Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J McCain's passing & the veneration if not near deification of war heroes since VN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

You already know the answer: statistically speaking, if you get enough of anybody into a room, some share of them will prove "top blokes," and some share will be a$$holes. There's nothing provocative about it. "It is what it is."

Just keep this in mind: no Vietnam veteran has been elected, or will ever be elected, President of the United States.
    In the eyes of liberals/progressives, all Vietnam veterans are "baby-killers":
    see the lukewarm support from Democrats that greeted John Kerry's and Al Gore's runs, and the outright hostility that Bob Kerry and Wesley Clark encountered during their respective Democratic primaries. On the other hand, conservatives resent Vietnam veterans because they're a living reminder of the US' only lost war. For all the talking-up of veterans that Republicans do, they've proved time and again that they'll deride Vietnam veterans in base terms, on ephemeral and usually nonexistent character issues. In short, Vietnam veterans will likely always get the short end of the stick, from both sides.
    Where did you come up with that generalization of BULL SSHIT?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

Where did you come up with that generalization of BULL SSHIT?
      Here's a pair of quotes:

“In Vietnam, our soldiers came back and they were reviled as baby killers, in shame and humiliation. It isn’t happening now, but I will tell you, there has never been an [American] army as violent and murderous as our army has been in Iraq.” —Seymour Hersh . . . .

“For someone who was responsible for, again, nobody knows, but a certain amount of death of innocent people as John McCain was, the time spent in a North Vietnamese prison where he claims to have been tortured was probably time spent that a Catholic priest, for example, would find completely understandable. It’s called doing penance, John. You don’t bomb and kill people for no reason, even when corporate America or your daddy, who was the supreme commander of Southeast Asian forces, South Pacific forces, orders you to do it. You can’t just take orders, we decided that at Nuremberg. So, if you suffered, I am sorry for your suffering, I truly am, in and of itself, but John-John-John, did you think about the suffering of the people you bombed and strafed? They were civilians, you know.” —Mike Malloy

https://townhall.com/columnists/john...-kyle-n1954002
      Maybe down in West Virginia you didn't get too many lefty types -- I mean real lefty types, that make Barack Obama look like Rudolf Hess -- but New York and New England practically crawl with them. From high school and college, I've heard perhaps eight or ten teachers/professors state plainly that only morons enlist, and that enlistees are de facto just this side of war criminals -- in rooms full of US veterans, in the case of the colleges, attending on GI Bill benefits, mind you. I've seen employment denied veterans for no other reason than they're veterans. I rode with one independent news producer past the US Armed Forces Recruiting Center in Times Square, wherein the producer said to his teenaged son that only chumps enlist -- with two veterans in the car! Can't find it now, but I recall reading a Village Voice piece that blasted Wesley Clark because he was a Vietnam veteran. I've known people personally -- real life New Haven hippies, not just the movie variety -- who stated outright that they wouldn't vote for Al Gore or John Kerry because they were Vietnam veterans.And I can still recall Eleanor Clift on the McLauglin Group dismiss Bob Kerrey during his '92 run for the Democratic presidential nomination as "just another Marine": she couldn't even be bothered getting his branch of the service right. If that isn't contempt then I don't know what is. My own stepfather, whose not even that political, derided the choice to enlist as "pathetic." I'm sorry John, but the air around here is thick with such condescension. How you missed I'm sure I don't know, but clearly you did.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X