Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everyone Is Smart Except Trump

An interesting perspective:

Putin is a bad guy. A really bad guy. He is better than Lenin. Better than Stalin, Khrushchev, Kosygin, Brezhnev, Pol Pot, Mao. But he is a really bad guy.

Here’s the thing: Putin is a dictator. He answers to no one. He does whatever he wants. If there arises an opponent, that guy dies. Maybe the opponent gets poked with a poisoned umbrella. Maybe he gets shot on the street. Maybe the opponent is forced to watch Susan Rice interviews telling the world that Benghazi happened because of a YouTube video seen by nine derelicts in Berkeley and that Bowe Berghdal served with honor and distinction. But, one way or another, the opponent dies.

Trump knows this about Putin. And here is what that means:

If you insult Putin in public, like by telling the newsmedia just before or after meeting with him that he is the Butcher of Crimea, and he messed with our elections, and is an overall jerk — then you will get nothing behind closed doors from Putin. Putin will decide “To heck with you, and to heck with the relationship we just forged.” Putin will get even, will take intense personal revenge, even if it is bad for Russia — even if it is bad for Putin. Because there are no institutional reins on him.

https://spectator.org/everyone-is-smart-except-trump/

What's your point?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      What's your point?
      It is an interesting perspective....as I put in the OP.

What's your point, rushing to hit 75k posts?

Comment

What's your point?
        That discretion is a useful tool in diplomacy, especially if dealing with a dictator whom you wish to have civil terms and understanding with. Being tactful has its merits if you want to make progress in negotiations. Admittedly, with Russia and a "Putin" this could be like rolling dice. Our recent back out of Intermediant Weapons Treaty could be the sort of public insult that won't encourage accommodations from Putin on other issues or disagreements the USA may have with Russia.
        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

It is an interesting perspective....as I put in the OP.

What's your point, rushing to hit 75k posts?
          Didn't get where you were going. Sometimes the pain medication does that. At my age, I don't rush anywhere anymore, but thanks for asking.

So Putin is more ruthless and unforgiving that Trump, but since Putin is not only a Russian but former head of the KGB this is entirely normal behavior...and therefore everyone is smarter than Trump? Or is it more likely that Trump knows how to play that type of personality against itself because that's just Big Business on Wall Street?

Of course, none of America's ruling rich every hold grudges or would even dream of doing something adverse, like throwing a presidential election, just to get even or just for pure personal gain, like Hildebeast, because we're America and we are pure as the driven snow.

Got it. Thanks.
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 14 Feb 19, 10:37.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

That discretion is a useful tool in diplomacy, especially if dealing with a dictator whom you wish to have civil terms and understanding with. Being tactful has its merits if you want to make progress in negotiations. Admittedly, with Russia and a "Putin" this could be like rolling dice. Our recent back out of Intermediant Weapons Treaty could be the sort of public insult that won't encourage accommodations from Putin on other issues or disagreements the USA may have with Russia.
            Thank you for the courtesy an diplomacy of your reply.

I'm not so sure based on previous history that subtlety always registers with Russians the same way it does with us. In this case, Russia keeps violating the treaty so the way to point that out, publicly and clearly, is to pull us out of it. The message to Putin, which is now also crystal clear, is that we no longer have any restraints on our weapons development either, and this is how their entire system of government failed the last time...by trying to match us in an arms race. Except that this time Russia has to start from behind.

It also sends a rock-solid message to the rest of the world, as Trump's threats to withdraw from NATO did, that America will no longer invest in strategies that aren't working.

Trump brings an interesting and refreshing style to the presidency that we haven't seen since Teddy Roosevelt. What a pity the Democrats are too blind to understand what they could accomplish by working with him, instead of blindly opposing everything based on mindless personal animosity.

Comment

Thank you for the courtesy an diplomacy of your reply.

I'm not so sure based on previous history that subtlety always registers with Russians the same way it does with us. In this case, Russia keeps violating the treaty so the way to point that out, publicly and clearly, is to pull us out of it. The message to Putin, which is now also crystal clear, is that we no longer have any restraints on our weapons development either, and this is how their entire system of government failed the last time...by trying to match us in an arms race. Except that this time Russia has to start from behind.

It also sends a rock-solid message to the rest of the world, as Trump's threats to withdraw from NATO did, that America will no longer invest in strategies that aren't working.

Trump brings an interesting and refreshing style to the presidency that we haven't seen since Teddy Roosevelt. What a pity the Democrats are too blind to understand what they could accomplish by working with him, instead of blindly opposing everything based on mindless personal animosity.
              ^I agree with most of this^; and only partially agree with what I posted above, that being more of an objective effort.

If anything, I'd favor not starting from a point of hostility toward Putin/Russia, but rather leave that as an option to escalate to. Part of what muddies the waters of Trump Admin dealing with Russia are the deals and collusions inherited from the Obama administration; That "off mike" comment to Medvedev and the Uranium One deal being prime examples. The treachery(treason?) and submission to Russia by the BHO Admin gives the Trump Admin a rather uphill battle when looking to undo those concessions and shape a different line of relations to Russia that isn't as submissive as we got from BHO and Hillary.
              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

^I agree with most of this^; and only partially agree with what I posted above, that being more of an objective effort.

If anything, I'd favor not starting from a point of hostility toward Putin/Russia, but rather leave that as an option to escalate to. Part of what muddies the waters of Trump Admin dealing with Russia are the deals and collusions inherited from the Obama administration; That "off mike" comment to Medvedev and the Uranium One deal being prime examples. The treachery(treason?) and submission to Russia by the BHO Admin gives the Trump Admin a rather uphill battle when looking to undo those concessions and shape a different line of relations to Russia that isn't as submissive as we got from BHO and Hillary.
                Agreed. And Trump approaches dealings as a business man accustomed to a different type of 'leverage'.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X