Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be so wrong if the police declined to save them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be so wrong if the police declined to save them?

Do I hear Darwin approach?

Officials with NYC parks are reminding parkgoers throughout New York City to stay safe by staying off the ice.

NYC Parks Commissioner Mitchell Silver spoke out on Monday after multiple people were spotted venturing out onto the ice in Central Park.

The bodies of water may appear frozen, but fluctuating temperatures can cause the parks' 96 lakes and ponds to be extremely dangerous and potentially fatal.

"No matter how beautiful a place may look, it can be extremely dangerous and that is why we're telling New Yorkers and our visitors never go onto the ice," Silver said.

On Monday afternoon, nearly a dozen people ignored red warning signs in Central Park and walked out on the ice to take selfies.

Gary Dicresce was walking his dog in in the park and couldn't believe his eyes.

"They were over on the other side there and the police were over here screaming 'get off the ice' and finally they got off the ice," Dicresce said. . . . .

"NYC parkgoers warned to stay off ponds after people spotted on ice in Central Park," WABC-TV, New York, 4 Feb 2019
    And so what if one of these halfwits falls through the ice? What is the benefit to the public at large such that police resources should be expended to save these imbeciles? Would not their demise constitute a benefit for all?
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Not in my book, but the lefty-libbies would go nuts. Personally, I'm a big fan of Darwinism.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Call it a retroactive abortion, the left will celebrate it.
      Matthew 25:14-30. Jesus tells that it is not sufficient merely to maintain things as they are. Those who await should make good use of the gifts that God has provided them.

Comment

Just think of it as thinning the herd by culling the least fit to survive. The NRA and hunters everywhere will applaud it.

Comment

It all depends.

Has anyone thought to check how thick the ice is?
          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

When I was a kid we went ice skating? If you fell in someone, meaning a friend or family member, was suppose to be there to help you get out. So yes I have been skating on thin ice. I also played on the railroad tracks. If you are capable of getting yourself out of a bad situation without calling the cavalry it's kind of ok to do stupid stuff. How about people who get in a boat and hardly know the stern from the bow and the coast guard has to rescue them. I understand that the coast guard now charges for rescues so maybe that isn't the same but what bugs me is the idea that someone else is responsible for saving your ass when you do something stupid. In other words it's different when you can take care of yourself when you do stupid stuff but we live in a world where the government is suppose to save everyone. I've gone camping in the winter and I understood that if I messed up I was going to die. Maybe another analogy is don't get on the fast slope if you barely know how to ski but it isn't anyone else's responsibility to make that decision.

What I'm trying to say is that there should be a Darwin award for people that won't ever do anything that is slightly dangerous. We don't want people to be reckless or the overly timid we just want them to be responsible for their decisions. I understand the reasoning behind motorcycle helmet laws because we all pay for medical insurance or as tax payers for those without insurance. I just don't know where to draw the line?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAnGYfnFz9I
            We hunt the hunters

Comment

I'm with Slick: drowning New Yorkers is a good idea.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                I'm with Slick: drowning New Yorkers is a good idea.
                You wouldn't be one of those Texans that shoot illegals for sport would you?
                We hunt the hunters

Comment

Few people have never done anything stupid in their lives.
                  The police or firefighters or indeed anyone who can safely assist should help anyone in distress on the ice. It is similar to the obligation on ships to respond to an SOS.
                  "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

In Arizona we have a "stupid motorist" law. There are similar laws for other similar situations. People here regularly go around barriers and enter flooding washes with their vehicles. Hikers and such regularly fail to take sufficient water, etc., with them and get into trouble on trails.

The result is emergency services are called to rescue them at a cost often of thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. If this happens, the idiot is billed for the cost of the rescue and it's legally their responsibility to pay.

This is going to be expensive for that lady...

Anybody that's lived here for a while knows never drive into a puddle of water or wash that is flooding that's larger than your vehicle. Let some other idiot try it first.
                    You never go hiking when it's like 110 out either.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

You wouldn't be one of those Texans that shoot illegals for sport would you?
                      Darwin award for people that won't ever do anything that is slightly dangerous
                      Is riding in a golf cart dangerous?
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Is riding in a golf cart dangerous?
                        https://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/ide...ake/1499976415
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                          When I was a kid we went ice skating? If you fell in someone, meaning a friend or family member, was suppose to be there to help you get out. So yes I have been skating on thin ice. I also played on the railroad tracks. If you are capable of getting yourself out of a bad situation without calling the cavalry it's kind of ok to do stupid stuff. How about people who get in a boat and hardly know the stern from the bow and the coast guard has to rescue them. I understand that the coast guard now charges for rescues so maybe that isn't the same but what bugs me is the idea that someone else is responsible for saving your ass when you do something stupid. In other words it's different when you can take care of yourself when you do stupid stuff but we live in a world where the government is suppose to save everyone. I've gone camping in the winter and I understood that if I messed up I was going to die. Maybe another analogy is don't get on the fast slope if you barely know how to ski but it isn't anyone else's responsibility to make that decision.

