Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tularemia Now Linked To Domestic Cats

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tularemia Now Linked To Domestic Cats

    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/0...o-pet-cat.html
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

  • #2
    Our cats are indoor cats at all times. So, while I sympathize with the man in the article, I don't think it's something to lose our minds over.

    Now, ticks, on the other hand...they're right up there with spiders for me. I would use more fire against them if it wouldn't get me arrested.
    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

    Comment


    • #3
      Grossly over blown. This occurs very rarely, and is linked to ticks-- primarily deer ticks-- one of which must have attached itself to the cat. So, you'd need a cat that is outdoors most of the time, live in an area susceptible to deer ticks, and a tick would have to infect the cat-- not an animal that that tick usually selects as a host. That adds up to it's very rare.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Grossly over blown. This occurs very rarely, and is linked to ticks-- primarily deer ticks-- one of which must have attached itself to the cat. So, you'd need a cat that is outdoors most of the time, live in an area susceptible to deer ticks, and a tick would have to infect the cat-- not an animal that that tick usually selects as a host. That adds up to it's very rare.
        I see your point. Ticks attaching themselves to cats must be not nearly as common as crabs attaching themselves to sailors.

        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

        Comment


        • #5
          Appears to be a problem mainly occurring in North America and even there in a limited number of states/provinces (or so my moggy assures me). As I know that she has never been outside of Shropshire and Worcestershire I think I'll rest easy.
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

            I see your point. Ticks attaching themselves to cats must be not nearly as common as crabs attaching themselves to sailors.

            Ah, it's the Marines of the ship that's the problem. They like playing in the dirt. Since it's them or sheep...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

              Ah, it's the Marines of the ship that's the problem. They like playing in the dirt. Since it's them or sheep...
              Dude! Put that tongue away. I can only imagine what you dragged it through during your last liberty across the Sh*t River . . . .
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                Grossly over blown. This occurs very rarely, and is linked to ticks-- primarily deer ticks-- one of which must have attached itself to the cat. So, you'd need a cat that is outdoors most of the time, live in an area susceptible to deer ticks, and a tick would have to infect the cat-- not an animal that that tick usually selects as a host. That adds up to it's very rare.
                Deer carry Lyme disease. Tularemia is carried by rabbits, and previously was not known to cross over to cats.

                It's not a big thing unless you are aware of the growing number of diseases that can now cross species and ultimately infect humans. Cats, for example, also carry feline HIV virus.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                Comment

                Latest Topics

                Collapse

                Working...
                X