, to deliver.

I am extremely dubious about the practice; I've run a lot of CIs as an officer and supervised the use of even more, and am not in favor of cash incentives. I've approved some pocket money here and there, but the overwhelming motivation has been the tried-and-true 'three for one' method: if you deliver three felony offenders to us, one of your felonies is dropped or pled down to probation.

There are variations, of course, the most common being a subject in an organization taking us a step up the ladder, but it all works out the same: first they tell us who is doing what, then they deliver the facts.There's no time for them to cruise around and set something up: they tell us about who they know, and then they go talk to them while we are listening. It keeps the target selection honest.

Having a spy on the payroll out hunting targets in return for a tax-free salary would seem to be rife with possibilities for problems.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Is the FBI paying for witnesses?

They most certainly are and have done so for years.

Do NOT let the Geek Squad ever do any work on your computer. There are many other repair services that are not paid informants of the FBI.
          https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...phy/406822002/
          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

NO witness an informant. Do you really think this is something new? How much did Jude's get?
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

For that kind of cash I wonder how many 'paid informants' would make stuff up....
              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                For that kind of cash I wonder how many 'paid informants' would make stuff up....
                That is the 64K question.
                Ask former MI6 Agent Steele who was paid a handsome fee to plant evidence
                Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                  I met a CI the Feds were running back in the mid 1990s. At that time the CI was drawing $55k a year. I don't think they actually ran him in our region.

I don't know what they pay now, but I'm pretty sure it's still tax-free, and based on performance.

Not how I would choose to operate. CIs are to be used, protected, and not paid, IMO. The barter system is the best way.

Of all the CIs I've run, I never trusted a single one. CIs are like chainsaws: very useful, even essential, but you need to watch them every second they are in operation lest something go badly wrong.
                  Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

It is like paying the devil to sell tickets to hell

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

They're just channeling their J. Edgar Hoover...
                      But...are they 'dressing' the part?
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

But...are they 'dressing' the part?
                        That's okay today. They can wear whatever they want to work now...

Comment

That's okay today. They can wear whatever they want to work now...
                          Hoover was a cross-dresser.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Hoover was a cross-dresser.
                            Yeap, and today with the LGBTPDQRSTUV movement you too can wear a tutu to work if you want... or leather... or spandex... or apparently just about anything you want.

Comment

Yeap, and today with the LGBTPDQRSTUV movement you too can wear a tutu to work if you want... or leather... or spandex... or apparently just about anything you want.
                              You can, but no one has to take you seriously.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X