Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be so wrong if the police declined to save them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

In fact, when you look at the welfare, food stamp and other aid programs there are a HELL OF A LOT of officially designated poor people, and food is not high on the list of uses for disposable income. Ever seen a welfare mother without her cigarettes? A welfare male without his cigarettes and booze? A television and a car- good ones?

South Americans traditionally eat a diet full of starch and beans, corn flour and rice and they're cheap.

The disintegration of the nuclear family led directly to eating out more, and to consuming fast foods. Kids don't come home and prepare nutritious meals and working mothers don't do it very often either. Take out food is not nutritious. "I'll grab something on the way home" is not nutritious, and police, office workers and millions of others eat out daily, where portion control is a major issue.

FYI: my military retired salary as a Chief Warrant Officer (20 years of service) places me squarely in the poverty zone defined by our government...less than 15K per annum.

Try it for yourself and see how well you do. (And no, I'm not obese and I don't receive welfare or food stamps. I'm smarter than the average bear. )
    When I first got married I supported my wife and myself on a similar income adjusted for inflation. I know what it is to be poor and I presently live in a half gentrified portion of the ghetto so I know a thing or two about the current state of the impoverished as well.

We hunt the hunters

Comment

FYI: my military retired salary as a Chief Warrant Officer (20 years of service) places me squarely in the poverty zone defined by our government...less than 15K per annum.
      Bull, I retired as E8 with 22 years and get a lot more than 15k. Then you have your SS as well and your wife is retired as well so my guess is you income is north of 40k
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Back to the Darwin 'survival of the fittest' thing. In northern NH there are a never-ending line of "outdoor enthusiasts" who need rescuing from one endeavor or another be it ice climbing, winter camping, hiking, skiing the back country - whatever. If the cavalry has to be called out to save their butts then they are billed for the costs of such.
        My question is in regard to those who would tempt death by having to be saved - time and again- by a first responder armed with narcan.
        Is it unfair to charge those who are OD-ing for the fourth, fifth, sixth (project it out as far as you want) time for the costs of an emergency vehicle being called out in the middle of the night to administer a saving dose of narcan and coincidentally the cost of the narcan itself? Could there be a limit to the number of times the EMTs can be called out to a specific place/address/area?
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Bull, I retired as E8 with 22 years and get a lot more than 15k. Then you have your SS as well and your wife is retired as well so my guess is you income is north of 40k
          When? That is the key to retirement pay. I retired in 1981. A private today makes about what I made when I retired. As for your guess, 'bull' indeed....stay away from Vegas. You would not make a good gambler since you base your guesses on total ignorance of actual circumstances.

Beyond that, you missed the entire point of the discussion, which is about, among other things, defining "poverty". Remember when so many military personnel were on food stamps? Remember how many illegals are getting income tax returns because they are "poor?

We live in an arbitrary society determined to maintain a welfare state, with a government determined to take away what we have earned, such as Social Security.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

When? That is the key to retirement pay. I retired in 1981. A private today makes about what I made when I retired. As for your guess, 'bull' indeed....stay away from Vegas. You would not make a good gambler since you base your guesses on total ignorance of actual circumstances.

Beyond that, you missed the entire point of the discussion, which is about, among other things, defining "poverty". Remember when so many military personnel were on food stamps? Remember how many illegals are getting income tax returns because they are "poor?

We live in an arbitrary society determined to maintain a welfare state, with a government determined to take away what we have earned, such as Social Security.
            I retired in a lower pay grade in 86. Your still spout poor me BS.

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post

Interestingly enough, the idea has been floated over here for Mountain Rescue (while rather small compared to other countries, Scotland's pre-Cambrian mountains with their sudden temperature changes can be a challenge for even the most seasoned climbers) after they've risked their own lives in blizzard conditions to rescue yet another tourist. But the teams themselves (largely local volunteers on the ground) have always resisted the idea of sending bills to victims.
              Subsidizing stupidity or recklessness only encourages more of the same.

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

I retired in a lower pay grade in 86. Your still spout poor me BS.
                NO...you are unaware of the facts in my life. As is often the case, your sheer ignorance is awesome to behold.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

FACT Your Army retirement comes to more than 15k What you do with it is a X factor. So your statement isn't factual.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X