X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troops are hungry

Advocates Are Building a Plan to Take on Military Hunger

https://www.military.com/spousebuzz/...ry-hunger.html

Hunger is a real problem for military families. According to a recent report, about 15 percent of military and veteran family respondents face "food insecurity," the policy language used to describe people who worry about how they are going to feed their families or afford food.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

They might need to be trained on how to shop. I rarely see young EMs in the Commissary. Not to say it's always the best deal on pricing but the essentials are usually below off post pricing.
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I'd say this is more due to who the military is taking than anything else. Enlisted who are E1 to 4 really don't make the money to be in a married situation. Long ago the military didn't take new enlisted who were married for the most part. You had to be single. Now it's even worse. You have a considerable number of single parents, particularly single mothers, in the military.
      These people have to spend for day care and other expenses on a single income.

On the whole, they have put themselves in a bad position monetarily. That has ZERO to do with the military, its pay, or anything else the military did. It has everything to do with poor personal choices. So, I don't see this problem as the military's problem any more than it would be the problem of say, Walmart or Boeing for that matter where you have an entry level worker who did the same and can't make ends meet on their entry level salary.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        I'd say this is more due to who the military is taking than anything else. Enlisted who are E1 to 4 really don't make the money to be in a married situation. Long ago the military didn't take new enlisted who were married for the most part. You had to be single. Now it's even worse. You have a considerable number of single parents, particularly single mothers, in the military.
        These people have to spend for day care and other expenses on a single income.

On the whole, they have put themselves in a bad position monetarily. That has ZERO to do with the military, its pay, or anything else the military did. It has everything to do with poor personal choices. So, I don't see this problem as the military's problem any more than it would be the problem of say, Walmart or Boeing for that matter where you have an entry level worker who did the same and can't make ends meet on their entry level salary.
        I agree.

E-1s through E-4s should be focused upon their job, not the burden of supporting a family. The military is a good option for a level-headed single person who wants to spend an enlistment seeing the world, getting college benefits, saving some money, and perhaps shooting complete strangers for poorly defined reasons..

It is not a good option for parents.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

When my father was in the military, enlisted needed the permission of their commanding officers to marry. The minimum rank to receive permission was Sgt. E5. When my father did marry, my mother made more than he did.

When I entered the Army, I got $76 per month, before deductions. The military is not a place for married personnel in the lower grades, nor was it ever intended to be. By allowing it to become that, the military has created a whole range of problems it never had before.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

From the OP article link, Military Family Advocacy Network (MFAN) is a main player on this issue. Their website: https://militaryfamilyadvisorynetwork.org/

The embedded link in article to "recent report" takes you to this article about the "report", and does have an embedded link to THE report;

5 Interesting Findings from a 2018 Military Family Report
            https://www.military.com/spousebuzz/...ly-report.html

Comment

The purpose of lower grade troops is to fight and die, period. Getting married under those circumstances isn't the brightest move to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                The purpose of lower grade troops is to fight and die, period. Getting married under those circumstances isn't the brightest move to begin with.
                What a wonderful recruitment slogan.
                Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I thought (per Patton or someone) it was '...to make the other side's guys die.' ???

Also, as in any organization, one usually enters at a lower level to learn the ropes and trade in order to advance thru the system.

Comment

When my father was in the military, enlisted needed the permission of their commanding officers to marry. The minimum rank to receive permission was Sgt. E5. When my father did marry, my mother made more than he did.
                    So that was US Army policy too, not just USMC.

When I entered the Army, I got $76 per month, before deductions. The military is not a place for married personnel in the lower grades, nor was it ever intended to be. By allowing it to become that, the military has created a whole range of problems it never had before.
                    Not that I disagree with you -- 'cause I don't -- but let's just play Devil's Advocate for a minute here. Given as this society's . . . . family mores have changed tremendously over the last forty or fifty years (whether for good or ill is a subject for a thread all its own) shouldn't the military recruit from the general population, not just from that minority who come from and are endeavoring to establish traditional nuclear families? I mean, a fair number of under-18s are already parents. "Co-habitating" is outpacing marriage, especially among the lower socioeconomic demographics that militaries throughout history have traditionally relied upon for the greater mass of their recruits. The Army's gotta take 'em where they find 'em. If E-5's and below were once again prohibited to marry, then wouldn't that logically depress the pool from which the armed services can recruit?

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...status-widens/
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Geez!!! no wonder the US Army gave out food stamps ( not seen in Europe from appx 1948)...and I thought the RCAF pay was low with no deductions
                      LAC $178 pm.......

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

I agree.

E-1s through E-4s should be focused upon their job, not the burden of supporting a family. The military is a good option for a level-headed single person who wants to spend an enlistment seeing the world, getting college benefits, saving some money, and perhaps shooting complete strangers for poorly defined reasons..

Lol, I laughed at the shooting strangers part...

My grandfather did what you're suggesting. He grew up in a blue collar town, his dad died when he was 17, so he joined the navy. He always talked about seeing the world, and he always liked hearing from his navy buds. When he left he opened up his own business.
                        "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by Bow View Post

Geez!!! no wonder the US Army gave out food stamps ( not seen in Europe from appx 1948)...and I thought the RCAF pay was low with no deductions
                          LAC $178 pm.......
                          May 65 $42.42, that's with some reductions.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

I thought (per Patton or someone) it was '...to make the other side's guys die.' ???

Also, as in any organization, one usually enters at a lower level to learn the ropes and trade in order to advance thru the system.
                            Army troops by their very nature are expendable, just as Marines are. The entire concept of lower grade families is impractical for many reasons and jacks up the cost of military services enormously.

By the time a troop made Sergeant, he was older, more mature, a junior leader and considering the military as a career, which was the proper time to consider marriage before all of the welfare state mentality kicked in. I have seen privates at Fort Carson with four children in tow. Seriously? And then they do not want to deploy to the Sandbox...small wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

I agree.

Actually, the correct phrase which came about during Viet Nam was "Join the army, travel to exotic places, meet new people and kill them."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X