A question for Americans, and those living here:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for Americans, and those living here:

A question, but first a comment. We hear nearly daily how Trump is destroying (variously) the economy, people's lives, alliances, national reputation, etc. The question:

How has Trump or his administration, since coming into office, negatively affected you personally? Don't argue about national reputation or our relations with some other nation at an abstract level. Tell us how YOU have been negatively impacted, on a personal level.

Have you suffered because of the economy? Are his policies directly affecting you in a negative way, and if so which ones? That's what I'd like to read about here.

I have benefited in numerous ways.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

So have I. My 401K, and IRA's have nearly doubled in value. My taxes went down. I've noticed many new businesses opening near me. Home construction is up and the value of my house as gone up substantially. There are several companies that bug me pretty regularly to sell for cash now.

All that stuff was tanked and stayed tanked under Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        So have I. My 401K, and IRA's have nearly doubled in value. My taxes went down. I've noticed many new businesses opening near me. Home construction is up and the value of my house as gone up substantially. There are several companies that bug me pretty regularly to sell for cash now.

All that stuff was tanked and stayed tanked under Obama.
        Yep, my net worth saw a big jump and my area is booming.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I have been wondering the same thing. I keep hearing how Trump is destroying everything and everybody and yet I never hear any specifics on the nature of that destruction. At least none that don't involve feelings or a claim that Trump has emboldened bad people to do bad things. (apparently Trump must be the reason all the gang bangers in Chicago are shooting each other and innocents)

Anyway, Trump's policies will result in actual financial harm to me and others in my state. I live in Illinois which is a high tax dem state.
          Due to the tax reform I will be able to deduct less of what Illinois takes from me even if the Feds are taking a little less.

By way of comparison, if my house were in Indiana, my real estate taxes would be 1/3 of what I pay here.
          While Trump's policy will hurt me when it comes to state and local taxes, I feel the blame is more appropriately laid at the feet of the people who have imposed those high taxes, not Trump.
          Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

My greatest enjoyment has been seeing snowflakes melt. Very rewarding!
            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I haven't seen anything generally negative about what Trump has accomplished or what he's trying to accomplish. Lying, whining, liberals aside (which we'll seen soon in this thread, I'm sure), it's been pretty good around here lately.
              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

I see a great deal of new activity in the industrial area near me. My house value has increased. Race relations seem to have improved in my neighborhood. There are fewer unemployed young males wondering about in my neighborhood. My pension fund is slightly healthier. People in general seem happier and more optimistic.

I understand that many of these observations are subjective but at my age I'm a pretty good judge of people.

I didn't vote for Trump because of domestic policy. I was more interested in foreign policy. Trump seems to be the only candidate that understood that major changes were needed as the policies that worked in the twentieth century were not going to work in the twenty first century. I see the positive changes for me at a personal level as a side benefit.

What is interesting to note is that some "liberals" are praying for a recession to stop Trump. I'm not sure what exactly they want stopped other than the destruction of Obama's legacy. It is a special kind of bigotry that says the first black president has to be a success. The fact that Obama was supposed to be black (I don't see him as African American) and thus proof that our culture can evolve past racism is sickening. The only way racism can end is if your skin color is irrelevant. His election was proof that people are so shallow they will vote for someone because of the color of their skin which is a uniquely twisted kind of racism that only the left could embrace.
                We hunt the hunters

Comment

Isn't he increasing your debt? I remember the word 'debt' being thrown around alot when Obama fixed the Bush recession economy. Also the word 'narcissist' was bandied about but for some reason both those words have disappeared......

Curi​​​​ous....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Paddybhoy View Post
                      Isn't he increasing your debt? I remember the word 'debt' being thrown around alot when Obama fixed the Bush recession economy. Also the word 'narcissist' was bandied about but for some reason both those words have disappeared......

Curi​​​​ous....
                      Your right, those are accurate statements. The problem is everything that liberals want requires a strong economy but they have demonized the economic engine for so long that cognitive dissonance has solidified in their brains to the point that a good economy is a bad thing.

First grow the economy then use that growth to attack the deficit.

As to narcissism, Obama's destroyed the democratic party, Trump's just gives the legacy media something to howl about. Does anyone really think that you can become president if you don't have an inflated opinion of yourself?
                      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Paddybhoy View Post

Curi​​​​ous....
                        Obama fixed something? You must be kidding.
                        My worst jump story:
                        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                        No lie.

~
                        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Here's a bit of good news.

Palestinian officials have condemned the US decision to end all funding to the UN's Palestinian refugee agency.

The US has been the largest donor to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (Unrwa) - but now says the organisation is "irredeemably flawed".

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas's spokesman has called the move a "flagrant assault against the Palestinian people".

However, an Israeli official told AFP: "Israel supports the US move".

Unrwa says it currently supports more than five million Palestinians in Gaza, the West Bank, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon, including providing health care, education and social services. What did the US do?

The US has been the largest single donor to Unrwa, providing $368m (284m) in 2016 and funding almost 30% of its operations in the region.

But in January, the administration of President Donald Trump withheld more than half of its planned funding to Unrwa, saying it would keep back $65m unless the body carried out "reforms".

On Friday, the US state department said in a statement that "the US will no longer commit further funding to this irredeemably flawed operation". Why did the US cut funding?

The state department said the US had shouldered a "very disproportionate share of the burden of Unrwa's costs", and that the international community should contribute more.

It has also said it is unhappy that Unrwa has kept expanding the number of people eligible for assistance, and says its business model is "simply unsustainable and has been in crisis mode for many years".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45381173
                          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

On the Palestinians:

The problem is the Palestinians, not Israel.

Comment

The topic seems to have gone off the rails, that may be my fault. It's hard to isolate any subject from related topics but at least we should show how they are related. In my case I simply wanted to say that not having WWIII is high on my list of personal desires.

I don't think comparisons to Obama are necessarily off topic but they are pushing the limit.
                              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X