No announcement yet.

Dallas cop shoots man in own apartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 years is chump time. Is that what a human life is worth? People get more time for robbery.
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
      10 years is chump time. Is that what a human life is worth? People get more time for robbery.
      With no priors, no, people don't get that much time for robbery. Considering zero prior criminal history, 10 years is actually not all that bad on the sliding scale of a structured sentencing system. Love it or Hate it, but that's something that if you want changed, you need to talk to your representatives about it.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

With no priors, no, people don't get that much time for robbery. Considering zero prior criminal history, 10 years is actually not all that bad on the sliding scale of a structured sentencing system. Love it or Hate it, but that's something that if you want changed, you need to talk to your representatives about it.
        I don't live in Texas, so my lobbying would not carry much weight . Just this week here in Idaho a young man was convicted of assault, rape, intimidation of a witness, and stalking. he was given 10 years probation. That was his first conviction, but it is unlikely it was the first time he had done something like this.
        Light sentencing for violent crime is an insult. If the victim was your son would ten years sound fair?
        Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

I don't live in Texas, so my lobbying would not carry much weight . Just this week here in Idaho a young man was convicted of assault, rape, intimidation of a witness, and stalking. he was given 10 years probation. That was his first conviction, but it is unlikely it was the first time he had done something like this.
          Light sentencing for violent crime is an insult. If the victim was your son would ten years sound fair?
          Never said it was or sounded fair. Welcome to the world of criminal justice reform. We even had an act in place for a time here where based upon your race, you could have your sentence automatically lowered....it was literally called the racial justice act.

As to your specific example. Was he actually convicted of all the above offenses? Or did he plead guilty to one or two of those offenses or to a lesser offense(s)? A lot of times people are charged with crimes and plead guilty to lesser crimes as part of a plea arrangement. Depending on the crime(s) he plead guilty to, there's a significant likelihood that probation might have even been the only sentence he could receive, being a first time offender.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Never said it was or sounded fair. Welcome to the world of criminal justice reform. We even had an act in place for a time here where based upon your race, you could have your sentence automatically lowered....it was literally called the racial justice act.

As to your specific example. Was he actually convicted of all the above offenses? Or did he plead guilty to one or two of those offenses or to a lesser offense(s)? A lot of times people are charged with crimes and plead guilty to lesser crimes as part of a plea arrangement. Depending on the crime(s) he plead guilty to, there's a significant likelihood that probation might have even been the only sentence he could receive, being a first time offender.
            Or he could be pronounced not guilty by reason of "affluenza", like that punk rich kid was. The American justice system has become a farce.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

10 years is chump time. Is that what a human life is worth? People get more time for robbery.
              "Life" in Colorado actually means 20 years max, and time off of that for "good behavior". And, as one multiple killer told me once, "After you kill the first one, all of the others are free," since "life" sentences most often run concurrently rather than sequentially.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Have they worked out how she got in? I remember that there was a question of whether the door had been left open or whether the victim had let her in?
                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

"Life" in Colorado actually means 20 years max, and time off of that for "good behavior". And, as one multiple killer told me once, "After you kill the first one, all of the others are free," since "life" sentences most often run concurrently rather than sequentially.
                  Exactly, 10 years means 4, 20 means 8, life means 15.

Comment

Oh I know, It's a screwy time, here is the story I mentioned,

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...235637857.html

Comment

From the link that you posted in your next post, it is clear that you do not have the facts right:

Byrd was indicted last October on charges of rape and felony battery with intent to commit rape. His first trial, in April, resulted in a hung jury. At his retrial, a jury found him not guilty of rape but guilty on the felony battery charge.

Read more here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...#storylink=cpy

So, this probation is about a conviction for felony battery but not for rape
                      Last edited by pamak; 04 Oct 19, 00:46.
                      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

• 10 years feels about right. It was essentially extreme negligence rather than a preplanned murder.
                        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

• Key witness in the case, Joshua Brown, was ambushed and shot dead

Ten days after he testified in the murder trial of a former Dallas police officer, key witness Joshua Brown was gunned down at his apartment complex, attorney Lee Merritt said.

