Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fifty Interesting Facts About the United States

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

    It only shows number 50; Basketball..... and then goes to a DWI slide-show.
    The same with me.
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

    Comment


    • #17
      That being the case, all you have to do is scroll back to the beginning. There are arrows on either side of the pictures that allow you to go either forward or back.
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

        It only shows number 50; Basketball..... and then goes to a DWI slide-show.
        It starts at the last one. You have to scroll to the left to rewind the sequence.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

          It starts at the last one. You have to scroll to the left to rewind the sequence.
          Try this for starting at number 1 of 51;
          https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/50...tandhp#image=1

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Massena View Post

            National parks and national battlefield parks should not be protected? That's a crock. Look what happened at Joshua Tree during the shutdown.

            Is anyone's ability to own their own land being prohibited here?
            Those don't encompass one-third of the nations land area. The issue and concern is that with a growing population, some of that land should be made available to the public, along with the resources on/in that land.

            Comment


            • #21
              This is an interesting article about federal ownership of public land:

              https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/06/u...-the-west.html
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

                They don't comprise most of the almost 30% of land the US government controls. The US government controls 95.8% of Alaska, 70.4% of Idaho, 56.8% of Arizona, 87.8% of Nevada, 55.9% of Wyoming, 52.1% of California. That makes zero sense. What's a crock is the US government controlling so much land that goes fallow and to no use.
                This has been discussed repeatedly, REPEATEDLY over the last few years.
                Understanding the dispute in Oregon requires a look at American history, and how geography, climate and politics shaped “the frontier.”

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Paddybhoy View Post

                  This has been discussed repeatedly, REPEATEDLY over the last few years.
                  And, your article doesn't explain why the government should continue to control most of that land. By selling it off, the US government would get a one-time, large infusion of cash. States could then impose property taxes on that land against private owners. That would boost state and local governments. It would also begin to increase the land value.

                  By the US government owning so much land and giving it so little use, it really isn't being conserved but often is simply going to waste.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Massena View Post
                    This is very interesting as well as enlightening:

                    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/50...andhp#image=51

                    Americans should be proud of their country.
                    Basketball is the Third most popular sport in the world followed by Cricket and European Football. . While the great sport of Baseball has English origins, Basketball has its origins in the USA. Legends such as Larry Bird, Jerry West, Michael Jordan and Lebron James are well known throughout the entire world. Well known around the world is the following shot by possibly the greatest NBA player of all time in Jerry West, an incredible 60 ft jump shot to tie game 3 of the 1970 NBA finals against the NY Knicks. The 2nd shot heard round the world some may say,



                    All over Africa, Israel and the Arab Muslim countries are folks that love America , Europe and their Christian culture that has brought such greatness to the world

                    Its proof that anyone in the world whom speaks out against people because of their religion or skin color is in the wrong. In all countries of the world there are liberal minded people that want USA style freedom. The Liberal minded people hailing from GOP and Democratic ideals and more are opposed by criminals but the criminals will lose in the end.

                    Eventually there will be a One World Gov where the entire world is Governed USA style it will be freedom for everyone.
                    Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 07 Feb 19, 18:34.
                    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                    George S Patton

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

                      Basketball is the Third most popular sport in the world followed by Cricket and European Football. . While the great sport of Baseball has English origins, Basketball has its origins in the USA. Legends such as Larry Bird, Jerry West, Michael Jordan and Lebron James are well known throughout the entire world. Well known around the world is the following shot by possibly the greatest NBA player of all time in Jerry West, an incredible 60 ft jump shot to tie game 3 of the 1970 NBA finals against the NY Knicks. The 2nd shot heard round the world some may say,



                      All over Africa, Israel and the Arab Muslim countries are folks that love America , Europe and their Christian culture that has brought such greatness to the world

                      Its proof that anyone in the world whom speaks out against people because of their religion or skin color is in the wrong. In all countries of the world there are liberal minded people that want USA style freedom. The Liberal minded people hailing from GOP and Democratic ideals and more are opposed by criminals but the criminals will lose in the end.

                      Eventually there will be a One World Gov where the entire world is Governed USA style it will be freedom for everyone.
                      "Basket Ball" was invented/designed by Dr. James Naismith, a Canadian, born in Almonte, west of Ottawa, in 1891 while he was a teacher at the International YMCA Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts
                      "I am Groot"
                      - Groot

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Marmat View Post

                        "Basket Ball" was invented/designed by Dr. James Naismith, a Canadian, born in Almonte, west of Ottawa, in 1891 while he was a teacher at the International YMCA Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts
                        Right Basketball has its origins in the USA. Canada is an incredible country with a beautiful history. For the 2nd time, today I visited the Battlefield of Lundys Lane which was the bloodiest battle of the War of 1812. I made a 7 min video of the trip I want to put it on youtube soon.

                        The important point is that Sports is proof that there are good people everywhere. Thats what I care about to each their own of course. The main point of my post was to show how American culture is loved worldwide. Of course Canada has popularized Hockey which has a massive following worldwide well known perhaps the most in Russia, Canada, and the USA.
                        Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                        Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                        George S Patton

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          James Naismith was an American citizen born in Canada, he brought up his family in the USA and passed on in 1939 in Kansas, USA.

                          Marmat please do not take this the wrong way. Basketball is an American made sport. The NBA is loved worldwide, and there have been two Canadian teams in NBA history, The Vancouver Grizzles which moved to Memphis but at least we still have the Toronto Raptors which are one of the best NBA teams in the Eastern Conference. I would like to see more NBA teams in Canada fwiw.

                          America is an idea where all people can immigrate to our country and contribute as Americans as Naismith did. Marmat you are a good poster we are on the same side. The important point is sports prove that the dividers will lose in the end. All over the world people want USA, Canada, And England style freedom and the One World Gov is going to eventually come about my friend.
                          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                          George S Patton

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            We should all be proud that it was the USA that won gold at the 1936 Summer Olympics Basketball competition. Canada should also be proud coming in second place in the Basketball competition at the 1936 Summer Olympics. . The 1936 Summer Olympics were held of course in Germany, it was the first time in world history that basketball was showcased on the Olympic level. In the 1936 games it was James Naismith that awarded the the USA and Canada their respective medals in the Basketball Competition.
                            Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                            Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                            George S Patton

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              #15; the first to call our Head of State a President.
                              (democracy is no longer an experiment, thanks to us)

                              #16; Inventions (not sure if Potato chips belong in that...)

                              #24.... 4.2 years average job tenure .... is that a good thing, or a bad one?

                              #28 made me take a step back. Only 58% believe that an individual controls their own destiny, and that is the HIGHEST in the world?
                              Damn.... I guess we know what happened to all the Calvinists.

                              Yeah, the USA has more violent weather events than any other country in the world.... and more biodiversity?
                              You'd think those two would be at odds with each other.
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

                              -Captain Jack

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
                                We should all be proud that it was the USA that won gold at the 1936 Summer Olympics Basketball competition. Canada should also be proud coming in second place in the Basketball competition at the 1936 Summer Olympics. . The 1936 Summer Olympics were held of course in Germany, it was the first time in world history that basketball was showcased on the Olympic level. In the 1936 games it was James Naismith that awarded the the USA and Canada their respective medals in the Basketball Competition.
                                Even better, Canada's U19 Men's National Team won gold in the 2017 FIBA World Cup in Cairo, defeating the US 99-87 in the semis, and Italy 79-60 in the final. The only reason I know is that my nephew was on the training staff, while on work term from school; he had a most excellent summer.
                                "I am Groot"
                                - Groot

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X