Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President G.H.W. Bush Passes Away

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    "Read my lips...no new taxes..."
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      "Read my lips...no new taxes..."
      It figures that you would make some stupid comment in a thread started to honor a late, great president.
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

      Comment


      • #18
        Give MM a break..I stated the comments.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

        you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          Give MM a break..I stated the comments.
          Yes you did, and they were just as stupid when you made them.
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

          Comment


          • #20
            I always refer to the the 1st President Bush as the best Bush President.

            I think he is the best president in my lifetime (since 1961). Apparently that makes me a country club Republican.

            The way his administration brought the coalition together for the first Gulf War was impressive. And he wisely saw that we didn't want to take over Iraq.

            It was a shame he didn't win reelection. I thought he was a lock to win reelection in 1992. To bad for America he didn't get his second term.
            "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
            Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

            Comment


            • #21
              No human is perfect and like all humanity he had his flaws - it would be stupid to pretend otherwise. His skills were in helping to keep the world safe and in so doing his nation secure but in the grubby world of domestic politics he was less sure footed. Some of his successors have been better able to negotiate the pig sty (whilst contributing to the ordure within) but whether they have contributed to making the world safer or his nation more secure is a very moot point.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
                For me personally, the best (and most honorable) President of my lifetime.
                He was a nice guy, a decent president, and did the USA proud.
                How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Tsar View Post

                  Yes you did, and they were just as stupid when you made them.
                  There is a point there which you missed. Political historians are telling us that Bush always felt badly about making that promise and then breaking it, and I'm sure they are right. Bush Sr. was a man of conscience and honor.

                  The real point, however, is that this is a history forum, and as such we are compelled to examine all sides of an issue, not just chase after the shiny stuff.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

                    He was a nice guy, a decent president, and did the USA proud.
                    I liked Eisenhower better, but I've been around longer.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      GHW worked very close will Bill Clinton, two former POTUS that worked together during Hurricane Katrina to help many lives affected by the disaster.

                      GHW was a talented athlete and a WW2 veteran, one may say GHW was an All American.
                      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
                      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

                      George S Patton

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Some George HW Bush quotations:

                        Bush to Nixon when Bush was the Republican national chairman:

                        'It is my considered judgment that you should now resign. I expect in your lonely, embattled position this would seem to you as an act of disloyalty from one you have supported and helped in so many ways. My own view is that I would now ill-serve a president whose massive accomplishments I will always respect and whose family I love, if I did not now give you my judgment.'-August 1974.

                        'We know what works: Freedom works. We know what's right: Freedom is right. We know how to secure a more just and prosperous life for man on earth: through free markets, free speech, free elections, and the exercise of free will unhampered by the state.'-20 January 1989.

                        'Look to the very heart of Europe, to Berlin, and you will see a great truth shining brighter with each passing day: The quest for freedom is stronger than steel, more permanent than concrete.'-November 1989.

                        'To those who say we no longer need a CIA, I say you're nuts. To those who want to dismantle CIA or put it under some other department...you're nuts, too. And to those who feel the right to know takes precedence over legitimate classification of documents or over protecting our most precious asset, our people, the same to you. You're nuts and so's the horse you came in on.'-17 September 1997 on the 50th birthday of the CIA.

                        'Who would have thought that I would be working with Bill Clinton, of all people?...It's been an eye-opening and enjoyably experience for me to work with him on something truly apolitical.'-25 October 2005 on the work both of them did on tsunami and hurricane relief.

                        'I do not like broccoli, and I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm president of the United States, and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli.'-22 March 1990.
                        We are not now that strength which in old days
                        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I think people should pause to consider what an honor society looks like. Honor can quickly degenerate into tribal warfare. In a free society we do not judge leaders by their principles but by how well they keep chaos controlled allowing every citizen to fulfill their maximum potential. Freedom is dependent on a society keeping honor from degenerating into chaos.

                          What has set the U.S. apart from other nations is a fundamental belief in pragmatism. It's not that the ends justify the means but rather that the ends must sustain the means. Can we is as important as should we in affairs of state.

                          Compromise is an essential component of a functional representative government. It is simply not enough to have principles no matter how lofty when the non ideological world falls into chaos. You must first secure the means before even considering the means.

                          Personal and public morality are different animals. Give to Caesar what is Caesars and to God what is God's. Caesar's responsibility is to prevent the chaos in which personal morality is strained.

                          Dying for the God emperor was honorable but suicidal not just for the individual Japanese soldier but the empire itself. Even if the Japanese leadership had had the best interest of all Asians in mind and there had been not a shred of racism failure to secure the means to reach victory before going to war would have been a crime.
                          We hunt the hunters

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Massena View Post
                            Some George HW Bush quotations:

                            Bush to Nixon when Bush was the Republican national chairman:

                            'It is my considered judgment that you should now resign. I expect in your lonely, embattled position this would seem to you as an act of disloyalty from one you have supported and helped in so many ways. My own view is that I would now ill-serve a president whose massive accomplishments I will always respect and whose family I love, if I did not now give you my judgment.'-August 1974.

                            'We know what works: Freedom works. We know what's right: Freedom is right. We know how to secure a more just and prosperous life for man on earth: through free markets, free speech, free elections, and the exercise of free will unhampered by the state.'-20 January 1989.

                            'Look to the very heart of Europe, to Berlin, and you will see a great truth shining brighter with each passing day: The quest for freedom is stronger than steel, more permanent than concrete.'-November 1989.

                            'To those who say we no longer need a CIA, I say you're nuts. To those who want to dismantle CIA or put it under some other department...you're nuts, too. And to those who feel the right to know takes precedence over legitimate classification of documents or over protecting our most precious asset, our people, the same to you. You're nuts and so's the horse you came in on.'-17 September 1997 on the 50th birthday of the CIA.

                            'Who would have thought that I would be working with Bill Clinton, of all people?...It's been an eye-opening and enjoyably experience for me to work with him on something truly apolitical.'-25 October 2005 on the work both of them did on tsunami and hurricane relief.

                            'I do not like broccoli, and I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm president of the United States, and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli.'-22 March 1990.
                            What he said in January 1989 and November 1989 was wrong . Attenuating circumstance is that he had no understanding of the world outside the US, as most American politicians .They think that America has a mission , which is not so .God save us from people with a mission .

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              There is an overwhelming tendency for American presidents to view the rest of the world through the lens of what has worked for America, without regard for historical or cultural realities.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                'They’re taking all of the seats out,' President Trump told reporters as they returned from Argentina on Saturday. Bush will be honored with an elaborate week-long state funeral.
                                "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

                                "It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X