Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Smart Phone Conversations are being monitored.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Smart Phone Conversations are being monitored.

It is not just by the NSA, Your private phone conversation is also being scanned for keywords by Google and Social Media sites.

Here is an example;

Last week, I purchased a cordless vacuum from a warehouse outlet in person. I called my sister, who has a Smart Phone, to tell her what I had purchased. When the call was ended, she started getting targeted advertising for that brand and model of cordless vacuum that I had bought.

So, how did they find out? Was it from My membership where she is also a member? Was it from a web search that she did not conduct?

It has to be from one source, keywords in the voice conversation given that there were no text messages sent on the subject.

Targeted ads when driving, targeted ads when shopping, you have given up all your rights to privacy if you use one.
    Last edited by SRV Ron; 06 Dec 18, 07:14. Reason: Finishing the post thanks to Windows posting for me.
    “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Your phone number connected to her phone number. That put her in your sales category. They're not listening to you, that is far too obsolete, slow, and expensive.

You made a call to a private number, in a duration such as to indicate that it was a relative or friend. They then cross-dumped your purchase options to both accounts.

No eavesdropping, just a software program.

You're far behind the tech curve, Ron.

This is no big deal.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
      It is not just by the NSA, Your private phone conversation is also being scanned for keywords by Google and Social Media sites.

Here is an example;

Last week, I purchased a cordless vacuum from a warehouse outlet in person. I called my sister, who has a Smart Phone, to tell her what I had purchased. When the call was ended, she started getting targeted advertising for that brand and model of cordless vacuum that I had bought.

So, how did they find out? Was it from My membership where she is also a member? Was it from a web search that she did not conduct?

It has to be from one source, keywords in the voice conversation given that there were no text messages sent on the subject.

Targeted ads when driving, targeted ads when shopping, you have given up all your rights to privacy if you use one.
      I have often maintained that the invention of the cellphone is more of a curse than a blessing. The way it has been exploited is definitely a curse.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Must be a new conspiracy theory going around in RW blogs. I wouldn't be so paranoid and afraid. The job of RW outlets is to scare you. Don't fall for it.

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
          Must be a new conspiracy theory going around in RW blogs. I wouldn't be so paranoid and afraid. The job of RW outlets is to scare you. Don't fall for it.
          Not scared, but don't like the erosion of privacy to cater to corporate business.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            Your phone number connected to her phone number. That put her in your sales category. They're not listening to you, that is far too obsolete, slow, and expensive.

You made a call to a private number, in a duration such as to indicate that it was a relative or friend. They then cross-dumped your purchase options to both accounts.

No eavesdropping, just a software program.

You're far behind the tech curve, Ron.

This is no big deal.
            Given that I don't use a smart phone and didn't use any web search or on line site to look for or search for the item in question, and neither did she, then how did the targeted ads know to show up just after the voice conversation? What triggered the ad for that specific item and model of it wasn't the voice key words Shark, cordless vacuum, and Ionflex?

It is not actual people listening to private conversations, that only happens in very specific snooping where there is suppose to be a court order to allow it. This has to be automated speech to text conversion by computers where the ad programming gets triggered by key words.

Given how every transaction made with credit, debit, or club card becomes a permanent record in some business database backed up by the NSA for possible data mining, I can understand how I got a refund check from Lights of America as my share of a class action settlement for false advertising on their LED light bulbs when I never answered any solicitation for such. What more proof is needed that the Feds are snooping in the corporate records for personal information.
            https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...sleading-light
            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Personal observation is not a RW blog. You WILL observe that snooping taking place if you are addicted to a Smartphone as so many people are now days.

Here is an easy test for you, do a web search for a specific consumer product. Better yet, click on the website in Facebook or even an ad from this site. Watch how quickly you will get targeted ads for that product for the next several days.
              “Breaking News,”

Comment

If Google was politically neutral then it may not be a problem. The privacy issue is a secondary concern for me at the moment.

Growing up in a small town everyone seemed to know more about my personal life than I did. People had an insatiable curiosity about who you were sleeping with, if and where you went to church, your loyalty to town teams, what kind of house and car you had, your finances in general, etc. Reputation is a real commodity in a small town and I benefited considerably from my dad's. Which means I could get away with things other kids could not. So I have a kind of jaded view on privacy. First that it is kind of an illusion and second that it has ever been much of a shield from abuse. What is more important than privacy is how people use information that they have about each other. Where privacy is impossible people learn to be more forgiving or civility becomes impossible.

