Student loan fiascoe ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student loan fiascoe ...

The Incredible, Rage-Inducing Inside Story of Americaís Student Debt Machine

Why is the nationís flagship loan forgiveness program failing the people itís supposed to help?

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...tment-fedloan/

You borrowed money to get a degree to get a better paying job; why should I have to help you pay off the debt taken for your personal gain ???

That's the reason we invested in our son's education since he was born. He can go to college and not have any debt when he graduates. You have to look ahead and save if you can.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

That doesn't answer the OP question.

The answer is that Progressives and other Left of Center whack-a-doodles think that you should be altruistic. That is, you should gladly hand over a big chunk of your hard earned money to the government to give it to students with crushing college loan debt that got a degree in like, Women's Studies, or Art History and are now the under-employed graveyard shift assistant manager at a 24 hour WalMart and will be for most of their life.

There. Does that make you feel better?

Comment

Exactly. The people with crushing student loans are people who paid six figures for a degree that has little or no economic utility.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
          why should I have to help you pay off the debt taken for your personal gain ???
          ...especially for useless 'disciplines' like "art history".
          ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
          2) Enjoy playing it
          3) Enjoy sharing it
          4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

I took a second degree in "Health". I was the first to earn one at McNeese. I get out in the real world and find out that only active Coaches got to teach the class. Not everyone needs the loans. We spent one to go to Disneyworld between semesters. Did my ex help pay it off when we split up? Even though she held the family pursestrings, it was in my name!

I am proud I went back to school and earned two degrees.

From what I have read there is no overhead agency that makes sure the people running the program properly credit payments to the program. The people making the payments have to prove they made the payments. If they miss a payment their credit suffers.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Question, WHY does it cost so much in the US compare to other country's? Sports programs!
              "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                That doesn't answer the OP question.

The answer is that Progressives and other Left of Center whack-a-doodles think that you should be altruistic. That is, you should gladly hand over a big chunk of your hard earned money to the government to give it to students with crushing college loan debt that got a degree in like, Women's Studies, or Art History and are now the under-employed graveyard shift assistant manager at a 24 hour WalMart and will be for most of their life.

There. Does that make you feel better?
                I wasn't 'answering' the OP, I was merely expressing an opinion and giving an option. If you don't like it, lump it.
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

The "G" in "government" stands for "giveaway. The taxpayers are not supposed to be paying back the loans - the students themselves are - but there is no enforcement or collection within the program. Bad credit rating? Makes me laugh. Credit is a joke these days and more and more businesses don't care what your credit rating is, they just want to sign you up and get you on the hook.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

If rent, buy on credit or want to buy property, you need a good credit rating.

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I can accept forgiving loans for veterans, military personnel, and their immediate family.

Comment

Student loan fiascos:

- recent high school graduate tells her mother that she wants to teach. State of New York offers her two years free at local community college. She says that she doesn't want to go to community college, 'cause all her friends are going to NYU -- at roughly $25,000 a semester. . . . . .

- During that "#Occupy Wall Street" nonsense, some tart had the cast iron gall to broadcast on the local news radio that she should be forgiven her $160,000 of student debt, being as she studied social work -- at Columbia University . . . .

- the very fact that one can study film, theater arts, social work, psychology, sociology, fine arts, and other crap programs at high-end private universities, and apply for loans to pay for it.

You wonder why there's such a problem with student debt. Perhaps the first question that should be asked is, why are universities offering degrees in fields which offer few if any jobs, and what jobs they do offer pay rather little -- certainly not nearly enough to pay off a degree from a high-end private institution.

Meanwhile, we're starving for engineers, accountants, registered nurses: all fields which pay reasonably well, fields for which there is a definite demand -- yet fields which US-born high school graduates avoid like grim death.

Maybe if we stop viewing higher education like a four year long party and instead started viewing it as work then we wouldn't be up to our armpits in student debt.

Once upon a time graduates from NYC's public high schools had the option of the City University of New York. CUNY offered a top-notch education free of charge to NYC public high school graduates who had at least a B average, and as long as they continued to reside within NYC and maintained a B average, they were entitled to attend CUNY at no cost. At one time CUNY was known as "the poor man's Harvard." that paradigm was known as "closed admission." Liberal/progressive types in the '60s argued that CUNY's standards were too elitist, so CUNY relented and instituted "open admissions."

. . . . CUNY is unique among the nationís large open admissions public university systems in that more than half of its students come from a single school system: the New York City public schools. In the early years of open admissions, CUNY officials were shocked to discover how poorly prepared many of the new students were. They viewed these studentsí poor reading skills as a major indictment of the cityís high schools, and they considered returning the responsibility for remediation to the public schools. Eventually, however, they decided to focus on improving the articulation between BOE and CUNY programs . . . .

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/rwg/...df/history.pdf
                        That's putting it kindly: CUNY graduates went from being among the most desirable to being the least. By the late 1970s a CUNY diploma wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. The most visible joke was Hostos Community College: a junior college which dropped any pretense of requiring English-language proficiency in order to qualify for an associates degree. It got to the point that Hostos graduates weren't only unemployable, but that they couldn't even meet the requirements of CUNY's senior colleges for admission. One of the few good things that Rudolph Giuliani did during his mayoralty was to reestablish CUNY as a worthy institution, whose graduates can clearly qualify for virtually any workplace demand -- and it can all be done for less than $300 a credit: no massive gobs of debt are incurred by CUNY's students. They can earn a valuable degree that can gain them entry into any employer in the country for a mere $225/credit, or $6,730/year, $3,365/semester -- and it's easily the equivalent of anything produced by snob factories like NYU and Columbia.
                        Last edited by slick_miester; 29 Aug 18, 13:21.
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Percy Coburg View Post
                          I can accept forgiving loans for veterans, military personnel, and their immediate family.
                          Active duty military personnel can generally get the military to pay for any classes they take in full. Veterans have GI bill, including most drilling reservists. Beyond that, I don't think they deserve too much, if any, break over anyone else. You have "veterans" who served less than a year. You have ones that finished with less than honorable service (this doesn't change their veteran status, just eligibility for benefits).

I'd say a better way to go is the government (not private loan companies) will only give student loans for a degree that results in something the nation needs: Engineering, science, business, medical, and the like. You want a law degree? Pay for it yourself. Most people who get one can't get employment. Liberal arts like art, music, or ethnic studies? Pay for it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                            If rent, buy on credit or want to buy property, you need a good credit rating.

Pruitt
                            Or you go into the higher risk pool and pay more for it, but you still get it.
                            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                              Question, WHY does it cost so much in the US compare to other country's? Sports programs!
                              Columbia University's sports are a joke, and have been for a century -- yet they're charging their students upwards of $170,000 for a baccalaureate. Columbia, Harvard, Yale, all enjoy massive endowments. Columbia's for example, was based on the land upon which Rockefeller Center stands. 'Bout thirty years ago Columbia sold it for $400 million. As of 2015 Columbia's endowment stood at some $9.5 billion.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=73
                              https://thebestschools.org/features/...sity-research/

Ironically, a very expensive private university that does not boast a large endowment fund -- or any kind of prestigious athletic program -- announced free tuition for all current and future medical students. For once NYU has done something decent. Why can't Columbia and Harvard -- with their endowments of nearly $70 billion -- follow suit? Maybe Columbia's too busy celebrating the 50th anniversary of campus terrorism.

https://thelowdown.alumni.columbia.e...protests_nears
                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X