Dallas cop shoots man in own apartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post

No, no one with PTSD should be hired as a LEO. Should be barred immediately. I don't know the rules with firefighters and EMT's.
    The topic is police officers, and tons are hired with PTSD. Very dangerous combination. Which is a factor in many shootings.
    You missed the point. There re many high stress jobs that produce PTSD. McCain was a POW - shouldn't he have been banned from any public office? How about Bush Senior? He fought in WWII.

The problem is';t cops - it's the insane society of America in which cops are expected to be targets without defending themselves.

Tell you what...why don't you become a policeman? Clearly you're a person who doesn't experience any stress.

Hope to see you in uniform soon.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You missed the point. There re many high stress jobs that produce PTSD. McCain was a POW - shouldn't he have been banned from any public office? How about Bush Senior? He fought in WWII.

The problem is';t cops - it's the insane society of America in which cops are expected to be targets without defending themselves.

Tell you what...why don't you become a policeman? Clearly you're a person who doesn't experience any stress.

Hope to see you in uniform soon.
      Give me a break! The same society expects construction workers to do their job at a pace and under conditions that produce more occupational deaths than the ones we see for police officers. In fact the LEOs come way after workers like fishermen, lumberjacks, drivers, farmers, and engineers in air aviation regarding occupational deaths.
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

In America and third world country's.

We should call it for what it is. A disgrace.
        Or, a warning...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

If they were banned, every cop who ever fired a shot in anger would also be fired for the same reason. And how many EMT's and firefighters also have PTSD?
          Recall ADA. PTSD is a recognized, and the victims of it cannot, by law, be discriminated against.

And you are very right. THere wouldn't be a homicide, sex crimes, or child abuse investigator left if they fired people for delayed stress.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Percy Coburg View Post
            What I don't like and seem to happen more often than not, the police almost always shoot first, then ask questions later, if they're still alive.
            Because there's a wall in Washington with 13,000 names on it, many of whom hesitated. No one dies for a job.

Anyone in Texas who is confronted by a home intruder has the right to use deadly force. If the Grand Jury accepts that at the time she pulled the trigger, she believed she was in her own apartment, she will be no-billed and the matter will close.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Anyone in Texas who is confronted by a home intruder has the right to use deadly force. If the Grand Jury accepts that at the time she pulled the trigger, she believed she was in her own apartment, she will be no-billed and the matter will close.
              I could agree with that if it WAS her apartment. In this case, I don't think that defense should be available.
              Just an aside---I find the fact that she lived in downtown Dallas unusual. I used to hang around with a few old school Detroit cops 30 years ago. They knew, better than anyone, what a shiithole a big city was. They were great cops on duty, but they wanted to be as far as possible away from the grittiness, once they left for the day. Back then, Detroit had a residency rule. It was an open secret that all the families lived in the 'burbs and 3-4 cops would rent a house in the city and crash there and use it for their mailing address.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                I could agree with that if it WAS her apartment. In this case, I don't think that defense should be available.
                In the USA, the use of force, for abyone, is judged based upon the perception of the user at the time the force was employed.

It would be an uphill fight IMO to convince a panel that she actually believed it was her apartment, but that's her problem. I still have trouble with that.

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                Just an aside---I find the fact that she lived in downtown Dallas unusual. I used to hang around with a few old school Detroit cops 30 years ago. They knew, better than anyone, what a shiithole a big city was. They were great cops on duty, but they wanted to be as far as possible away from the grittiness, once they left for the day. Back then, Detroit had a residency rule. It was an open secret that all the families lived in the 'burbs and 3-4 cops would rent a house in the city and crash there and use it for their mailing address.
                I have never lived in a jurisdiction where I worked. I still have an unlisted number, and get all mail to my PO Box, which is also the address on my driver's license.

I can't believe she walked home in uniform, but different strokes, I guess. To me, that's another quandary: from that habit, she doesn't have the usual LE paranoia. Yet her story puts her reacting like a highly aggressive manner. The two seem incomparable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

In the USA, the use of force, for abyone, is judged based upon the perception of the user at the time the force was employed.

It would be an uphill fight IMO to convince a panel that she actually believed it was her apartment, but that's her problem. I still have trouble with that.

In the USA, the use of force, for anyone, is not judged based upon simply the user's perception at the time the force was employed. The perception of the user must be also REASONABLE, and this is why she is in deep trouble (assuming that they do not discover something else that can change the case).
                  My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

My wife has found a photo on Facebook which purports to show the deceased and the officer in a group of four in a social setting. I can't tell, based on the posted photos of the two, whether it is them or not.

If they knew each other, this case moves in much more logical direction, although that's just rumor at this point.

A lot will depend upon her legal representation, what her initial statement said, and whether Garrity has been followed precisely.

Comment

There was video on the news earlier that a neighbor took before the police arrived showing her after the shooting pacing on the balcony outside the apartment using a cell phone. That doesn't set completely right either. If she thought this guy was a criminal why didn't she examine him, cuff him, and make sure the scene was safe?

Comment

This is so stupid, why are we speculating and arguing, we weren't there, this seems to be the case in every one of these incidents, we are worse than the Media, just guessing, why can't we wait until the people that know how to sort it out, sort it out?
                        Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          There was video on the news earlier that a neighbor took before the police arrived showing her after the shooting pacing on the balcony outside the apartment using a cell phone. That doesn't set completely right either. If she thought this guy was a criminal why didn't she examine him, cuff him, and make sure the scene was safe?
                          That depends. You don't generally cuff a wounded subject unless he is still combative, although some do. Officers react differently after a shooting, and few agencies actually set out a policy besides 'secure the scene and render assistance'. Odds are she was talking to the PD, and they might have told her not to touch anything. IIRC DPD has a pretty hands-off first aid policy.

The EMTs might have already been working on him, or officers might have already been on the scene (shocking, I know, that the media might not fully represent the facts ).

Pacing back and forth is completely in character; after a shooting most officers either sit still or are trying to walk off adrenaline.

The key to all this is where the shooting took place, the details of her story, and if any connection can be established between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                            This is so stupid, why are we speculating and arguing, we weren't there, this seems to be the case in every one of these incidents, we are worse than the Media, just guessing, why can't we wait until the people that know how to sort it out, sort it out?
                            Because we're a bunch of argumentative old farts?

I have to say, this is the most civil thread I've seen in a long time. But that might just be because my Ignore List is working...

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                              Another thing that should not be typical is that roughly 40 percent of homicides are committed by a demographic group that makes up less than 5 percent of the population. Liberals of course don't want to talk about that. Nothing we do to change police training or recruitment will have much effect on homicide unless communities take responsibility for their violent young men.

Unless you think parenting is irrelevant it would seem single mothers not the police are the serious problem.
                              Your numbers are completely wrong, but yes, I personally would like to discuss that statistic along with another. Do you know what percent of the black population commits homicides? This is the number white supremacist never bring up because the number is too marginal to warrant any generalizations or fears.

In my opinion, blacks should stop wasting their time protesting and just leave the country. To expect anything to change at this point is idiotic.
                              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                              - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

This is the CDC's (cdc.gov) data:

And, it is mostly Black on Black.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X