Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Checked around on government support for egg farmers. Nothing to take to the bank. One no to I don't know for sure but farmers get some support. Eggs come from all over the NW European EU country's so how and why the pricing goes I don't know but would not be surprised that there is some sort of price control to keep the playing field level

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Thing that drive property cost is of course population density. Germany has 82 million in the space of MT. 82 mil is more than NY, FL, TX and CA combined or close to it.

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Those sort as well as Bio Eggs are the main sell here and 10 eggs, no dz, remain less than two Euro.
    The **** that you write is amazing.

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by Karri View Post
    Why is it insanity?

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    California has passed a law requiring all egg production be "cage free" by 2025. The law also requires specific larger cage sizes for calves and pigs.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...gs-a-state-law

Want to bet more farmers move out of California...
    They are starting the veganism world order.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    VAT does hurt, sort of but when you pay it for everything the people don't seem to complain, their used to it. The one that chaps my ask is the gasoline. There is already something like 86 cent Euro tax per liter, call gasoline tax but then the sob's tax the tax when you pay for the gas with the vat added to the gasoline tax. The Germans call privately owned cars the Milk Cows of the economy.
    Last edited by Half Pint John; 09 Nov 18, 12:29.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied

I don't know but well check for info.

According to this link the price of eggs is lower in the US and those in Germany a bit higher

https://shop.rewe.de/productList?search=eier

2.39 per 10.

You can look around at the cost of most foods. These prices are for home delivery.
    Found this:

The price of 12 eggs, large in New York City is 4.12 EUR ($4.70)

https://www.expatistan.com/price/eggs/new-york-city/EUR
    Or 3.43 EUR for ten.

Later on that same page:

Don't know where that is exactly, so I went with my guess as to your whereabouts:

Cost of living in Stuttgart, Germany compared to New York City, United States

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...city/stuttgart
    So the cost of living in Stuttgart compares very favorably with that of NYC. No surprise, really: real estate alone here will kill you, and has to be factored into the price of nearly everything else.

Wonder what it would look like if the subsidies were taken out, though. For example, wouldn't transportation and "personal care" come in a lot closer if the amounts taxed were treated as out-of-pocket? Take a look at gas:

1 liter (1/4 gallon) of gas 1.40 ($1.60) $0.82 + 96%
    Gas is rather higher in NYS than it is nationally, and higher in NYC still. That 96% difference is taxes I suspect. On average, the personal income tax bite in Germany is a third higher than it is in the US.

The VAT is a b*tch, though.

NYS sales tax is 4.5%. NYC's is 4%. Tack on the MTA sales tax of 0.375%, and real sales tax here is 8.875%. NYS has another $0.25/gal for gas, and various Federal taxes are $0.184/gal. So in NYC, about 15% of the price of gas is various taxes. It appears that in Germany it's a lot higher. That should be factored into cost of living as well, otherwise these comparisons are rather meaningless. "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_...s_a_free_lunch

Last edited by slick_miester; 08 Nov 18, 17:39. Reason: This new software does not accept the EUR sign as a character

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    We buy ours locally from folks who keep chickens and sell the eggs. Been doing it for years. One of the many benefits of living in the country.

Meanwhile, California is rapidly legislating itself out of existence.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by johns624 View Post
    How many did you choke? Rimshot!
    Not possible. The stench engendered a turtling response.

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    I worked a chicken "farm" one summer when I was in high school. Worst summer of my life.
    How many did you choke? Rimshot!

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    replied

If my conversions are right, ten eggs in New York run about 3.90 EUR, or twice of your neighborhood. The obvious question is, are poultry farmers over there subsidized by government?

Half a million tons of chicken sh*t smelled like a lot of things, but none of them were money.
    Is there anything that isn't?

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied

If my conversions are right, ten eggs in New York run about 3.90 EUR, or twice of your neighborhood. The obvious question is, are poultry farmers over there subsidized by government?

Half a million tons of chicken sh*t smelled like a lot of things, but none of them were money.
    I don't know but well check for info.

According to this link the price of eggs is lower in the US and those in Germany a bit higher

https://shop.rewe.de/productList?search=eier

2.39 per 10.

You can look around at the cost of most foods. These prices are for home delivery.
    Last edited by Half Pint John; 08 Nov 18, 14:09.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Those sort as well as Bio Eggs are the main sell here and 10 eggs, no dz, remain less than two Euro.

Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
    In my line of work I've had to walk by a few of those. Can't imagine working in one. I guess to some it smells like money.

Leave a comment:

• BorderRuffian
    replied
    I worked a chicken "farm" one summer when I was in high school. Worst summer of my life.
    In my line of work I've had to walk by a few of those. Can't imagine working in one. I guess to some it smells like money.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

• asterix
    New York AG to sue the NRA
    by asterix
    New York Attorney General Letitia James launches lawsuit against the National Rifle Association alleging financial discrepancies:

https...
    Today, 05:46
  • casanova
    Emanuel Macron
    by casanova
    The French president Emmanuel Macron visited Beirut, Libanon. He watched the devastation in the city, caused by the Amoniumnitrat explosion....
    Today, 01:27
  • casanova
    Beirut
    by casanova
    A awful, dedoerate situation for the population in Beirut, Libanon. A Amoniumnitrat-explosion was the cause of the catastrophe....
    Yesterday, 23:35
Working...
X