No announcement yet.

It's Time to End Affirmative Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was passed over for a job by a Black Female. These are valuable as a double minority to Feds. It happens so I got on with the rest of my life. Years later I got my best job, Card Dealer. If I had got that Electrician's job, I would not have spent ten years having fun.

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I was never effect by affirmative action accept by having many female bosses who by and large were in no way inferior to their male counterparts. My experience was that affirmative action did enough harm to the recipients to question if it was so carelessly implemented that most people in charge were indifferent to it's success. In any case it's time has passed and we need to move on.
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        I was passed over for a job by a Black Female. These are valuable as a double minority to Feds. It happens so I got on with the rest of my life. Years later I got my best job, Card Dealer. If I had got that Electrician's job, I would not have spent ten years having fun.

Pruitt
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

People providing personal accounts aren't in a position to be objective. Everyone always feels that they're the best for the job or promotion they didn't receive and when rationalizing why they were passed over it's always someone else's fault. Not saying these accounts aren't true, but they have to be taken with a grain of salt. There's no way to validate their opinion as to why they were passed for a person of color.

For those who are wrongfully being passed over, one has to wonder how many qualified blacks wouldn't be given a chance due to their skin. Would it be more or less? After all that's why AA was enacted.

AA definitely isn't perfect which is why America's issue with racism should be resolved so that we no longer need it.
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
            I was never effect by affirmative action accept by having many female bosses who by and large were in no way inferior to their male counterparts. My experience was that affirmative action did enough harm to the recipients to question if it was so carelessly implemented that most people in charge were indifferent to it's success. In any case it's time has passed and we need to move on.
            That's their own prejudice showing and part of what I'm speaking to above. "A minority is ahead of me, must be because of AA". If that's the mentality people have then to me it says that AA is still needed. Too many people still failing to grasp that a minority could be legitimately ahead of them.
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
            - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
              My firm would engage in the same fiction.
              A minority female was counted as 2 minorities.

We ended up hiring quite a few Asian females who had to deal with the prejudice that they were smarter and harder working than anyone else.
              Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Where I worked, my supervisor was the epitome of affirmative action. She was dumb as a box of rocks. She would put a hand written sign on her office door when she didn't want us to bother her "Do not distrub." He grammar was atrocious which led to no end of ridicule. More hilariously, she was the supervisor of the education department. She also ran the affirmative action program.

She regularly made me fill out these charts, which I had to design too, that listed people employed by position / job code, gender, and ethnicity. She repeatedly told me that these were not part of a quota system... All I could think was, if they aren't why keep score?

I think the funniest incident had to be the time I was on two weeks vacation. I came back to find out that while on vacation she had threatened to write me up for being a "racist / White supremacist." Seems a co-worker had found an Hawaiian state flag in a storage room and put it on my desk, for god only knows what reason. She and a female co-worker saw this and she (my supervisor) went nuts saying I had a "Confederate flag" on my desk.

Eventually someone convinced her that the flag was the Hawaiian state flag and she calmed down. I wasn't too happy about the whole thing, considering I wasn't even there at the time. When I voiced that I might start some official action over it, she called me in her office and told me "I am a good supervisor, so don't start anything." I told her something to the effect that if I did she'd be the first to know.

Another was she regularly told me and another guy in the department that she had say over our military orders for active duty (I was Reserve, he was National Guard). She tried twice to get me disciplined for going on orders. Her supervisor gave her a thorough smackdown for that (related to me by him). I think the best was getting orders to go to San Diego for two weeks on Friday. I called her on Monday and told her I wouldn't be in for two weeks and was faxing over a copy of the orders. That was one of her smackdowns.
                Between us, we eventually got it were she figured out she had no say.

Long story short, the lady was a blithering idiot. We eventually worked things out where I was off at the other end of the building and didn't have to deal with her much. That seemed to work best for both of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Leave it alone. It now benefits white males who are officially now a minority.

Fair is fair, after all.
                  This is an absolute truth in the construction business in N.Y. However the general building contractors and subcontractors that own and run the businesses are all white. The minority of the workers in these companies are whit males age 18-25 who come for a paycheck only. They live at home with their parents rent free and finance a new car to tool around in style. The 500 dollars a week they make, give or take, is enough for them to have a gf and fun on the weekends. Learning and being promoted base on knowledge of the trade does not matter to them. The majority of the more skilled workers are all of Spanish origin from Central or South America.
                  Theo mir ist die munition ausgegangen ich werde diesen ramman auf wiedersehen uns in walhalla

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post

Massena is an idiot, of course--attacking me because I dared to give an example that clashed with his fanaticism. The job I had I was there for nearly 10 years. The person they put in the position was a black female. A friend of mine, I really liked her, but even she herself admitted that she didn't know why I wasn't given the promotion, since I had the experience and work record. I ended up having to do a lot of her work anyway until the company collapsed in on itself a couple of years later.
                    Man up and quit crying about it. You need to get over yourself. In short, who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                      Poor baby. Maybe you didn't deserve a promotion-did you ever consider that?
                      I tested as the top 1% for a skilled trades job in GM in 1976. I was denied the job because I was the wrong sex and skin color. The person doing the interview admitted that much as the reason. So, I highly doubt that a lack of qualification was the reason.

Finally, during the Obama years, it was "White males over 55 need not apply." for any job. Any wonder why applications for welfare and disability exploded during those years among that discriminated group?
                      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

"Do not disturb." He grammar was atrocious which led to no end of ridicule.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Massena is an idiot

Personal attack.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                            Massena is an idiot

Personal attack.
                            Observation of reality...
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Observation of reality...
                              It is. But, he attacked me, so I retaliated. His idiocy was on display with his accusations against me and his completely uninformed conjecture about the situation. Not surprising, really, coming from him. But I'm done with it at that point, and am moving on. If HPJ gets his panties in a bunch over it, then so much the better.

The fact is, I lost a promotion to someone else because of Affirmative Action. That cannot be denied. It was years ago, so I'm no longer holding grudges, just posting an example of the problem.
                              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                                Fix the issue that makes affirmative action necessary first, then there would be no need for it.
                                Affirmative action has become the issue that needs fixing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X