Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ljadw
    replied
    To realize, you must use your brains and to use your brains you must have brains ....
    The most positive one can say about the environmentalists is that they have the brains of a child of 2 years and the arrogance of a puber of 16 years .

Leave a comment:

• Trung Si
    replied
    Do the environmentalists realize.....

Yes they do, but they don't Want to and won't admit to it!

Leave a comment:

• Tuebor
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Texas is having trouble with windmills; they certainly don't freeze up, but in the 'hundred days of 100+' each summer they suffer a high rate of breakdowns due to lubrication issues.
    The local energy supplier here has had all sorts of problems with their wind farms. Fan blades shear off, generators burn out all-the-time creating such dangerous conditions that workers have been killed so policy is now to lower the entire tower (at great expense and downtime) to change out the generators. Other problems have been field fires caused by the burning generators (fire travels down the towers to the ground), and vibration which has lead to many complaints by nearby residents including, IIRC, a lawsuit or two.

OTOH they are ditching coal (to expensive to make clean) and nuclear (to expensive to build and decommission), and are now all a-gaga on natural gas.

Tuebor

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

It is the desperation that a lost cause inspires in its adherents.

Gets more common every day, doesn't it?
    Yes, but not more palatable.

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

When are you going to learn to post without obscenities and personal insults?
    It is the desperation that a lost cause inspires in its adherents.

Gets more common every day, doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Where the fk did wind mills or solar panel stop working because of the cold. Wow, what a narrow minded DS.
    When are you going to learn to post without obscenities and personal insults?

Leave a comment:

• G David Bock
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Where the fk did wind mills or solar panel stop working because of the cold. Wow, what a narrow minded DS.
    In my case here, where about a foot of snow has piled up the last few days, I would have to get out and sweep the snow off those solar panels. Though that wouldn't help much last few days with the cloud cover and air filled with light snow. And I would need some good batteries to store the electricity for night time.

Windmill; well if the 50-60mph that blew through here a couple of days ago didn't burn out the bearings, or topple the tower, the stagnant air non-movement now wouldn't do much with them.

Fortunately I do have a good supply of firewood (carbon resource) to burn in my woodstove.

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The key to this entire discussion can be found in the first words of the OP: "Do the environmentalists realize...".

No, and they don't care. At least Don Quixote knew what a windmill looked like.
    My whole argument in a nutshell.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    The key to this entire discussion can be found in the first words of the OP: "Do the environmentalists realize...".

No, and they don't care. At least Don Quixote knew what a windmill looked like.

Leave a comment:

• SRV Ron
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
    that if you outlaw the burning of fossil fuels and nuclear power, our only resource for heating homes and food would be timber - which would be a heavier pollutant than present heating systems and would heavily impact our forests as logging would go through the ceiling.

Funny thought.
    They have already though about that.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe.../#6cbfb4587ee0
    http://airadvocacy.org/reasons-to-ban-wood-burning/
    https://www.ft.com/content/0e367636-...a-eeb7a9ce36e4 (Article blocked unless you accept cookies.)
    And, the Federal and other regulations to highly restrict, even ban the use of wood for home heating, recreational use, or brush disposal. https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/ordinan...ing-appliances

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Texas is having trouble with windmills; they certainly don't freeze up, but in the 'hundred days of 100+' each summer they suffer a high rate of breakdowns due to lubrication issues.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

The price of electricity has tripled in Scotland since they invested heavily in wind. The environmentalist and government is calling it a huge success
    I've already done the math. At $ .25 a KWH it's cheaper for me to buy two generators and run one on natural gas 24/7 than pay for electricity right now. So much for solar and wind. That would mean that electricity prices would just about have to double here. But, if they do... I'm off the grid!

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

The price of electricity has tripled in Scotland since they invested heavily in wind. The environmentalist and government is calling it a huge success
    Of course they are. Tax revenues on those sources have gone up as well. Enviromentalists and politicians live on the wrong side of the Looking Glass.

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    They expect you to use windmills and sunshine to power everything. If the way they worded Prop 127 here in Arizona is any indication, they don't even like you putting up a dam and using hydroelectric.

I suppose that during one of those Artic vortexes, when the sun isn't shining and your whirligig isn't spinning because it's frozen over, you're supposed to just suck it up and freeze to death...

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    They expect you to use windmills and sunshine to power everything. If the way they worded Prop 127 here in Arizona is any indication, they don't even like you putting up a dam and using hydroelectric.

I suppose that during one of those Artic vortexes, when the sun isn't shining and your whirligig isn't spinning because it's frozen over, you're supposed to just suck it up and freeze to death...
    Not me...I'll just throw a few environmentalists in the fireplace and stay toasty. They'll last all night in you cut 'em to the right length.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X