What I'm trying to say is that there should be a Darwin award for people that won't ever do anything that is slightly dangerous. We don't want people to be reckless or the overly timid we just want them to be responsible for their decisions. I understand the reasoning behind motorcycle helmet laws because we all pay for medical insurance or as tax payers for those without insurance. I just don't know where to draw the line?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAnGYfnFz9I
                          The line starts with individual responsibility for one's actions. How many cars have whizzed past you in parking lots, their drivers oblivious on the cellphones? How many do you see every day, still texting and driving?

Stupidest thing in the world: a summer motorcyclist with his helmet on, wearing a T-short and shorts!

Hikers die every year in Colorado because they cannot or will not comprehend the severe, rapid weather warnings when they tramp around at 14,000 feet. So they freeze to death in their designer spandex when the snow and hail hits them in the middle of August - one of our biggest hail months.

Every year we lose lots of small aircraft,and some not so small ones, flying around the Rockies on family outings or trips, fair weather pilots who refuse to even consider if they have the skill to handle one of the worst and most unpredictable wind systems they will ever see.

Every year somebody up around Boulder gets killed while jogging - by a mountain lion. If one cannot learn from their own mistakes, at least learn from the fate of others. Every year there are bad encounters with bears, all over the state, especially this part. But people leave pet food outside, leave their garbage unsecured and then complain when Bro Bear shows up and goes on a tear, and maybe kills or cripples a human in the process.

We've got endemic plague in the squirrels of Colorado, but every year someone ends up in the hospital, and some of them die, because they were hiking and thought it would be cute to hand-feed the squirrels. Safer to to do the hand jive with Jack The Ripper.

There is a complete disconnect between the reality of where people are and the hazards normally associated with the areas. "Wilderness" area means exactly that, and the amount of wildlife even inside Colorado town limits has to be seen to be believed.

The list goes on. I'm not espousing fear of ever doing anything, just ordinary prudence. Realize that one is not only mortal but very easily damaged or killed by Mother Nature and her not-user-friendly brood. Read the warnings and PAY ATTENTION, or pay the price, but do not expect everyone else to come and save your sorry butt because you didn't think it applied to you.

Comment

All human activities are inherently dangerous because as species go we aren't all that smart. We can easily kill ourselves taking a shower or drying our hair, let alone doing anything complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The line starts with individual responsibility for one's actions. How many cars have whizzed past you in parking lots, their drivers oblivious on the cellphones? How many do you see every day, still texting and driving?

Stupidest thing in the world: a summer motorcyclist with his helmet on, wearing a T-short and shorts!

Hikers die every year in Colorado because they cannot or will not comprehend the severe, rapid weather warnings when they tramp around at 14,000 feet. So they freeze to death in their designer spandex when the snow and hail hits them in the middle of August - one of our biggest hail months.

Every year we lose lots of small aircraft,and some not so small ones, flying around the Rockies on family outings or trips, fair weather pilots who refuse to even consider if they have the skill to handle one of the worst and most unpredictable wind systems they will ever see.

Every year somebody up around Boulder gets killed while jogging - by a mountain lion. If one cannot learn from their own mistakes, at least learn from the fate of others. Every year there are bad encounters with bears, all over the state, especially this part. But people leave pet food outside, leave their garbage unsecured and then complain when Bro Bear shows up and goes on a tear, and maybe kills or cripples a human in the process.

We've got endemic plague in the squirrels of Colorado, but every year someone ends up in the hospital, and some of them die, because they were hiking and thought it would be cute to hand-feed the squirrels. Safer to to do the hand jive with Jack The Ripper.

There is a complete disconnect between the reality of where people are and the hazards normally associated with the areas. "Wilderness" area means exactly that, and the amount of wildlife even inside Colorado town limits has to be seen to be believed.

The list goes on. I'm not espousing fear of ever doing anything, just ordinary prudence. Realize that one is not only mortal but very easily damaged or killed by Mother Nature and her not-user-friendly brood. Read the warnings and PAY ATTENTION, or pay the price, but do not expect everyone else to come and save your sorry butt because you didn't think it applied to you.
                              Re the mountain lion issue. There was a story on the news recently about a runner who was attacked by a mountain line in the states. The runner killed the lion with his bare hands.
                              "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X