Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know that Ted Kennedy created a sandwich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ Then perhaps you can explain how Ted Kennedy kept his Senate seat for four decades after he committed an act which would get any of us mere mortals convicted of manslaughter. How many Democrats in the House voted to impeach Pres Clinton when he perjured himself by denying his tryst with an intern, and how many Democrats in the Senate voted to convict? Don't you think that Al Franken, when compared to a Kennedy and the first Democratic President to be elected to two terms in the White House since FDR, was viewed as rather a lightweight, and consequently expendable?

Don't take my word for it. Read Caro -- whose politics far more resemble yours than they do mine. He's far more eloquent, and far better researched, than I'll ever be. Please, refrain from responding until your ignorance is finally replaced by knowledge. I frankly haven't the time to debate the patently obvious with the deliberately obtuse.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
      ^ Then perhaps you can explain how Ted Kennedy kept his Senate seat for four decades after he committed an act which would get any of us mere mortals convicted of manslaughter. How many Democrats in the House voted to impeach Pres Clinton when he perjured himself by denying his tryst with an intern, and how many Democrats in the Senate voted to convict? Don't you think that Al Franken, when compared to a Kennedy and the first Democratic President to be elected to two terms in the White House since FDR, was viewed as rather a lightweight, and consequently expendable?

Don't take my word for it. Read Caro -- whose politics far more resemble yours than they do mine. He's far more eloquent, and far better researched, than I'll ever be. Please, refrain from responding until your ignorance is finally replaced by knowledge. I frankly haven't the time to debate the patently obvious with the deliberately obtuse.

I suspect that you do not have time to debate the "patently obvious", because even you realize that you have a weak position to debate. This is why you try to distance yourself from your initial speculation that FRanken's POLITICAL actions regarding a judge may have triggered internal rivalries within the Democrats in the Senate even though you failed to produce a single piece of information to suggest the existence of such rivalry among FRanken and his fellow Democratic senators.

Now, your latest post shifts to a different type of argument by claiming that Franken was forced to resign after the sexual allegations because he did not have the weight of a Kennedy who could survive even more serious allegations than a sexual assault. This is a different argument and a tacit admission that your first claim did not survive scrutiny! In addition, the new claim is still speculation! You do not know if TODAY a powerful "heavyweight" senator like Kennedy could survive a sexual allegation. In fact, your speculation is at odds with what we see today in every aspect of our lives where powerful people who had survived for years in their field amid sexual allegations come down one after another. And this is happening in politics, journalism, newsrooms and hollywood studios alike.

In addition, the available evidence we have in Franken's case is that it was the women in his party who led the efforts to force him to resign. How many women were in the Roman Senate or in the previous US Senates? So, spare me with the history lessons when you try to apply them in a way that is too broad and meaningless. History is certainly valuable, but one needs to also ground his arguments based on current information, and one needs to see both the similarities and differences between our societies today and in the past. And one such difference is that in modern politics women simply have more power.

Finally, you make another unfounded allegation that Franken was "lightweight." Just because he was not a Kennedy or a Clinton, it does not mean that he was a lightweight and "expendable for the Democrats. From a strictly partisan point of view, Franken was a popular senator who even though won by a hair margin in the first election he managed to gain popularity within his state during his first term as a senator and got an easy victory during the second election which guaranteed a Democratic seat in the Senate up until 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...innesota,_2014

A person who is popular and can bring a senate seat to the democrats is not a "lightweight." And no party leader would like to see a seat that is controlled by his party become contested earlier than when it should be, not to mention that the replacement will certainly be untested and lightweight compared to Franken.
      Last edited by pamak; 27 Sep 18, 17:42.

