Blue Wave Courtesy of Taylor Swift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Wave Courtesy of Taylor Swift

Pop star Taylor Swift endorsed two Democrats this week in a surprise Instagram post that upset many Trump supporters who assumed she was a secret Republican. And Swift’s endorsements are having a real impact. According to Vote.org, the number of voter registrations has gone through the roof.

We are up to 65,000 registrations in a single 24-hour period since T. Swift’s post,” Kamari Guthrie, director of communications for Vote.org, told Buzzfeed.

How big of a spike is that? Precisely 190,178 voters registered on the site in all of September, or roughly 6,000 per day.
    “I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent,” Swift wrote in her Instagram endorsement. “I cannot vote for someone who will not be willing to fight for dignity for ALL Americans, no matter their skin color, gender or who they love.”

Swift went on to endorse two Tennessee Democrats, Phil Bredesen for the U.S. Senate and Jim Cooper for the U.S. House. Swift explained that Tennessee’s Marsha Blackburn “appalls and terrifies” her because Blackburn voted against the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act and is incredibly hostile to the gay community.
    https://gizmodo.com/taylor-swift-cau...r-e-1829618381

The impact one person can have is pretty interesting.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Actually, it's pretty frightening. The fact that people would allow themselves to be so easily influenced by pop-politics is IMO, another sign of a fractured and increasingly ill-informed society.

Also, it should be noted that the article you linked carefully omitted the fact that Bredsen supported Justice Kavanaugh...so the contradiction presented by Swift is indeed interesting.
    You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

It's not surprising though. All politics or society is now is sheep herding.
      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
      - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
        It's not surprising though. All politics or society is now is sheep herding.
        Then this is not a remedy. It's merely preparing the electorate for the next demagogue that wants to throw his hat into the ring. I fail to see that as an improvement over the current situation.

Unless, of course, you believe that the bulk of our governments' accomplishments over the last two centuries were predicated not on informed voters endeavoring to make intelligent choices at the polls, but rather pure dumb luck. If that's the case, then recent developments, including this one, prove beyond reasonable doubt that the United States has sh t run out of luck.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I think you'd have to go back to the 1800's to point to a period where the American public was actually informed and truly cared about American values. But, that's just my opinion. This obviously isn't a remedy for anything, but whether we want to admit it or not, her endorsement is going to play a factor.
          - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I think you'd have to go back to the 1800's to point to a period where the American public was actually informed and truly cared about American values. But, that's just my opinion. This obviously isn't a remedy for anything, but whether we want to admit it or not, her endorsement is going to play a factor.
            According to John Adams, Americans of the early 19th century were greedy and shallow. I'm guessing that the Founding Fathers and their contemporaries put their pants -- or knickers, as the case may have been -- on one leg at a time, too.

Will Taylor Swift's endorsement make a difference? Maybe, maybe not. It probably won't matter any more or any less than the countless celebrities that will endorse liberal or conservative candidates this silly season. If any celebrity endorsement makes that much difference, then we're in even bigger trouble than we initially thought.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Then this is not a remedy. It's merely preparing the electorate for the next demagogue that wants to throw his hat into the ring. I fail to see that as an improvement over the current situation.

Unless, of course, you believe that the bulk of our governments' accomplishments over the last two centuries were predicated not on informed voters endeavoring to make intelligent choices at the polls, but rather pure dumb luck. If that's the case, then recent developments, including this one, prove beyond reasonable doubt that the United States has sh t run out of luck.
              The role that luck plays in your position in the hierarchy should never be taken lightly. You could do as Obama did and say that unearned privilege is corrupt and that you are obligated to let other less lucky nations be artificially elevated. Realistically that is a form of intellectual narcissism and historical naivety. The underlying theme is a vacuous belief in equality of outcome born of an educational system run amuck. Where the standards for scholarships have been diluted in favor of narcissistic virtue signalling.

Previous generations were steeped in the belief that the lucky had obligations to help the unlucky and the unlucky had an obligation to change their behavior to take advantage of luck. Only a fool rejects the necessity of hierarchies because they are in part predicated on luck. In the grand scheme of things every step in evolution is a matter of luck. The very existence of the universe is a product of randomness. The folly of the lucky is the belief that they are the sole authors of their success. Pride goes before a fall.

