California Will Not Return Fed's $3.5 Billion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Will Not Return Fed's $3.5 Billion

One of the much-critiqued goals of the since-disappeared FAQ Democrat Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez sent to major news outlets and posted on her "Green New Deal" information page was the creation of so many high-speed trains across the country that "air travel stops becoming necessary" (don't spend too much time parsing the grammar of that line). Right on cue, newly elected California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) announced in his State of the State address this week that he was ... canceling most of the high-speed rail project that has already taken over a decade and is now projected to cost taxpayers a staggering $77 billion because, well, it's just not realistic.
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/43463...-james-barrett

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

At least they could build their part of the wall :-)

Mass transit is a nineteenth century solution to a twentieth century problem. Somewhere along the line we went from a vision of the future that was individual empowering to a collectivist vision where people are cargo. I personally hope the future is more accurately portrayed by the Jetsons and I,ROBOT than the dystopian nineteenth century vision of the Neo Marxists.
    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Just had a conversation with someone on the subject who does rail construction. Supposedly the major problem with the project was that monies were reallocated to other sectors of California's budget. It would be interesting to see hard numbers on this.

HSR from southern to northern Cali is not a bad idea, and could be made to work, if the bureaucratic and political nightmare that is California government could get its collective ass together. The potential ridership is certainly there especially with the congestion of the highway and airports as it is, however bureaucracy and inertia are all to proportional.

Comment

There is a common thread in how liberals think that goes something like this. We can solve every problem with social engineering. What often gets ignored in the process is reality.
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

Mass transit is a nineteenth century solution to a twentieth century problem. Somewhere along the line we went from a vision of the future that was individual empowering to a collectivist vision where people are cargo. I personally hope the future is more accurately portrayed by the Jetsons and I,ROBOT than the dystopian nineteenth century vision of the Neo Marxists.
          Precisely. In the US, high speed rail might best be called a race between the tortoise and the air. Airlines won that battle over half a century ago. Faster choo choo trains won't change that.
          As for intercity mass transit, the future is clearly self-driving vehicles using a computer routing network that meets individual needs. Light rail, except in a city with urban densities 5 to 10 times what the US has today, is a nonstarter. Bus service is noncompetitive against a "smart" network of self-driving vehicles.
          Why use mass public transit when I can go door to door cheaper and faster using a self-driving vehicle on call?

The Left has truly become the Conservatives wanting the past back, rather than looking to the future.

Comment

One of the major reasons I stopped flying. I refuse to pay through the nose to be treated like livestock.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

There is a common thread in how liberals think that goes something like this. We can solve every problem with social engineering. What often gets ignored in the process is reality.
              Because reality just gets in the way.

for example, planners are stuck on the concept of a train, when self-propelled railcars can operate on the same tracks as railroads use today, with less wear and tear. This concept was adopted by the narrow gauge railroads when passenger traffic made it too expensive o provide train service but communities still needed services from outside. The original solution was a road vehicle adapted to run on the tracks 0 Galloping Geese - and today Canada operates self-propelled railcars to provide light and medium density passenger service in many areas.

Canadian railcar:

Galloping Goose

Comment

Meanwhile, rest assured that Trump will reclaim that $3.5 billion. California always has its hand out for Federal monies, and I'm betting those monies will either be sharply curtailed or not forthcoming at all.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X