Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you could do in the 1980s... and can't now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you could do in the 1980s... and can't now.

This vid got me thinking.

It is a little bit silly, but it does say a lot about how things have changed-

Any thoughts from those of you who were there?

I remember gun-safety classes at school, and shop class.

You could also book a round-trip flight from L.A. to NYC a week in advance, and pay about $200.

"Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

good find.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
      This vid got me thinking.

It is a little bit silly, but it does say a lot about how things have changed-

Any thoughts from those of you who were there?

I remember gun-safety classes at school, and shop class.

You could also book a round-trip flight from L.A. to NYC a week in advance, and pay about $200.

It was even cheaper in the 60's, and bus service all over American was high class, and even cheaper.

Typing and homemaking were taught to females, Vocational classes were heavily used for those not on the college track.

High school jocks knew they needed a job when they graduated. No cone was scouting them or even wanted them.

There were no high school pregnancies, and no drugs where I was.

We stood and said the Pledge every single school day and stood for the flag and anthem at all sports functions.

Life was exponentially better in terms of quality, guarantees of lifetime employment and opportunities to move up and move ahead. Skilled employees were highly valued, and skill plus experience was the Golden Guarantee. At the same time, employers looked after their employees, and employees were loyal their jobs and employers.

Most of all, America could do anything, including go to the Moon.

Meanwhile, nukes and Civil Defense shelters were parked everywhere and SAC orbited their fail safe points 24/7.

Comment

I didn't drive 55 back then, and still don't today. Difference is the speed limit on highways isn't still stupidly, artificially low because of idiots in government thinking you should save gas.

Comment

Laugh at Donald Trump and not have everybody up in arms.
          Yes, I knew who he was back then.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
            Four entries before your TDS kicked in. We have now created Trump's Law to stand alongside Godwin's Law.

Comment

I could run three miles in under 18 minutes . . . .
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I didn't have to runto find a payphone....
                The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Four entries before your TDS kicked in. We have now created Trump's Law to stand alongside Godwin's Law.
                  When you become a moderator, I might actually GAF about what you think. Until then...not so much.

Comment

It was funny back then, instead of mean and petty.

"Die Hard with a vengeance" was #3, and it had a couple of funnies that are verboten in Hollywood today;

One one scene, the boss at the 9-11 call center says that all Police Calls will be re-routed through their center, and the middle-aged black woman in charge calls BS on this by saying "Yea, and I'm gonna marry Donald Trump!"

A few scenes later, Bruce willis is nearly run off the road and shouts "You drive like Hillary Clinton!!!"

... speaking of getting everyone up in arms, shall we show clips of that and watch the Thought Police throw a fit?
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

"Things you could do in the 1980s and can't now."

Be white and male and not be harassed by bigots and racists and leftists for it.
                      The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Go to the cinema and actually enjoy a good movie.

Ask a teen girl out, and NOT be thought of as a dirty old man.

Walk into the grocery store, and not have an opium addict OD in line ahead of me.

Be a member of a youth organization, and actually do interesting things.

Actually able to find a female of the species without jars of ink tattooed all over the place, or have perforated her entire body like a pin cushion.

Get an actual education in high school.

Listen to music without becoming violently ill.

Hit on a woman, and not be considered a sexual predator.

Hang out at an airport and watch all the planes.

Watch a baseball or hockey game on tv without paying for it.

Travel to Canada without a passport or "enhanced" license.

Travel from state to state by air without being asked "Papers Please."

Travel by train, and have a freshly made meal.

Say something without having your words posted for the world to see and to condemn (because something always offends someone).

Vote for a Democrat without fearing one has elected Comrade Trotsky.

Tuebor

Comment

Smoking in a public restaurant. That is a big one
                          Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                          Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

How about: be Donald Trump and not get called a racist?
                            "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It was even cheaper in the 60's, and bus service all over American was high class, and even cheaper.

Typing and homemaking were taught to females, Vocational classes were heavily used for those not on the college track.

High school jocks knew they needed a job when they graduated. No cone was scouting them or even wanted them.

There were no high school pregnancies, and no drugs where I was.

We stood and said the Pledge every single school day and stood for the flag and anthem at all sports functions.

Life was exponentially better in terms of quality, guarantees of lifetime employment and opportunities to move up and move ahead. Skilled employees were highly valued, and skill plus experience was the Golden Guarantee. At the same time, employers looked after their employees, and employees were loyal their jobs and employers.

Most of all, America could do anything, including go to the Moon.

Meanwhile, nukes and Civil Defense shelters were parked everywhere and SAC orbited their fail safe points 24/7.
                              Like was better if you were a white male and had no moral compass and no interest in the future.

Black men could be lynched, denied equal pay, denied access to equal jobs...

Women could be beaten by their spouses,denied equal pay, denied access to equal jobs...

Yeah, it was amazing.

If you were a white male.

There was a crushing wave of drugs hitting the USA, but it wasn't in white neighborhoods yet, so it didn't matter.

The start of the great exodus of factory jobs overseas were hitting, but it hadn't hit many whites, so who cared?

They were kicking the mentally ill out onto the streets as they started to close mental institutions, but hey, that didn't matter.

They were dodging the draft and calling returning US soldiers baby burners...

The seeds of today's ills were planted in the 50s and 60s, and the bill has come due. Your kids, grandkids, and future generations are paying for your choices, MM.
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X