It's Time to End Affirmative Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post

Alumni get preferential treatment? When? Where? By whom?
    All the time. I know a subpar academic performer who was admitted to Villanova for no other reason than her dad attended back in the day. I've seen the same for recent enrollees at Harvard, Cornell, Georgetown, Drexel. Legacy admission may not be as common as they once were, but they're still common enough.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

So what is your point slick? Wouldn't a fully racially integrated society in theory be as inclined towards unearned privilege everything else being equal? As Jordan Peterson points out hierarchies tend toward tyranny but you can't do without hierarchies. What is your vision for moving towards meritocracy?
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
        So what is your point slick? Wouldn't a fully racially integrated society in theory be as inclined towards unearned privilege everything else being equal? As Jordan Peterson points out hierarchies tend toward tyranny but you can't do without hierarchies. What is your vision for moving towards meritocracy?
        I didn't say that it was wrong, merely countering 101's contention that legacy admissions no longer exist.

Of course human society will form hierarchies of one sort or another. Every mammalian society forms hierarchies. It's unavoidable. Fortunately, the reach of our contemporary hierarchies need not equal those of the past. From caveman days, we formed societies for the purpose of self-defense: against animal predators, against other humans, as well. Throughout the millenia the societies grew in size: gangs, clans, tribes, city-states, kingdoms, empires. Each new growth was motivated by the society's need -- or its ruler's desire -- to organize ever larger and more potent armed forces, to fend off more and larger predators, presumably. Indeed, that's always been the selling point, whether one's speaking of Sumeria's Sargon, or Athens' Alcibiades urging an expedition to Sicily, or Rome, or Nazi Germany, or today's Republicans and Democrats and Crips and Bloods: "we need to be better organized, we need to be more united, we need to recruit more people like us, so that we will not be at the mercy of our enemies." Seeing a pattern at work here? Namely that whether the enemies are real or imagined, the solution is always the same: more force, more concentrated in the hands of the society's ruling elite. The Nazis and the Bolsheviks preached that they were surrounded by enemies on all fronts: mercantile British, licentious French, etc, etc. History has proven, however, that contrary to their governments' propaganda, the greatest threats to property, liberty, and life faced by the average German or average Soviet did not emanate from abroad, but from their own governments. I wonder if there's not a parallel at work in other countries, at more recent moments in history . . . .

Hierarchies are a natural consequence of people being different, possessed of different talents and capabilities. Elites are not. They are a consequence of people believing that a person possessed of superior talent is naturally a better person. The formation of governments by such elites is a consequence of the elites' desire to maintain and perpetuate their rule over the proles. After ten millenia of settled existence, there's no excuse for Homo sapiens to believe that tripe any more. Nowadays it's just sheer sloth.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

So if you read some BS and it fits your agenda, therefore it must be true.

I have three higher education degrees, I have never been asked about family alumni or saw any questions regarding such on any applications
          and have never heard this during interviews. I'm sure it happens, but not to the frequency you are mentioning.

GWB is still smarter than Obama and Obama is the product of affirmative action without a doubt.

First, let me say that if you choose to bring into play personal information regarding your 3 higher education degrees to support your claims, I see it as fair play to question your credibility. I will do this based on three reasons

a) people make claims in internet all the time which have nothing to do with reality

b) YOU, specifically, have given reasons to question your claims based on the personal information you choose to reveal to us: I will remind you your claim that based on the connections you have in Iraq you were arguing that Iran may actually support an independent Kurdistan. I will let everybody who really has connections in Iraq to evaluate the credibility of the information you provided then about your contacts in Iraq

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...79#post5056079

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...43#post5056243

c) A person with three higher education degrees must be able to grasp quickly the relevant elements of an issue. The lawsuit targets one of the top Ivy League universities where competition for admission is fierce. It is not about admission criteria to a community college or whateer you attended after high school which was not an Ivy League school.

Also, I do not read simple claims. I read evidence which support the claim including evidence from court documents

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...=.dc8432e766d9

Harvardís handbook for alumni interviewers says: "Tips come into play only at a high level of merit; the Committee never gives enough of a tip to admit an average candidate at the expense of a first-rate one."

Among the tips the handbook lists are creative ability, athletic talent and "Harvard and Radcliffe parentage." That means a plus for children of alumni of Harvard's undergraduate college (not graduate schools) or all-female Radcliffe College, which merged with Harvard. Data show the admission rate for domestic "legacy" applicants is 34 percent, compared to 6 percent for non-legacy applicants. Children of Harvardís faculty and staff also get in at higher rates.

Also, a comparison of Obama to Bush is irrelevant to my argument. My point was not that Obama is smarter than Bush. My point is that a "mediocre student (and we KNOW from the university transcripts that Bush was a low performer when he got his BA degree) was accepted in a post graduate program to get an MBA from one of the best universities in the world. This does not happen with the children of the "common" folks.
          Last edited by pamak; 23 Oct 18, 16:40.
          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

All the time. I know a subpar academic performer who was admitted to Villanova for no other reason than her dad attended back in the day. I've seen the same for recent enrollees at Harvard, Cornell, Georgetown, Drexel. Legacy admission may not be as common as they once were, but they're still common enough.
            Villanova? Did she need help with a 48% acceptance rate? Was she mentally disabled? Drexel has a 75% acceptance rate. Georgetown? My wife could have got a full scholarship for a Ph.D. from that school and turned it down. Harvard and Cornell are names only. A friend of mine had two kids that got full scholarships to Yale; he knew no one, it has more to do with your past performance than who you know.

