No announcement yet.

More California insanity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked a chicken "farm" one summer when I was in high school. Worst summer of my life. It was a big building that housed about half a million birds. Environmental conditions were controlled to stimulate egg production. The birds were restricted to cages about the size of a suburban mailbox. Hens pumped out one egg a day. I can't see how banning that type of farming won't cause prices to increase to the point that eggs will be un-affordable. There are other issues in play, as well.

The new legislation for laying hens in the European Union put a ban on conventional cages. Production systems must now provide the hens with access to a nest, a perch, and material for dust bathing. These requirements will improve the behavioral aspects of animal welfare. However, when hens are kept with access to litter, it is a concern that polluted air may become an increased threat to health and therefore also a welfare problem. This article reviews the literature regarding the health and welfare effects birds experience when exposed to barn dust. Dust is composed of inorganic and organic compounds, from the birds themselves as well as from feed, litter, and building materials. Dust may be a vector for microorganisms and toxins. In general, studies indicate that housing systems where laying hens have access to litter as aviaries and floor systems consistently have higher concentrations of suspended dust than caged hens with little (furnished cages) or no access to litter (conventional cages). The higher dust levels in aviaries and floor housing are also caused by increased bird activity in the non-cage systems. . . . .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4598690/
    California's proposal strikes me as bad all the way around.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Those sort as well as Bio Eggs are the main sell here and 10 eggs, no dz, remain less than two Euro.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        I worked a chicken "farm" one summer when I was in high school. Worst summer of my life.
        In my line of work I've had to walk by a few of those. Can't imagine working in one. I guess to some it smells like money.

{}

"Any story sounds true until someone tells the other side and sets the record straight." -Proverbs 18:17

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
          Those sort as well as Bio Eggs are the main sell here and 10 eggs, no dz, remain less than two Euro.
          If my conversions are right, ten eggs in New York run about 3.90 EUR, or twice of your neighborhood. The obvious question is, are poultry farmers over there subsidized by government?

Originally posted by BorderRuffian View Post
          In my line of work I've had to walk by a few of those. Can't imagine working in one. I guess to some it smells like money.
          Half a million tons of chicken sh*t smelled like a lot of things, but none of them were money.

Comment

If my conversions are right, ten eggs in New York run about 3.90 EUR, or twice of your neighborhood. The obvious question is, are poultry farmers over there subsidized by government?

Half a million tons of chicken sh*t smelled like a lot of things, but none of them were money.
            I don't know but well check for info.

According to this link the price of eggs is lower in the US and those in Germany a bit higher

https://shop.rewe.de/productList?search=eier

2.39 per 10.

You can look around at the cost of most foods. These prices are for home delivery.
            Last edited by Half Pint John; 08 Nov 18, 14:09.

Comment

Is there anything that isn't?
              We hunt the hunters

Comment

I worked a chicken "farm" one summer when I was in high school. Worst summer of my life.
                How many did you choke? Rimshot!

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                  How many did you choke? Rimshot!
                  Not possible. The stench engendered a turtling response.

Comment

We buy ours locally from folks who keep chickens and sell the eggs. Been doing it for years. One of the many benefits of living in the country.

Meanwhile, California is rapidly legislating itself out of existence.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I don't know but well check for info.

According to this link the price of eggs is lower in the US and those in Germany a bit higher

https://shop.rewe.de/productList?search=eier

2.39 per 10.

You can look around at the cost of most foods. These prices are for home delivery.
                      Found this:

The price of 12 eggs, large in New York City is 4.12 EUR ($4.70)

https://www.expatistan.com/price/eggs/new-york-city/EUR
                      Or 3.43 EUR for ten.

Later on that same page:

Don't know where that is exactly, so I went with my guess as to your whereabouts:

Cost of living in Stuttgart, Germany compared to New York City, United States

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...city/stuttgart
                      So the cost of living in Stuttgart compares very favorably with that of NYC. No surprise, really: real estate alone here will kill you, and has to be factored into the price of nearly everything else.

Wonder what it would look like if the subsidies were taken out, though. For example, wouldn't transportation and "personal care" come in a lot closer if the amounts taxed were treated as out-of-pocket? Take a look at gas:

1 liter (1/4 gallon) of gas 1.40 ($1.60) $0.82 + 96%
                      Gas is rather higher in NYS than it is nationally, and higher in NYC still. That 96% difference is taxes I suspect. On average, the personal income tax bite in Germany is a third higher than it is in the US.

The VAT is a b*tch, though.

NYS sales tax is 4.5%. NYC's is 4%. Tack on the MTA sales tax of 0.375%, and real sales tax here is 8.875%. NYS has another $0.25/gal for gas, and various Federal taxes are $0.184/gal. So in NYC, about 15% of the price of gas is various taxes. It appears that in Germany it's a lot higher. That should be factored into cost of living as well, otherwise these comparisons are rather meaningless. "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_...s_a_free_lunch

Last edited by slick_miester; 08 Nov 18, 17:39. Reason: This new software does not accept the EUR sign as a character

Comment

VAT does hurt, sort of but when you pay it for everything the people don't seem to complain, their used to it. The one that chaps my ask is the gasoline. There is already something like 86 cent Euro tax per liter, call gasoline tax but then the sob's tax the tax when you pay for the gas with the vat added to the gasoline tax. The Germans call privately owned cars the Milk Cows of the economy.
                        Last edited by Half Pint John; 09 Nov 18, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          California has passed a law requiring all egg production be "cage free" by 2025. The law also requires specific larger cage sizes for calves and pigs.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...gs-a-state-law

Want to bet more farmers move out of California...
                          They are starting the veganism world order.
                          My worst jump story:
                          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                          No lie.

~
                          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                            Why is it insanity?
                            My worst jump story:
                            No lie.

~
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

The **** that you write is amazing.
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Thing that drive property cost is of course population density. Germany has 82 million in the space of MT. 82 mil is more than NY, FL, TX and CA combined or close to it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X