Failure to take advantage of good luck is as much a sin as as the tendency of the unlucky to blame the lucky for their misfortune. Appreciation for the good fortune of being born in a great civilization, what was once called a blessing, is no longer in vogue. In it's place has grown a culture of guilt and victimhood. Neither victim blaming nor exoneration is healthy.

The question is what must be done to increase the probability of continuing good fortune. The foundation of conservatism is that adhering to what has previously worked is wise. The basis of liberalism is that you must adapt to change. In the absence of the virtue of humility we become dogmatic instead of pragmatic. A pragmatist will never assume perfection is the goal or even possible but will be equally reluctant to arbitrarily dismiss conventional wisdom.

Our constitutional structure has brought us the lucky degree of wealth and freedom we enjoy. The burden of proof for the need to change lies with those proposing change. Mere correlation is insufficient grounds for assuming that the foundational structure is causation of inequitable justice which must never be confused with inequality. A republican form of government is in theory to a practical degree immune from unintelligent choices at the polls. It was never the intention that the tragedy of Greek democracy be repeated.
              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Is it only democrats registering to vote because of her?
                "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

Is it only democrats registering to vote because of her?
                  Good question. Today is also the deadline to register to vote ahead of the Nov. 6 general election.

More than half of the applications in Shelby County are invalid.
                  I'll bet this is a widespread problem, not limited to this county.

Shelby County voter registration applications surge, but many deemed invalid

The Shelby County Election Commission has seen a surge in voter registration applications leading up to the Tuesday deadline, but a significant share of those applications have been invalid.

“Typically, I would expect to get 10,000 forms in a mid-year election cycle,” Shelby County Election Commission Administrator of Elections Linda Phillips said. “We have received nearly 30,000 since registration re-opened after the August election.”

A large share of the influx of voter registration applications has been duplicates of already-registered voters, incomplete applications, and applications from felons who can't vote or are otherwise unable to be processed.

As of the end of last week, about 55 percent of the voter registration applications submitted have been invalid, according to the commission

https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...id/1534796002/
                  "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                    Good question. Today is also the deadline to register to vote ahead of the Nov. 6 general election.

More than half of the applications in Shelby County are invalid.
                    I'll bet this is a widespread problem, not limited to this county.
                    All that could have been avoided if the county registrar of voters was a Democrat...

Comment

All of which is good and well, I don't know which way the midterms will go in the House, but there is the same cast of characters that are counting the chickens before they are hatched, I have seen this movie before and been hearing about the Blue Wave for the last 6 months, but I have yet to see any signs of it.
                      For the life of me, I fail to understand why everyday people let entertainers influence their political decisions, they live in a different world that you and I do.
                      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                        [CENTER]Good question. Today is also the deadline to register to vote ahead of the Nov. 6 general election.
                        I'm thinking that if there are people only now registering to vote because of what Taylor Swift said, chances are 50/50 that they are both democrat and republican. Doesn't matter which party, they are obviously uneducated voters. Claiming this is a "blue wave" is another example of either an uneducated voter or a troll.

I think the surge is due to what you posted regarding the deadline and probably the Kavanaugh circus. Both reasons still point to 50/50 affiliation, not a blue or red wave.
                        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

While Taylor Swidt is attractive and is reputed to like British men, one doesn't choose whom to vote for based on a celebrity endorsement.

Is there any any evidence of the effectiveness of celebrity support in past elections?
                          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                            While Taylor Swidt is attractive and is reputed to like British men, one doesn't choose whom to vote for based on a celebrity endorsement.

Is there any any evidence of the effectiveness of celebrity support in past elections?
                            As to your first observation... the attractiveness of a particular person is, I think, in the eye of the beholder. There are those who tend to think that Ms. Swift is rather skinny and bony with a whiny, annoying pitch to her voice. Secondly, it's sad to say that there are those people who, because of blind adoration, stupidity or both, will vote for whomever, exactly as a celebrity endorses, only because that celebrity endorses that politician/platform. They would also most likely follow said celebrity off a cliff.
                            Last edited by Jose50; 10 Oct 18, 10:54.
                            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

https://gizmodo.com/taylor-swift-cau...r-e-1829618381

That's hilarious, considering that Democrats are the party of Anti-America, smear tactics based on false accusations, keeping the minorities dependent upon government handouts and racism itself. Guess she already forgot about Obama, but then she's an entertainer and not expected to be very smart, like her followers.

And finally, two endorsements are not even remotely a "blue wave".
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X