Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ocasio-Cortez Mourns Restaurant Driven Out Of Business By Minimum Wage Law She Backs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocasio-Cortez Mourns Restaurant Driven Out Of Business By Minimum Wage Law She Backs

Economic Illiteracy: This week, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez "swung by" to say goodbye to a restaurant where she used to work. What she didn't say is that it is closing because the owners can't afford New York City's soon-to-be $15 minimum wage — the very job-killing policy Ocasio-Cortez and her fellow Democrats want to impose nationwide

Economic Illiteracy: This week, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez "swung by" to say goodbye to a restaurant where she used to work. What she didn't say is that it is closing because the owners can't afford New York City's soon-to-be $15 minimum wage — the very job-killing policy Ocasio-Cortez and her fellow Democrats want to impose nationwide

Co-owner Charles Milite told the New York Post that the main reason was "the minimum wage is going up and we have a huge number of employees."
    https://www.investors.com/politics/e...mum-wage-jobs/
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

San Francisco will combat restaurants closing due to minimum wage increase by banning free lunch:

San Francisco Learns That There's No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    https://www.investors.com/politics/e...-minimum-wage/

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

Rumor has it that California is about to ban all eating outside of the home. This will greatly reduce costs.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I wouldn't trust that source if I were you, especially since they sourced the New York Post (tabloid magazine). I'm sure there's more to the story and I doubt it had to do with the MW increase.

The middle class are the job creators, not corporations. Raising the federal minimum wage is a democratic policy. Republicans are against an increase due to profit reasons.

Raising the minimum wage has the following benefits:

-Economy boost
        -Lower crime
        -Lower drug use
        -Lower unemployment

It's common sense that when the middle and lower classes have more money in their pockets, they're gonna spend it. Hence creating more jobs to meet demand.

Comment

I feel the minimum wage is used to increase the "overall wage gap", which obviously won't work since it is caused by another set of problems.
          Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Rumor has it that California is about to ban all eating outside of the home. This will greatly reduce costs.
            Well, they have banned:

Shark fin soup and possession of shark fins
            Foie Grau
            Plastic straws
            Plastic utensils
            Travel to Oklahoma, Texas, Kentucky, and Alabama for their workers
            Animal testing of products
            Plastic bags
            Smoking on sidewalks

By the way, all new residential construction (single homes and commercial like apartments) in California are now required to have solar panels installed for electrical production

Has prohibited pet stores from selling animals that aren't rescues. I wonder how that works with things like fish...

Possession of hamsters, gerbils, and ferrets now requires a license and permit

And, they're considering banning cars with internal combustion engines...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Well, they have banned:

Foie Grau
              Plastic straws
              Plastic utensils
              Plastic bags
              Smoking on sidewalks

By the way, all new residential construction (single homes and commercial like apartments) in California are now required to have solar panels installed for electrical production

Has prohibited pet stores from selling animals that aren't rescues. I wonder how that works with things like fish...

You forgot Colorado.

Prayers.

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post

You forgot Colorado.
                If only I could...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Well, they have banned:

Foie Grau
                  Plastic straws
                  Plastic utensils
                  Plastic bags
                  Smoking on sidewalks

Apple products contain plastic, but I doubt they’ll ban those.

I don’t get what they’re replacing plastic bags and utensils with. Cloth bags require turning more land to cultivation, and metal utensils require mining more ore. In other words, we’ would be exploiting the land like some barbarian colonists. Steel production produces hazardous materials, so maybe they want us to use chopsticks, but those come from trees, plus that would be cultural appropriation. And I want to know what cloth is being used in for the new shopping bags. If it’s linen or cotton I oppose it on the moral grounds that it’s unnecessary cruelty towards plants.

Can i I oppose these California policies, or does that make me a racist FOX news fan?
                  "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post
                    I wouldn't trust that source if I were you, especially since they sourced the New York Post (tabloid magazine). I'm sure there's more to the story and I doubt it had to do with the MW increase.

The middle class are the job creators, not corporations. Raising the federal minimum wage is a democratic policy. Republicans are against an increase due to profit reasons.

Raising the minimum wage has the following benefits:

-Economy boost
                    -Lower crime
                    -Lower drug use
                    -Lower unemployment

It's common sense that when the middle and lower classes have more money in their pockets, they're gonna spend it. Hence creating more jobs to meet demand.
                    Not true at all. The money has to come from somewhere - it cannot magically appear - so lower wage jobs will disappear, increasing unemployment and harming the economy.

More money would actually mean more to spend on drugs and alcohol for those so inclined, and crime is more often committed against those who have things rather than those who don't. Robbing the poor isn't really feasible.

General rule of economics: If it originates in California, it's unworkable.

Comment

You forgot Colorado.
                      I didn't, but we don't operate the way the Rainbow Coalition tries to in California. We even eat a lot of red meat n order to keep the vegans from having to look at it.

Comment

You forgot Colorado.
                        He also forgot any sort of a link or source, as usual.

Foie Grau
                        Plastic straws

Who needs straws? Once upon a time they were glass or stainless.

Plastic utensils

What sort of restaurants do you eat at?

Plastic bags

What h
                        append to paper bags made out of recyclable paper or those made out of recycled plastics?

Smoking on sidewalks

US military is close behind with no smoking within 15 yards of a building. How many people smoke? What do smokers do with the butts.

636017914370995653-ThinkstockPhotos-75494279.jpg?width=1080&quality=50.jpg
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

He also forgot any sort of a link or source, as usual.
                          When did you start caring about sources? As I recall, you never met a source you found acceptable in the first place, unless, of course, you posted it.

BTW - you're way off topic, which is the negative effect of the new minimum wage laws, not smoking or "butt removal".

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Not true at all. The money has to come from somewhere - it cannot magically appear - so lower wage jobs will disappear, increasing unemployment and harming the economy.

More money would actually mean more to spend on drugs and alcohol for those so inclined, and crime is more often committed against those who have things rather than those who don't. Robbing the poor isn't really feasible.

General rule of economics: If it originates in California, it's unworkable.
                            That's not true. The middle and lower classes are the job creators, not corporations.
                            More money would mean less anxiety, stress, depression. All things that can lead to drug abuse.
                            Crime rate drop due to people having more pocket money and not resorting to desperate measures.
                            etc etc.

The extra money on hand goes back into business with more people looking to use a business service. Whereas they couldn't afford before.

Your last bold statement is a myth, CA's economy is booming and the 6th largest in the world. It's usually republican run states that are poor due to their economic policies.
                            Last edited by inevtiab1e; Yesterday, 16:24.

Comment

Restaurants close all the time.

New restaurants open all the time

If somebody in SF with its veryyyy high cost of living and its high percentage of clients with 6 figure salary jobs, cannot afford to pay $15 /hour his workers, then he should close his business and let more capable business owners (in restaurant or any other business kind) take over.

That said, small business in general, including restaurants face more challenges in modern economy thanks to company chains. More powerful corporations from Amazon to McDonalds make it more difficult for small owners to survive in any field.

By the way, unemployment in California fell to record lows despite the rise of minimum wage

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...d-12510752.php

Thanks to stronger-than-expected job growth, California’s unemployment rate dropped to 4.3 percent in December, a record low since 1976 when the state started tracking data consistently.

and for SF it is even less than the national average

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.ca_sanfrancisco_msa.htm

That is unemployment of 2.8 % in July 2018...

Last edited by pamak; Yesterday, 16:33.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X