Comment

D you realize that Ted Kennedy has been dead for some time now? Do you realize that his brother Jack was boffing Monroe, along with his younger brother Bobby? Do you realize none of this has any relevance in today's society and culture, where Billy Boob felt perfectly comfortable getting his carrot waxed in the Oral Office? And his poll ratings went UP?
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          D you realize that Ted Kennedy has been dead for some time now? Do you realize that his brother Jack was boffing Monroe, along with his younger brother Bobby? Do you realize none of this has any relevance in today's society and culture, where Billy Boob felt perfectly comfortable getting his carrot waxed in the Oral Office? And his poll ratings went UP?
          Teddy's shenanigans can only be irrelevant if Teddy didn't sit in the Senate nearly four decades after he killed that girl. There's a fair number of Senators who sat alongside Teddy for many years, laughed at his jokes, and kissed his a$$ -- but they never said a damned thing about Teddy walking away from an accident scene and leaving Mary Jo Kopechne to drown. Now all of a sudden they've found their backbones, booting Al Franken out of the Senate for mauling a sleeping woman through kevlar, and they're grilling Brett Kavanaugh over his drunken school boy escapades. I'm not condoning what Franken and Kavanaugh did -- but those women, injured as they were, were able to walk away; Kopechne never had that chance. Today's crusaders for women's rights were clearly yesterday's sycophants. Take Dianne Feinstein: she came into the Senate in 1993 -- immediately following Clarence Thomas and Tailhook. Nevertheless, she hobnobbed with Chivas-chugging Ted Kennedy for sixteen years. Now -- all of a sudden -- she's interested in women's rights.

Are you buying any of this?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Teddy's shenanigans can only be irrelevant if Teddy didn't sit in the Senate nearly four decades after he killed that girl. There's a fair number of Senators who sat alongside Teddy for many years, laughed at his jokes, and kissed his a$$ -- but they never said a damned thing about Teddy walking away from an accident scene and leaving Mary Jo Kopechne to drown. Now all of a sudden they've found their backbones, booting Al Franken out of the Senate for mauling a sleeping woman through kevlar, and they're grilling Brett Kavanaugh over his drunken school boy escapades. I'm not condoning what Franken and Kavanaugh did -- but those women, injured as they were, were able to walk away; Kopechne never had that chance. Today's crusaders for women's rights were clearly yesterday's sycophants. Take Dianne Feinstein: she came into the Senate in 1993 -- immediately following Clarence Thomas and Tailhook. Nevertheless, she hobnobbed with Chivas-chugging Ted Kennedy for sixteen years. Now -- all of a sudden -- she's interested in women's rights.

Are you buying any of this?
            Yes, I am buying the thing that they found the backbone to confront a person from their own party (Al Franken). If your criticism is that they should have done the same about a bigger and "heavyweight" democrat like Kennedy, I have no problem with that! But bypassing the issue that some of the Democrat female senators were not even elected in the Senate when Kennedy was there, and focusing only on the older female senators who "suddenly found their backbone" to oppose one of their own, I still see them as being better than the senators who NEVER found any backbone to oppose ANY person from their political party regardless if it was a heavyweight like Trump or a lightweight like Roy Moore.And as I explained earlier, the difference in attitude does not reflect personal morals that made them find their "backbone." It reflects mostly the expectations of a new type of constituency on the left which is more willing to accept women's stories about sexual allegations. Just browse this forum and see the attitude of leftist and conservative posters regarding the sexual assault allegations.

Comment

^ Maybe there's a statute of limitations on manslaughter I didn't know about . . . .

At least read Master of the Senate...

Comment

He also created the Chappaquidick Coctail, which features the extra tang of salt water along with copious amounts of alcohol. But none of this is relevant to events of today.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

He also created the Chappaquidick Coctail, which features the extra tang of salt water along with copious amounts of alcohol. But none of this is relevant to events of today.
                  What is relevant today is the waitress sandwich story, it took place during the 1980s, when the alleged Kavanaugh attempted sexual assault would have taken place.
                  Where was Feinstein? Sen. Dodd is still alive, where is the #MeToo crowd?
                  Barney Franks is still alive, when will he face the court of public abuse the type of which Kavanaugh has been victimized by?
                  Franks allowed a male prostitution ring to operate out of his Georgetown home. When will Franks be held responsible for human trafficking? How many of those prostitutes were young men, teenagers, who were exploited by the pimp that was Franks lover?
                  These are absolutely fair points.
                  Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                  Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X