The problem today is that civility and understanding is in short supply. We don't live in communities where it is essential to get along with each other. Where ruining each other's reputations is an obvious spiral into hell of endless retaliation.

Whether you agree with him or not James Damore's Google memo demonstrates not only how easy someone's reputation can be destroyed but how bias Google is. Damore was trying to increase diversity not challenge it his mistake was in thinking outside the rigidly enforced progressive dogma box. There are many other examples we could call on to demonstrate how bias at Google works but I will offer just one more. Google employees admitted to "scrubbing" the web of information on Christine Blassey Ford to prevent "victim shaming". Again you can see that as a good act of concern or rank hypocrisy, it doesn't matter. The point is that Google has a political bias.

As it relates to the OP we must be concerned how our personal information can be used to alter the political landscape.

Rules are required to stop political campaigns abusing personal data
                https://www.ft.com/content/ebe575d6-...6-da9d6c239ca8

I'm not endorsing new rules as proposed by the above article but simply pointing out that there is reason to be concerned. Either the tech companies are platforms or publishers, they want to be both, being able to censure and at the same time be free from liability. If conservative voices are being suppressed a solution is necessary due to the near monopoly status of companies like Google.
                We hunt the hunters

Comment

oh lord
                  "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                  - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

I can tell what co-workers are searching for online when I'm off because the products show up in adds while browsing on my phone or home laptop. My work system and personal systems are not connected, never have been. Never check my emails or personal stuff on the work system.

Why should a conversation be any different?
                    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Here is an easy test for you, do a web search for a specific consumer product. Better yet, click on the website in Facebook or even an ad from this site. Watch how quickly you will get targeted ads for that product for the next several days.
                      You can do some additional testing, too. Start talking about obscure products such as haemerrhoidal cream, toilet plungers, or trips to Bhutan and see if those ads start arriving.
                      ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                      2) Enjoy playing it
                      3) Enjoy sharing it
                      4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

https://lifehacker.com/facebook-isn-...may-1820193946

This is very much the same case that must be made against the Mueller investigation. In this case it is selective targeting of people that COULD be used to influence not just what they buy but how you feel about issues, in Mueller's case the investigation looks like selective enforcement and prosecutorial over-reach. Both undermine people's faith in our institutions, the former our principle of free speech and the second our faith in equal justice. It harms not just the people targeted but the people it purports to be seeking justice for. Much as affirmative action undermines faith in equality of opportunity putting a cloud over those it is supposed to help biased social media platforms discredit "progressive" voices. Social justice has become it's own worst enemy, for example the me to movement is now undermining women who are excluded from "mentoring" opportunities. If social media companies want to be platforms they need to act like platforms and stop censoring wrong think. Nothing is stopping Google or other companies from having campaigns to promote certain political opinions accept the cost in lost social capital that comes with taking an open and honest stand and the lost revenue as people leave the platform. At present these companies are hiding behind the illusion of being independent platforms where the bias can be hidden in algorithms and undisclosed preferential treatment for media outlets. The hypocrisy is clear in that these companies want their private information keep secret while playing fast and loose with the public's privacy. Sunshine is the best disinfectant and clearly little reaches the dark corners of the tech giants practices.
                        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Not scared, but don't like the erosion of privacy to cater to corporate business.
                          But don't you vote for the party that's all about corporate policy and not middle class policy?

Comment

But don't you vote for the party that's all about corporate policy and not middle class policy?
                            To which party are you referring? It was during the Clinton years that tech was really given a helping Federal hand, as well as its marching orders, courtesy of the 1996 Telecommunications Act.
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Given that I don't use a smart phone and didn't use any web search or on line site to look for or search for the item in question, and neither did she, then how did the targeted ads know to show up just after the voice conversation? What triggered the ad for that specific item and model of it wasn't the voice key words Shark, cordless vacuum, and Ionflex?
                              I told you how in my first post. The people who own the infrastructure you use (cell transmission services, credit cards, debit cards, etc) have software monitoring patterns of use.

It's not snooping: you gave them the right when you use a phone, credit card, debit card, etc. Search warrants are only for LE agencies; although to obtain a great of of data owned by corporations, all we need is a subpoena.
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X