Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retired astronaut apologises for quoting Churchill after criticism from snowflakes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Who was in charge of the local grain supplies? The wealthy Indians were able to buy the grain on the open market. They knew the poor Indians would starve. The Raj only got involved after the Famine hit. These were the same people that triggered a Famine to fund a tiger hunt. The worst factor was the lack of Trans-Indian Transport. The Planners never figured on a cure if a Hurricane hit the crops during a war.

    Pruitt
    The main reason for the famine was a bad harvest,it was not possible to provide sufficient food for 60 million people, the result was that 2/3 million died, mainly because of malaria . A year later, the harvest was normal again and there was no famine .
    The same thing happened in Ireland, in Ukraine, in Ethiopia .

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

      When the Left is saying something, doing something, or being anything other than inert.
      It's a lot simpler than that.

      If their lips are moving.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

        It's a lot simpler than that.

        If their lips are moving.
        Fine if you want to ignore demographics. It isn't a question of political or economic theory it's a question of propaganda. Racism is the line the far right crosses in which most people agree they can be entirely shut out of the political process but there is no equivalent bright line for the left. The current meme war is effective against individual leftists insanity but has had very little effect on the average person's empathy.
        We hunt the hunters

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

          Fine if you want to ignore demographics. It isn't a question of political or economic theory it's a question of propaganda. Racism is the line the far right crosses in which most people agree they can be entirely shut out of the political process but there is no equivalent bright line for the left. The current meme war is effective against individual leftists insanity but has had very little effect on the average person's empathy.
          That was a long standing joke. Guess you missed it.

          Not my monkeys - not my circus.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Surrey View Post
            https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal_famine_of_1943

            There is a lengthy piece on wiki about the famine. It was caused by a multitude of causes and vastly exacerbated by the war.

            Churchill did not cause the famine in India. That is just an invention of communist propaganda.
            Winston Churchill befriended Stalin and was said to remorse upon hearing of Stalins death. The most vehement critiques of Churchill can never logically be Communists due to the WW2 alliance, but are indeed those supporters of Subhas Chandra Bose. Bose was a Indian whom supported the Third Reich and maintains along with European Axis leaders a level of popularity worldwide.

            After WW2 one can note a Communist Scare.

            During WW2, when freedom worldwide was at stake, the greatest time in human history..saw GOP and Democrats stand for freedom in the USA such as in Wilkie and FDR. Both urging support for the USSR. Had FDR lived on and Churchill regained power post 1945 the world would have been better off and the so called cold war could have been avoided.
            Last edited by Stonewall_Jack; 10 Oct 18, 17:59.
            Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM

            Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

            George S Patton

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post

              Winston Churchill befriended Stalin and was said to remorse upon hearing of Stalins death. The most vehement critiques of Churchill can never logically be Communists due to the WW2 alliance, but are indeed those supporters of Subhas Chandra Bose. Bose was a Indian whom supported the Third Reich and maintains along with European Axis leaders a level of popularity worldwide.

              After WW2 one can note a Communist Scare.

              During WW2, when freedom worldwide was at stake, the greatest time in human history..saw GOP and Democrats stand for freedom in the USA such as in Wilkie and FDR. Both urging support for the USSR. Had FDR lived on and Churchill regained power post 1945 the world would have been better off and the so called cold war could have been avoided.
              You seem to be in ignorance of Churchill's March 1946 address at Fulton, Missouri where he said( inter alia ):

              [.....]
              From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic an "iron curtain" has descended across the continent. Behind that line lie all the capitals of the ancient states of Central and Eastern Europe. Warsaw, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade, Bucharest and Sofia; all these famous cities and the populations around them lie in what I must call the Soviet sphere, and all are subject, in one form or another, not only to Soviet influence but to a very high and in some cases increasing measure of control from Moscow.
              [.....]
              https://www.westminster-mo.edu/explo...ainSpeech.html

              I can't see anything in the language used by Churchill espousing support for the controlling methodology of the Soviets.

