Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Time to End Affirmative Action

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's Time to End Affirmative Action

    Law suit over discrimination against Asians at Harvard put affirmative action in the spotlight.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/u...n-harvard.html

    I supported affirmative action years ago because discrimination against minorities was a logical extension of obvious racial prejudices in society. This was a time when telling of racist and misogynistic jokes in the workplace was common. More importantly minorities were so under represented in professional jobs that it created a chilling effect on minority kids who had talent but lacked the self confidence to pursue a career. The feeling amount minorities was that they didn't just need to be as good a candidate but better than their white counter parts and would have to work twice as hard.

    Some will argue that prejudice is still a barrier to minorities seeking careers. Even if that is the case all races have members that because of social economic status will never achieve their innate potential. More importantly affirmative action now stigmatized minorities to such an extent that they have to be better than their non minority counterparts to not be suspect in the eyes of their coworkers.

    My argument is that affirmative action was never intended to be a permanent fixture of our institutions. What good it may have done has probably been exhausted. The new arguments about diversity are essential a vain attempt to inculturate discrimination based on race and sex without regard to merit. Attempts to deligitmize hard work and competency is a greater threat to society than the greatly reduce racism that can best be dealt with by social censure in any case.
    We hunt the hunters

  • #2
    Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
    Law suit over discrimination against Asians at Harvard put affirmative action in the spotlight.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/u...n-harvard.html

    I supported affirmative action years ago because discrimination against minorities was a logical extension of obvious racial prejudices in society. This was a time when telling of racist and misogynistic jokes in the workplace was common. More importantly minorities were so under represented in professional jobs that it created a chilling effect on minority kids who had talent but lacked the self confidence to pursue a career. The feeling amount minorities was that they didn't just need to be as good a candidate but better than their white counter parts and would have to work twice as hard.

    Some will argue that prejudice is still a barrier to minorities seeking careers. Even if that is the case all races have members that because of social economic status will never achieve their innate potential. More importantly affirmative action now stigmatized minorities to such an extent that they have to be better than their non minority counterparts to not be suspect in the eyes of their coworkers.

    My argument is that affirmative action was never intended to be a permanent fixture of our institutions. What good it may have done has probably been exhausted. The new arguments about diversity are essential a vain attempt to inculturate discrimination based on race and sex without regard to merit. Attempts to deligitmize hard work and competency is a greater threat to society than the greatly reduce racism that can best be dealt with by social censure in any case.
    Based on the blatant racism by Trump, his administration, and his minions, affirmative action, of which I am not a supporter (depending on the issue) will continue and should.

    Comment


    • #3
      Notice that although we often see initiatives to challenge the universities' practices of admissions with respect to race, we never hear similar challenges to challenge practices of admissions with respect to the children of alumni who get preferential treatment.
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pamak View Post
        Notice that although we often see initiatives to challenge the universities' practices of admissions with respect to race, we never hear similar challenges to challenge practices of admissions with respect to the children of alumni who get preferential treatment.
        There are many impediments to the restoration of a meritocracy your example is valid. Another is crony capitalism but we are focused on a particular example.

        I find your constant polarization of issues offensive. It reflects the reason so many former liberals now want to distance themselves from the liberal establishment and refer to themselves as libertarians or classical liberals etc. Identity politics when played by the left or the right is a dangerous game. I should not have to remind you that I have been perhaps the most critical person on the forum of banksterism and crony capitalism.
        We hunt the hunters

        Comment


        • #5
          Fix the issue that makes affirmative action necessary first, then there would be no need for it.
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
          - Benjamin Franklin

          The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

          Comment


          • #6
            Affirmative action cost me a promotion at work several years ago. It's way past due that this institution was ended.
            The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

            Comment


            • #7
              Poor baby. Maybe you didn't deserve a promotion-did you ever consider that?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Massena View Post
                Poor baby. Maybe you didn't deserve a promotion-did you ever consider that?
                On the other hand, I've seen people get promotions based on affirmative action alone who were totally undeserving of those promotions based on things like education, competence, ability, and judgement.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

                  On the other hand, I've seen people get promotions based on affirmative action alone who were totally undeserving of those promotions based on things like education, competence, ability, and judgement.
                  For proper context, this is coming from a person who believe in racial superiority.
                  "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                  - Benjamin Franklin

                  The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

                    For proper context, this is coming from a person who believe in racial superiority.
                    You? Because I sure don't. And, the examples I'd give are so obvious it hurts.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In your words, white culture is superior. What does that imply?
                      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                      - Benjamin Franklin

                      The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I am a residential construction contractor on Long Island N.Y.

                        As such "affirmative action" does not affect me. The "minorities" are migrant workers of Spanish ancestry. And that vacuum that the migrants filled was made possible because the last few American generations do not like to work especially if its physical.

                        I saw the writing on the wall 20 years ago. There were a few border jumpers here and there on construction crews. Now they are the "majority" not the "minority"... They come to work every day, work overtime if you ask them, and many turn out to be great workers who are not just showing up for a paycheck but want to learn all they can.

                        Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                          In your words, white culture is superior. What does that imply?
                          No, those aren't my words. I want a colorblind society of unhyphenated Americans living in an American society.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                            Law suit over discrimination against Asians at Harvard put affirmative action in the spotlight.

                            https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/u...n-harvard.html

                            I supported affirmative action years ago because discrimination against minorities was a logical extension of obvious racial prejudices in society. This was a time when telling of racist and misogynistic jokes in the workplace was common. More importantly minorities were so under represented in professional jobs that it created a chilling effect on minority kids who had talent but lacked the self confidence to pursue a career. The feeling amount minorities was that they didn't just need to be as good a candidate but better than their white counter parts and would have to work twice as hard.

                            Some will argue that prejudice is still a barrier to minorities seeking careers. Even if that is the case all races have members that because of social economic status will never achieve their innate potential. More importantly affirmative action now stigmatized minorities to such an extent that they have to be better than their non minority counterparts to not be suspect in the eyes of their coworkers.

                            My argument is that affirmative action was never intended to be a permanent fixture of our institutions. What good it may have done has probably been exhausted. The new arguments about diversity are essential a vain attempt to inculturate discrimination based on race and sex without regard to merit. Attempts to deligitmize hard work and competency is a greater threat to society than the greatly reduce racism that can best be dealt with by social censure in any case.
                            Leave it alone. It now benefits white males who are officially now a minority.

                            Fair is fair, after all.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

                              On the other hand, I've seen people get promotions based on affirmative action alone who were totally undeserving of those promotions based on things like education, competence, ability, and judgement.
                              Massena is an idiot, of course--attacking me because I dared to give an example that clashed with his fanaticism. The job I had I was there for nearly 10 years. The person they put in the position was a black female. A friend of mine, I really liked her, but even she herself admitted that she didn't know why I wasn't given the promotion, since I had the experience and work record. I ended up having to do a lot of her work anyway until the company collapsed in on itself a couple of years later.
                              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X