Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the ambassadors after two years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freebird View Post

Here's a better map.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/04/09...ty-diplomacy/#

Truth unfortunately is that it isn't the Dems... (mostly)

Looks like there are 38 actual vacancies, so not including Venezuela, Iran, Syria, North Korea etc where there are no diplomatic relations.
    Of those 38, just 12 are awaiting confirmation, 26 don't even have a nominee.

I can understand that Ivory Coast, Turkmenistan or C.A.R. aren't urgent priorities, but you'd think Turkey, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Egypt are important enough to get done.
    Two years into the administration and nobody nominated?

This one's on Trump & his administration.
    Using a map from Feb 2018 (OP) or Apr 2018 is going to be misleading. Keep in mind the following:

The Chief of Mission is often—but not always—an Ambassador. There are currently three classes of diplomatic representation established by the: ambassador or nuncio (accredited to the Head of State); envoy, minister, or internuncio (accredited to the Head of State); and chargé d’affaires (accredited to the Minister of Foreign Affairs). These classes have a much longer lineage. Although not a signatory, the United States followed Annex 17 to the Congress Treaty of Vienna (March 19, 1815), which established rank and precedence of diplomatic agents (Ambassadors, Envoys, and Chargés d’Affaires). The Proces-Verbal of the Conference of Aix-la-Chapelle (November 9, 1818), recognized Ministers Resident as an intermediate class between Ministers and Chargés d’Affaires.

https://history.state.gov/department...ncipals-chiefs

With the above in mind, sometimes the Chargés d’Affaires is connecting so well with the host country that they don't replace him or her with an ambassador. Specific to Bangui, I know that Chargés d’Affaires has really connected with the people of that country.
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post

Usually given as a reward to political cronies who have previously served.
      Maybe Manafort would like the C.A.R.?
      I hear he likes a luxurious lifestyle, the US ambassadors house probably even has indoor plumbing...
      Specific for the C.A.R., only FSOs have been Ambassadors or Chargés d’Affaires there; no political appointees.
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Do you have a link to that?
        https://int.search.tb.ask.com/search...si=28768055044

Take your pick
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          None of those are for the C.A.R. I know that we pulled a detachment of around 250 out of there last spring. In the early summer we stood up a MSG detachment but I have heard nothing about us sending troops there.

Comment

Specific for the C.A.R., only FSOs have been Ambassadors or Chargés d’Affaires there; no political appointees.
            And presumably ones who have really pi$$ed off someone influential in the administration.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

The C.A.R. is one of those countries that we're probably better off not sending an ambassador to. That place is little more than a religious civil war going on continuously. You'd have to be utterly insane to travel there and the cost of protecting an embassy and ambassador would be all out of proportion to their usefulness.

Comment

None of those are for the C.A.R. I know that we pulled a detachment of around 250 out of there last spring. In the early summer we stood up a MSG detachment but I have heard nothing about us sending troops there.
                due to unrest over the election i believe in congo troops are being staged. ie someone learned there lesson after Benghazi.

Comment

This is today's current list of U.S. Ambassadors, including recent appointees from last week i.e. Australia, and which also identifies career vs. political appointments:

http://www.afsa.org/list-ambassadorial-appointments

Enjoy!

"I am Groot"
                  - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post

due to unrest over the election i believe in congo troops are being staged. ie someone learned there lesson after Benghazi.
                    …….I'm not tracking how that plays into the Central African Republic? The finished their mission in Eastern CAR last spring and left. The MSG Marines are just Embassy security...….how did you pull Congo troops being staged?

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post
                      This is today's current list of U.S. Ambassadors, including recent appointees from last week i.e. Australia, and which also identifies career vs. political appointments:

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting that Shawn, I was going to post it earlier but I wanted to explain how some of those posts have Chargés d’Affaires running them and not Ambassadors......then I started to look at possibly cross referencing every vacant post with it's current staff...….I quickly lost motivation.

Comment

Thanks for posting that Shawn, I was going to post it earlier but I wanted to explain how some of those posts have Chargés d’Affaires running them and not Ambassadors......then I started to look at possibly cross referencing every vacant post with it's current staff...….I quickly lost motivation.
                        Cool. Just an FYI Paul, I'm not Shawn.
                        "I am Groot"
                        - Groot

Comment

Originally posted by Marmat View Post

Enjoy!

Ah, okay, THAT makes sense!
                          Good point, Trump needs to get on that.
                          Do you think that if he does, these guys will stop hammering away at him for a day?

Yeah, me neither.
                          IMHO, they will just look for ways to ruin the lives of each and every single person Trump shows any approval of, even if they used to be "acceptable" human beings before Trump showed them any consideration at all, for any reason, at any time.
                          As is always the case.

Hmmm.... maybe THAT is why he hasn't got enough nominees, eh?

Who wants to work as an ambassador when they know that AntiFa terrorists could attack your home & family while you are away?

Comment

…….I'm not tracking how that plays into the Central African Republic? The finished their mission in Eastern CAR last spring and left. The MSG Marines are just Embassy security...….how did you pull Congo troops being staged?
                            was on the news this weekend. Incase they have to evac Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post

was on the news this weekend. Incase they have to evac Americans.
                              Okay, I just read the WaPo article, I can see where the confusion comes from. We were discussing the Central African Republic (C.A.R.).

The WaPo article posted that "Trump said military personnel had deployed to Central Africa." The article later posts where they were deployed: Gabon. "More will deploy as needed to Gabon, Congo, or neighboring Republic of Congo."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d8f79aae0e5f

Central Africa consists of 9 different countries, C.A.R. is one of them. Trump should have been more specific. It would be like saying that we deployed troops to Asia....

Comment

Okay, I just read the WaPo article, I can see where the confusion comes from. We were discussing the Central African Republic (C.A.R.).

The WaPo article posted that "Trump said military personnel had deployed to Central Africa." The article later posts where they were deployed: Gabon. "More will deploy as needed to Gabon, Congo, or neighboring Republic of Congo."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.d8f79aae0e5f

Central Africa consists of 9 different countries, C.A.R. is one of them. Trump should have been more specific. It would be like saying that we deployed troops to Asia....
                                for once it not really Trumps fault. With how often they change names in that region you have to have a program to know who is who.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X