Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United States-Mexico Trade Agreement

NAFTA is done!

President Trump announced an overhaul to the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), including a new name change to the deal.

During a press conference via speaker phone in the oval office with Mexico’s president, the president said it will be called the United States-Mexico Trade Agreement.

President Trump added, the move will be an “incredible deal” for both countries, especially for the manufacturing and farming industries.

Canada, which is a part of NAFTA, was not part of the announcement. However, the president affirmed negotiations with Canada will begin “very shortly.”

“They used to call it NAFTA, we’re going to call it the United States-Mexico Trade Agreement and we’ll get rid of the name NAFTA, that’s a bad connotation because the United States was hurt very badly by NAFTA for many years, and now it’s a really good deal for both countries,” stated President Trump.

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer also said the deal will be likely signed-off in November and sent to Congress on Friday.

http://www.oann.com/president-trump-...l-with-mexico/
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
    NAFTA is done!

Um with every trade deal that gets dealt out we get shafted lately. I really don't trust any politician and Trump personally to look out for me and mine. Not to say I'm joining the never trumpers, but I'll wait and see before dancing and celebrating.
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post

Um with every trade deal that gets dealt out we get shafted lately. I really don't trust any politician and Trump personally to look out for me and mine. Not to say I'm joining the never trumpers, but I'll wait and see before dancing and celebrating.
      How about some trade deal examples of us getting shafted.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

It doesn't mean much without Canada. That has to be settled also. If not, it could be nothing more than a lame duck.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/polit...eal/index.html
        We are not now that strength which in old days
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
        Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
        To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

One at a time. Canada is next in line.

Washington (AFP) - With a deal with Mexico out of the way, US trade officials are due to resume talks with Canada on Tuesday to try to salvage the North American Free Trade Agreement as a trilateral deal.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau stressed in a phone call with Trump that the aim is to reach a new NAFTA deal.

The leaders "had a constructive conversation" on NAFTA, and "look forward to having their teams engage this week with a view to a successful conclusion of negotiations," Trudeau's office said.

Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland interrupted a trip to Europe to rush back to Washington to begin talks with US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer.

And Mexican President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador called for a three-way trade deal, saying "it's important that Canada also be included."

The outlines of a NAFTA 2.0 are now on paper, including provisions on auto trade, tougher worker protections and a provision to review the deal every six years.

Comment

No doubt Trump told them "It's the wall, or this. Which do you want to pay for?"

Comment

I used to be a Never-Trumper but I'm starting to believe in the man. He's taking a lot of BS from all sides. They are going after his family and close associates, there's no lower than that. I'm surprised he hasn't thrown in the towel and say to hell with the ungrateful.

Comment

How about some trade deal examples of us getting shafted.
                Your gonna have to specify a time frame. Seems to me the last fifty years its been unfavorable to the US worker. We pay more for labor because the EPA and other legitimate concerns. China has to erect nets to keep their 'employees' from jumping off the top of their factories. China has the infamous lake of pollution. http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015...place-on-earth
                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Let's import some more stuff from China like toxic drywall

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=114182073

Or radioactive rebar from Mexico...

https://www.orau.org/PTP/collection/...nts/juarez.htm

Comment

Your gonna have to specify a time frame. Seems to me the last fifty years its been unfavorable to the US worker. We pay more for labor because the EPA and other legitimate concerns. China has to erect nets to keep their 'employees' from jumping off the top of their factories. China has the infamous lake of pollution. http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015...place-on-earth
                    I thought you were talking about Trump's trade deals since he became POTUS.

Then I agree with you, yes we used to always get shafted in trade deals...but not any longer!

Comment

Personal attack/name-calling deleted.

You have
                      already been warned AND sanctioned for this type of behavior.

ACG Staff
                      Last edited by Salinator; 28 Aug 18, 00:19.
                      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                      - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        Let's import some more stuff from China like toxic drywall

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=114182073

Or radioactive rebar from Mexico...

https://www.orau.org/PTP/collection/...nts/juarez.htm
                        We have plenty of American companies like Monsanto killing us, no need to import other peoples junk.
                        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                        - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

I thought you were talking about Trump's trade deals since he became POTUS.

Then I agree with you, yes we used to always get shafted in trade deals...but not any longer!
                          I'm one of the people who distrust the local government which leads to not trusting feds either.

I developed a program to engage the homeless using recycled lumber to produce shaker furniture. It was quite cool. Almost free labor and the materials were basically free.

Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

It's a good trade deal (with Mexico). I watched a review of it on NBC, and even they couldn't find anything wrong with it. We got some significant advantages, Mexico kept some valuable points, it looks very good.
                            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I'm one of the people who distrust the local government which leads to not trusting feds either.

I developed a program to engage the homeless using recycled lumber to produce shaker furniture. It was quite cool. Almost free labor and the materials were basically free.

Actually, what you did was exploit peoples' substance abuse problems, encourage theft, and violate heath and safety codes by building household goods without approved materials.

Aside from being morally reprehensible, your actions constitute a criminal enterprise and tax evasion.
                              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X