Trump Visits California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Visits California

Trump is visiting California. I'm not sure what he can do, other than meet with firefighter management, allocate resources, and improve morale by visiting devastated Californians. I'm sure some people want to see him pilot a firefighting plane, but let's be realistic.

The camo USA hat is also cool.
    President Donald Trump visited Malibu on Saturday to survey the damage wrought by the Woolsey Fire - his second California stop as authorities search for more than 1,200 missing in Paradise.
    "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

He's doing very well insulting people by Twitter, denying climate change, and not understanding that there is a difference between California and Finland. In short, he doesn't know squat.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

California is asking or billions more in disaster funding while they refuse to manage their forests.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
        He's doing very well insulting people by Twitter, denying climate change, and not understanding that there is a difference between California and Finland. In short, he doesn't know squat.
        I intentionally left it to the Never-Trumpers to turn these peoples tragedies into a political hit. You’re as predictable as fish in a pond.
        "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          California is asking or billions more in disaster funding while they refuse to manage their forests.
          Interestingly, about 60% of the forests in California are managed by the federal government, not the state of California.

And there are no forests in or near Malibu. The hills are covered by scrub which is bone dry because of the drought. Further, the Santa Ana winds are dangerous in that they spread the fires very quickly.
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
            Trump is visiting California. I'm not sure what he can do, other than meet with firefighter management, allocate resources, and improve morale by visiting devastated Californians. I'm sure some people want to see him pilot a firefighting plane, but let's be realistic.

The camo USA hat is also cool.
            Hi American87

Basically he's doing what's expected when a natural disaster hits.

The only thing with such visits is the timing, in terms of it being to late or to early, and getting in everyone's way.
            I don't think any sane person expects Trump or any Presdient to actually fight the fires themselves, though the
            optics would be good if but cynical

Regards

Andy H

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Interestingly, about 60% of the forests in California are managed by the federal government, not the state of California.

And there are no forests in or near Malibu. The hills are covered by scrub which is bone dry because of the drought. Further, the Santa Ana winds are dangerous in that they spread the fires very quickly.
              It isn't forest mainly involved in these fires. It is brush land. Much of it is controlled by the California Coastal Commission and they won't let anyone do anything with land under their control without going through long and convoluted processes. It can take 10 years to get something simple through this government body.

Here's an example out of Malibu that just burned to the ground. They started with the commission on a project in 2000. In 2005 they reached a settlement with the commission.

http://www.malibucomplete.com/mc_his...ty_coastal.php

That's 5 years government agency to agency. Imagine what a private land owner with limited resources goes through.

Here's a case that took 33 years to resolve with them.

https://www.courthousenews.com/coast...-lagoon-trail/

They are the major road block to any new off shore drilling on the California coast.

When it comes to brush clearing, you are risking huge fines and even having your land confiscated if you go against the commission. So, California burns to the ground.

Comment

Hi

Isn't some of issue with a fair proportion of the land (40%) being in private hands and they have little or no incentive to clear the brush bar for some zoning laws about bush clearance around a dwelling etc?

Regards

Andy H
                "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

I intentionally left it to the Never-Trumpers to turn these peoples tragedies into a political hit. You’re as predictable as fish in a pond.

Actually, it was your Trump who immediately twittered these peoples tragedies into a political hit.
                  "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

"Never Pass On a Good Tragedy" That's the left for you.
                    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      When it comes to brush clearing, you are risking huge fines and even having your land confiscated if you go against the commission. So, California burns to the ground.
                      Whenever liberal ideology is enacted as policy or legislation, the death toll always goes up.
                      For my wife, in treatment for pancreatic cancer. Thank you for your support.

https://www.gofundme.com/moving-moun...NPHmyoDrYlEkfE

Comment

I thought the comment about Finland not having forest fires one worthy of Dan Quayle. I've been in Finland in the summer and very nice it was but not blistering hot with no rain for months and months and months.
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

California wildfires: Finland bemused by Trump raking comment
                          https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46256296
                          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

This is an interesting analysis:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                              Hi

Isn't some of issue with a fair proportion of the land (40%) being in private hands and they have little or no incentive to clear the brush bar for some zoning laws about bush clearance around a dwelling etc?

Regards

Andy H
                              The private landowners are the ones that get slapped with the fines if they dare to clear the brush further away from their homes because of some endangered mice and other rare creatures.
                              https://www.kcet.org/redefine/califo...ngered-species
                              The politicians in California have created this mess over the years. It is not just the forests going up in flames.
                              https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...r05-story.html
                              “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X