Did Jim Acosta Assault Female Intern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddybhoy View Post

Well for one thing you seem incapable of understanding my point. So I will explain it as I would a child.

His left arm was outstretched, she approached him, he pivoted away, he straightened up,, she was still close to him, he brought his left arm down to his side and incidentally made contact.

No intentional contact, therefore no intent.

No. I fully understood your belief. I also fully understand that you have recognized you misread my post and misrepresented what I said and are trying to ignore that.

You don't understand the concept of "intent" in this context, but won't let that stop you.

I will explain.
    His action in moving the left arm was done intentionally, he moved as if to block her.
    His contact was the result of voluntary, intentional acts.
    I have not said he tried to hurt her or that he tried to insult or provoke her.
    I have little doubt that a court of law would find that his actions showed the requisite intent.. (I have some expertise here)

I have not said he is guilty of battery as the criminal charge has additional elements beyond intending to contact her.

Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Even if his actions don’t qualify exactly as a battery, it was still hostile. He was told to be quiet so another reporter could ask a question, he refused, then he used physical force to prevent a female intern from taking his mic. Even if it was an accident he should have apologized right away like a gentleman. It was disgusting behavior, in my opinion. The media has taken Trumps comments out of context, which is unfortunate.
      "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Tell me. You brought the subject up.
        I never claimed his profession is relevant.
        I merely commented on the fact that he "technically" battered her.

I have a feeling that if Trump treated a woman in the same way, there would be calls that he step down.
        If we remove trump from the discussion, just how much are you going to support a rich journalist pushing away a young female intern?
        Is that typically the type of behavior we will support or is it ok only if trump is factored in?

This is really a small matter, but it is interesting how people will spring to the defense of Acosta simply because trump was there.
        If you saw a colleague do the same thing in a work setting would you be embarrassed by his behavior or would you rush to defend him from any criticism?

I have managed to go my entire career without ever feeling the need to push or physically block a female.
        I suspect the same is true for you too.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

The only question is whether his contact was of an "insulting or provoking nature".
          You painted yourself into a corner, you said he intentionally made contact, you said it was insulting or provocative

Would you take the case? Is it battery? Be a man and give a proper answer.

Comment

SHE initiated the body contact not he

Well if you want to hang your hat on "self defense" feel free, but it doesn't help.

I believe this gets into a different issue.
            Did she have a right to try and take the mic? yes.
            Did he have a right to retain exclusive control of the mic? no.

Were her efforts to resume control of what she had a right to reasonable? That is debatable
            Regardless, he never had a right to use force (contact) to prevent her from taking control of the mic..

Comment

Oh I see...not that he did but you would show no signs of resistance if someone try's to rip something, that was rightfully given for your use out of your hand. What if s"he had smiled and ask, "PLEASE"
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Well if you want to hang your hat on "self defense" feel free, but it doesn't help.

I believe this gets into a different issue.
                Did she have a right to try and take the mic? yes.
                Did he have a right to retain exclusive control of the mic? no.

Were her efforts to resume control of what she had a right to reasonable? That is debatable
                Regardless, he never had a right to use force (contact) to prevent her from taking control of the mic..
                I'm not hanging my hat on anything but the ridiculous claim of assault by the male.

Comment

Nonsense, all of it.
                  Reflex actions. It's clear what happened, making a fuss out of this is so………...…... American.
                  "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return"

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
                    Even if his actions don’t qualify exactly as a battery, it was still hostile. He was told to be quiet so another reporter could ask a question, he refused, then he used physical force to prevent a female intern from taking his mic. Even if it was an accident he should have apologized right away like a gentleman. It was disgusting behavior, in my opinion. The media has taken Trumps comments out of context, which is unfortunate.
                    Others my star acting like gentlemen when Trump takes the lead. Please hold your breath until that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by American87 View Post
                      Two people were 'hostile' at the news conference: Trump and the intern. Trump set the tone for the news conference and he was openly hostile towards the reporters.
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Others my star acting like gentlemen when Trump takes the lead. Please hold your breath until that happens.
                        When Trump begins to act like a gentleman instead of a combatant, then perhaps everyone else will take his lead. But, in order to qualify as a gentleman, you have to be a man first, and Trump loses on both counts.
                        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Let's get something straight...

Acoster did not have a right to be in the Whitehouse.
                          Acoster had permission to be there.
                          Acoster did not have a right to the microphone - the intern did.
                          She had the authority to take the mic from Acoster.

As the video shows, it is obvious that Acoster pushed back on the intern's arm as she was trying to get the mic from Acoster.
                          {}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

BS:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/media...ion/index.html

Comment

Technically, he committed a battery.

A person may be charged with the crime of battery under Illinois law if he or she makes actual physical contact with another individual with the intent to injure, provoke, or insult that person.

The only question is whether his contact was of an "insulting or provoking nature".
                              actually looking at the video she may of assaulted him because she reached across his body and into his personal space and caused the contact.

But on the other hand bad form by him and bad form by the President.

Comment

You are trying to justify his actions which is an entirely different issue.

The contact he made with her wasn't in self defense and was intentional. He intended to move his hand down and clearly was intending to block her.
                                Whether his actions were reasonable isn't the point.
                                That is why I keep saying "technically" a battery.
                                Whether it meets the rest of the elements of the actual crime remains to be seen.

And before you lie about what I said, you might want to reread what is actually in my post. I said that the only question is whether it is insulting or provocative.
                                See #4

So please tell me where I am mistaken. This will be fascinating.
                                Wrong about self defense I refer you to your childhood. Where more than likely you or your frends may of played a game in which someone acts like they are going to do something and you automatically react.

That what I saw here. Her movement was sudden and unexpected and he reacted. I was actually surprised by her movement.

btw I also like to put this one of in the catergory suppose it was a male reaching for the mic would we being seeing the same thing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X