Brown lived across the hall from Botham Jean at Dallas' South Side Flats apartments last year when officer Amber Guyger walked into Jean's apartment, mistaking it for her own, and killed Jean.

Brown's testimony during Guyger's murder trial was key because he was able to describe the officer's actions immediately after she killed their neighbor, a 26-year-old accountant.
                          What happened

Witnesses flagged down Dallas police officers around 10:30 p.m. local time Friday and directed them to Brown, who was lying in the parking lot of his apartment complex with multiple gunshot wounds, police said.

Brown was taken Parkland Memorial Hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Witnesses told police they heard several gunshots and saw a silver, four-dour sedan speed away from the parking lot.

But there are no detailed descriptions of the suspect.

Brown "was ambushed at his apartment complex as he got out of his car and (was) shot at close range," Merritt wrote in a Facebook post Saturday night. Merritt represents the Jean family.

The attorney said Brown's mother asked him to "do whatever it takes to get to the bottom" of her son's homicide.

"She suspects foul play, and it is difficult to rule it out," Merritt wrote. "He had no known enemies. He worked for a living. He was not in the streets. We need answers. Immediately."
                          Merritt said Brown lived in constant fear of gun violence, and that's why he was emotional on the witness stand during the trial.

"He said it could have been him," Merritt said.

Brown's death "underscores the reality of the black experience in America," Merritt said.

"Brown lived in constant fear that he could be the next victim of gun violence, either state sanctioned or otherwise."
                          https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/05/us/bo...led/index.html
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

• Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                            Key witness in the case, Joshua Brown, was ambushed and shot dead

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/05/us/bo...led/index.html
                            Considering that he was a key witness, I think that if he was linked to gang related activities, this information would have somehow come out to harm his credibility as a witness.

I hope this is just regular crime and not a case of revenge by some lunatic who held him responsible for the cop's conviction.
                            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

• Originally posted by pamak View Post

Considering that he was a key witness, I think that if he was linked to gang related activities, this information would have somehow come out to harm his credibility as a witness.

I hope this is just regular crime and not a case of revenge by some lunatic who held him responsible for the cop's conviction.
                              He managed airbnb rental properties and was not in a gang. Only other realistic possibility would be some sort of road rage incident where he was followed home. Other than that, all signs point to this being a retaliation. We all know how a lot of people feel about cops being held accountable...
                              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                              - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

• Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

He managed airbnb rental properties and was not in a gang. Only other realistic possibility would be some sort of road rage incident where he was followed home. Other than that, all signs point to this being a retaliation. We all know how a lot of people feel about cops being held accountable...
                                I understand that the scenario of revenge is plausible, but I do not want to speculate too much at this point.
                                On the other hand there are some issues which are not mere speculation.
                                The handling of this case casted serious doubts about the integrity of the law enforcement agencies there fro the TX Rangers to the Dallas PD. And I assume that it will be these agencies that will get involved with this murder too.

The people need to realize that there is a serious problem of trust and for valid reasons between many citizens (especially within the black community) and the LE agencies. The argument that there are always a few apples (like the one who decided and approved the publishing of finding a few grams of marihuana in the black victim's apartment) is not convincing.

As long as people do not see a genuine attempt within the LE agencies to confront such "bad apples," few things are going to change. In my long history in different forums, I have seen how posters who claim that they are cops remain silent when some of their peers post some really controversial points online. If one cannot confront one of his peer in a forum setting, he does not signal any optimism that that he can do it in real life.

People complain about the lack of new recruits wiling to serve in the police force. Well, I am not surprised with the situation. People know what happens when the bad apples are not removed from the basket. Add to the above the culture in the US that the police force is not about protecting citizens but about simply to enforce laws and get the paycheck (and ROE reflect such culture), and one can see how such culture will discourage many people from joining the police force.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X