Why Intellectuals Matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Intellectuals Matter

To quote Steven Weinberg " The insights of philosophers have occasionally benefited physicists, but generally in a negative fashion – by protecting them from the preconceptions of other philosophers."

The public intellectual Thomas Sowell takes a similar stance on intellectuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wln6lNTxVpY&t=2532s

In the interview Sowell points out how intellectuals negatively impact public policy.

It seems that Trump is proving Sowell's spoken ideas on intellectuals by actions not words. Almost every prediction by intellectuals concerning Trump has proven wrong from that he had no chance of winning to where we are today. Granted that he still has plenty of time to be a disaster.

As a side note are historians intellectuals or scholars and what do you think the difference is?
    We hunt the hunters

Yes, of course...Our self proclaimed intellectual. Only in your own mind and so what if you are? If you were, your not, you wouldn't be wasting time here.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
      To quote Steven Weinberg " The insights of philosophers have occasionally benefited physicists, but generally in a negative fashion – by protecting them from the preconceptions of other philosophers."

In the interview Sowell points out how intellectuals negatively impact public policy.

It seems that Trump is proving Sowell's spoken ideas on intellectuals by actions not words. Almost every prediction by intellectuals concerning Trump has proven wrong from that he had no chance of winning to where we are today. Granted that he still has plenty of time to be a disaster.

As a side note are historians intellectuals or scholars and what do you think the difference is?
      I would say scholars, since they study occurrences which have happened as opposed to thinking about what might happen as the intellectuals.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        Yes, of course...Our self proclaimed intellectual. Only in your own mind and so what if you are? If you were, your not, you wouldn't be wasting time here.
        And you are our self-proclaimed chief hater and insulter, with nothing to say but to attack others and try to tear them down to your level.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

Scholars and intellectuals are one in the same. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual

"The determining factor for a Thinker (historian, philosopher, scientist, writer, artist, et al.) to be considered a public intellectual is the degree to which he or she is implicated and engaged with the vital reality of the contemporary world; that is to say, participation in the public affairs of society. Consequently, being designated as a public intellectual is determined by the degree of influence of the designator's motivations, opinions, and options of action (social, political, ideological), and by affinity with the given thinker; therefore:..."

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I would say scholars, since they study occurrences which have happened as opposed to thinking about what might happen as the intellectuals.
            Please see my above post.
            Last edited by JustAGuy; 31 Oct 18, 18:44.

Comment

And you are our self-proclaimed chief hater and insulter, with nothing to say but to attack others and try to tear them down to your level.
              Seems to me the hate on this forum comes from you and those that believe as you do.
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Which remains higher than your own. What have you just tried to do other than TRY to tear me down to your level you hypocritical JA

Comment

Intellectuals matter when they actually are intellectuals. Today though, all-too-often we encounter intellectualism that is disguised dogmatism and political correctness trying to pass their frauds off on everyone.

For example, the Left heaped praise on Obama as being an intellectual President and "one of them." He was definitely a Leftist, but an intellectual? Not a chance. Obama knew how to talk the talk but when it came to producing results, or any sort of deep thinking, he proved utterly devoid of capacity. His published reading lists were short in length, long on pop fiction, and devoid of deeper literature.

https://democracyjournal.org/alcove/...-as-president/

https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publ...-intellectuals

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...ellectual.html

https://theundercurrent.org/obama-the-intellectual/

The true intellectual-- the modern equivalent of the Man of Letters, or the great minds of the past-- is a rare beast indeed. Academia today is chock-a-block with people claiming the title who are little more than political commentators full of puffery and able to spout the latest jargon while remaining firmly within the dogmatic lines of their position on the political spectrum. They are anything but intellectual.

Comment

The true intellectual-- the modern equivalent of the Man of Letters, or the great minds of the past-- is a rare beast indeed. Academia today is chock-a-block with people claiming the title who are little more than political commentators full of puffery and able to spout the latest jargon while remaining firmly within the dogmatic lines of their position on the political spectrum. They are anything but intellectual.
                    I'm sure you have a link for those words. They surely are not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

I'm sure you have a link for those words. They surely are not yours.
                      They are mine, and stop calling me Shirley.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

They are mine, and stop calling me Shirley.
                        Don't drop the soap again Shirley.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          I'm going to agree with you. I suspect it comes from the straight jacket that one has to don in order to gain tenure at a modern US university. The last "man of letters" that comes to my mind was Marshall McLuhan -- and he wasn't even American. Most intellectuals I've known come across like the Columbia professor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRcMsqCbzWk

Maybe PJ O'Rourke can qualify as a man of letters, but isn't he too much of a humorist to be viewed as a public intellectual? Isn't he more of a contemporary Mark Twain?

Our intellectual pursuits these days mirror out politics: completely binary. In such a climate, I'm not even sure that genuinely intellectual pursuits are possible.
                          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Did anyone watch the video?
                            We hunt the hunters

Comment

I did watch the video. On the subject of who might qualify, Slick offers PJ O'Rourke. I'd offer Dennis Prager. Yes, he's a radio show host, but his show generally doesn't deal with politics. Much of it deals with life and discussions about life. He has an "Happiness hour," where he discusses topics on what makes for happiness in life. Or, his "Male-Female hour" where he discusses the differences between men and women. He also does Prager University.

Now, you can disagree with everything he says. That doesn't disclude him from being an intellectual. The fact that he's very polite and responds, in particular, to those with differences to his point of view would even argue more for him being one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X