My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
              <snip the ignorance>
              First off you know nothing about Iraq or the Kurds because you have never been there, that has already been proven. Secondly, you brought up GWB and said he wasn't a good student, my point is that Obama was a worse student and I still haven't seen his transcript. Again you have failed logic as usual.

Try reading before responding!
              My worst jump story:
              No lie.

~
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

First off you know nothing about Iraq or the Kurds because you have never been there, that has already been proven. Secondly, you brought up GWB and said he wasn't a good student, my point is that Obama was a worse student and I still haven't seen his transcript. Again you have failed logic as usual.

And your point is irrelevant to my argument which is weird for somebody who claims that has three higher education degrees.. Your response also shows why I caution posters here to take your words regarding the personal details you "reveal" in different threads with a HUGE grain of salt. You tried to claim "expertise" again in a thread talking about Iran and Kurdistan using your personal connections there to make the claim that Iran may actually support an independent Kurdistan. Such posts, you like it or not, will he used by me to question the credibility of the claims you make about your personal life whenever you try to convince us that you "know things" better than the rest of us who do not have contacts in Iraq and do not have three higher education degrees. I am pretty sure that the people who are professionals here and DO have contacts in Iraq can evaluate privately your credibility and decide for themselves if they should trust the words that come out of your mouth... When people who claim expertise say things in this forum which challenge common knowledge,. they will be held accountable.
                My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Also, a comparison of Obama to Bush is irrelevant to my argument. My point was not that Obama is smarter than Bush. My point is that a "mediocre student (and we KNOW from the university transcripts that Bush was a low performer when he got his BA degree) was accepted in a post graduate program to get an MBA from one of the best universities in the world. This does not happen with the children of the "common" folks.
                  While I agree the comparison is largely irrelevant, I think Bush is the smarter of the two. Obama's college transcript was never released, but there is every indication from his "career" after college that he was not particularly apt or skilled at anything other than oration. His one community organizer project he managed to get started collapsed into ruin. He demonstrated no skill as a lawyer or as a lecturer. His peers at the University of Chicago say, as an academic, he was disinterested, poorly prepared, and that his classes were a waste of student time. Students tended to agree with that assessment.
                  As a President he showed no particular aptitude for the job and accomplished next to nothing. Bush may have been a mediocre student. Obama was a mediocre adult.

On the whole, Obama's biography reads like his Nobel Prize:

Like it don't, Bush managed to qualify to fly the F-102 one of the most difficult planes in the USAF inventory at the time to fly due to the cockpit workload. He was reasonably successful as a businessman. Smarter is more than just grades.

Comment

<snip> the worthless bandwidth
                    Funny, again you are the one off topic, you have a habit of doing this when your claims are refuted by those that are worldly and more knowledgeable than you. Go ahead and keep posting garbage no one here takes you seriously.
                    My worst jump story:
                    No lie.

~
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

By the way, here is Bush mocking himself for being a "C" student

Comment

By the way, here is Bush mocking himself for being a "C" student

Nice edit troll.
                        My worst jump story:
                        No lie.

~
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Funny, again you are the one off topic, you have a habit of doing this when your claims are refuted by those that are worldly and more knowledgeable than you. Go ahead and keep posting garbage no one here takes you seriously.

If people like you try to refute what I say by presenting arguments and evidence to support what they believe, I will oppose their arguments with my counterarguments and my sources. But when people like you try to avoid this "arduous" process, and try to refute my arguments on the cheap by claiming personal "expertise," then I will hold them accountable. So, when experts have made past comments which contradict common knowledge (this is why I mentioned your claims in the Iran-Kurdistan thread), they provide legitimate reasons to take their claims abut their "expertise" with a grain of salt.

And the audience here should have the right to be aware of who among the internet "experts" has a record of posts which justifies caution regarding his claimed "expertise." In internet, I consider a poster as an expert based on the record of his posts and not simply based on his claim that he is an expert. Making arguments against somebody's claimed "expertise" is veryyyy much on topic when the person tried to use his personal "expertise" to support his position in the first place.
                          Last edited by pamak; 23 Oct 18, 18:03.

Comment

If people like you try to refute what I say by presenting arguments and evidence to support what they believe, I will oppose their arguments with my counterarguments and my sources. But when people like you try to avoid this "arduous" process, and try to refute my arguments on the cheap by claiming personal "expertise," then I will hold them accountable. So, when experts have made past comments which contradict common knowledge (this is why I mentioned your claims in the Iran-Kurdistan thread), they provide legitimate reasons to take their claims abut their "expertise" with a grain of salt.

And the audience here should have the right to be aware of who among the internet "experts" has a record of posts which justifies caution regarding his claimed "expertise." In internet, I consider a poster as an expert based on the record of his posts and not simply based on his claim that he is an expert. Making arguments against somebody's claimed "expertise" is veryyyy much on topic when the person tried to use his personal "expertise" to support his position in the first place.
                            So you consider yourself an expert?
                            My worst jump story:
                            No lie.

~
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Nice edit troll.

Here is the unedited version, troll

Comment

So you consider yourself an expert?

I never told people here to accept what I say about the Ivy League legacies simply because I have a higher education degree. In this thread, I provided specific evidence related to the process of admission at Harvard. which came from court documents or from Harvard's handbook regarding admissions which again was taken from courts documents.

Even when I talk about issues related to my field, I do not support my position by claiming that I am an "expert," in aviation maintenance. I just use my expertise to find the relevant sources to support my position. An example was in the thread when we were talking about the issue of metal fatigue (https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...t-1-dead/page4).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X