              Can you?

              He wasn't exactly being complimentary of their methods.

              Possibly, you are unaware of this episode of modern history, from whence the now familiar term "Iron Curtain" originated.
              Last edited by At ease; 10 Oct 18, 19:09.
              "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
              "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

              "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
              — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

              Comment


              • #22
                WSC would have been more antagonistic to the post war Soviet government than the Labour government of Atlee.

                In all probability, mistakes made by Atlee's government such as allowing the sale of noteworthy Rolls Royce Nene jet engines as subsequently used in the Mig15 fighter would not have happened under WSC's premiership.
                Last edited by At ease; 11 Oct 18, 02:56.
                "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

                "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by At ease View Post
                  You seem to be in ignorance of Churchill's March 1946 address at Fulton, Missouri where he said( inter alia ):
                  How about British intervention in the Russian Civil War?

                  https://history.sfsu.edu/sites/defau...Hecomovich.pdf

                  I'd produce the quote from page 1 myself, but since it's a pdf, the copy-and-paste function f*cks it all up.

                  Anyways, say what you will about Stalin, but one thing both his admirers and his detractors agree upon was that the General Secretary had an exceptional memory: he forgot nothing, until old age and cardiovascular disease started to cause him real injury as his 70th birthday approached. Stalin never trusted Churchill, and that mistrust started when Winnie was Minister of War, and a vociferous advocate for British intervention in Russia's civil war.
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

                    How about British intervention in the Russian Civil War?

                    https://history.sfsu.edu/sites/defau...Hecomovich.pdf

                    I'd produce the quote from page 1 myself, but since it's a pdf, the copy-and-paste function f*cks it all up.

                    Anyways, say what you will about Stalin, but one thing both his admirers and his detractors agree upon was that the General Secretary had an exceptional memory: he forgot nothing, until old age and cardiovascular disease started to cause him real injury as his 70th birthday approached. Stalin never trusted Churchill, and that mistrust started when Winnie was Minister of War, and a vociferous advocate for British intervention in Russia's civil war.
                    Of course, in the interim between Gt. Britain's involvement in the RCW and the speech at Fulton, we have Churchill's well known remark on the opening of Operation Barbarossa stating that:

                    If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favourable reference to the devil in the House of Commons.
                    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/w...urchill_111298


                    https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/w...urchill_111298
                    "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                    "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

                    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                    — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

                      How about British intervention in the Russian Civil War?

                      https://history.sfsu.edu/sites/defau...Hecomovich.pdf

                      I'd produce the quote from page 1 myself, but since it's a pdf, the copy-and-paste function f*cks it all up.

                      Anyways, say what you will about Stalin, but one thing both his admirers and his detractors agree upon was that the General Secretary had an exceptional memory: he forgot nothing, until old age and cardiovascular disease started to cause him real injury as his 70th birthday approached. Stalin never trusted Churchill, and that mistrust started when Winnie was Minister of War, and a vociferous advocate for British intervention in Russia's civil war.
                      Britains very limited intervention in the RCW at least ensured the independence of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, for a couple of decades.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Gooner View Post

                        Britains very limited intervention in the RCW at least ensured the independence of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, for a couple of decades.
                        All the more reason for Stalin to distrust Churchill . . . .
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

                          All the more reason for Stalin to distrust Churchill . . . .

                          Do you think Stalin trusted many people?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Actually he probably trusted all the people who were frightened of him - which was most of them.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Gooner View Post


                              Do you think Stalin trusted many people?
                              I was being sarcastic, hence the " ."



                              Regarding Stalin's capacity for trust: I don't think that Stalin was constitutionally capable of trusting anyone save Stalin.
                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

                                All the more reason for Stalin to distrust Churchill . . . .
                                And today’s left to try (like the above astronaut) and vilify him...
                                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X