X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by pamak View Post
    Here we do not [talk] about a plausible positive change but about averting using politics to produce a plausible disaster. At least, this was my impression when you used the example of someone encouraging a person to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge!
    Please forgive me for editing your post, but it seemed reasonable that "take" was really meant to be "talk." Now it makes more sense.

Some years back I linked Andrew Cuomo's first inaugural address, wherein he admitted that government had come to be viewed as a joke, and that there was genuine reason for that view. The more you rely on government as an institution, and government personnel, to do, the more you risk demagogues using those new power for their own ends. That risk cannot be avoided -- except by restricting governments' reach, governments' powers. Yet the progressive tradition confirms the Founding Fathers' fears, that the political process -- and the people employed therein -- will use their persuasive skill to pander to the mob's basest instincts, and expand governments' powers based on that popular appeal. If the political process didn't offer so much of interest to a demagogue like Donald Trump, then a demagogue like Donal Trump will be compelled to seek other avenues for expression of his demagoguery, and likely he'll incur nothing but frustration, since no endeavor can so bend a society to its will as politics.

Mussolini's, Stalin's, Hitler's -- even Trump's -- they're statism's Frankenstein's Monsters. You have to take the good with the bad, you know.

Of course, you could just let your common sense rule your sentiments and admit that when it comes to government, the bad has always outweighed the good. Any good that government produced was just dumb luck. So was it in Cleon's time, so is it today.

You remember Cleon, don't you?

Leave a comment:

• pamak
    replied

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    This was the comment I was addressing.

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
    Nope. Soros wasn't born with a silver spoon like Donald or the Koch's. The Koch's control the republican party and they spend 100x more than George Soros.

It is obvious from the rebuttal I offered it is dead, flat, wrong. You've jumped in trying to deflect with a strawman argument to a point I wasn't making or defending.

I understood what you addressed! It is just that you did not understand my comment.

If you had actually read the whole article instead of reading the title and the parts that you like, you would not have posted it

In your attempt to refute an obvious hyperbole that Kohn spends 100x more than Soros, you brought a link which actually told us that Kohn spends more than Soros...

Feel free to consider this a victory....
    And try again in a future thread to bring the boogeyman of Soros into the conversation. This thread which YOU helped create will hunt you....

p.s. and your statistics about the unions have nothing to do with my comment that it does not make sense to compare the contributions of a SINGLE rich individual to those of hundreds of thousands of union members from 18 different unions. Plus, If you actually read the article, you will notice that Kohn as an individual donates as much to his causes as a whole union.

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by ljadw View Post
    This year alone Soros donated $ 11,8 million to the Democrats .
    Nazi money.

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    Originally posted by Massena View Post
    For all of you who claim that Soros funds various nefarious 'projects' and other conspiracy theories, perhaps you should read this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/factc...cid=spartandhp
    MSN? Brainwashed by the Marines and now MSN, good track record there.

Leave a comment:

• ljadw
    replied
    This year alone Soros donated $ 11,8 million to the Democrats .

Leave a comment:

• ljadw
    replied
    Maybe you need to take 5th grade math again, or is it all the zeros that has you confused? Where does any of that equal "100x" what Soros spends...? Hum, hum?

Maybe you need to take 5th grade English again, or is it that hyperbole as a rhetorical device has you confused? The article which YOU chose to cite still shows that Kohn contributes more , even if you include the 527 organizations. And no, it is completely unfounded to assume that Soros actually hides the actual level of his contributions to the 527s while Kohn is honest about the actual amounts he donates to 527s.
    Why is it unfounded ? Every one knows what Soros is and for what he stays ;a man who funds Antifa and the Fergusson riots can not be trusted to speak the truth .

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by JustAGuy View Post
    Poor Inarticulate fellow.

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    What kind of Nazi Collaborator will the Far-Left cover for?

A billionaire that bank-rolls their craziest schemes, of course.

Leave a comment:

• JustAGuy
    replied
    Poor Inarticulate fellow.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JustAGuy
    replied
    Unfortunately, you are a victim of the Dunning-Kruger Effect, stuck on the far left side of the graph. Therefore, you cannot know that your are wrong. But as long as you are having fun playing with your memes, have at it kiddo.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JustAGuy
    replied

[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

It is obvious from the rebuttal I offered it is dead, flat, wrong. You've jumped in trying to deflect with a strawman argument to a point I wasn't making or defending.

I'll bet you have lots of fun looking for these memes and cartoons. I suppose that is the upside to your condition. You sure use the "strawman" defense a lot. I think it is a coping mechanism you use when you can't think of anything else.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Maybe you need to take 5th grade English again, or is it that hyperbole as a rhetorical device has you confused? The article which YOU chose to cite still shows that Kohn contributes more , even if you include the 527 organizations. And no, it is completely unfounded to assume that Soros actually hides the actual level of his contributions to the 527s while Kohn is honest about the actual amounts he donates to 527s.

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
    Nope. Soros wasn't born with a silver spoon like Donald or the Koch's. The Koch's control the republican party and they spend 100x more than George Soros.

Leave a comment:

• pamak
    replied
    Maybe you need to take 5th grade math again, or is it all the zeros that has you confused? Where does any of that equal "100x" what Soros spends...? Hum, hum?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X