Chinese support for Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese support for Trump

When I say Chinese, I don't mean the Chinese government in Beijing.
    Trump have the support of a majority of Chinese people, in China and America.
    Weibo even officially declared Trump the winner in 2016 before we did in the US.

By now, many who watch China have come to the realization that Trump has a “base” in a country one Pacific Ocean away from where ballots were actually cast. Articles have been written about the phenomenon, often with a mixture of amusement and alarm. Understanding Trump’s appeal in China will have limited bearing on how the President-elect conducts his business, but will shed light on the cultural and political propensities of a vocal segment of Chinese society today. The Trump fanfare in China embodies an interesting contradiction: outward-looking, intellectually curious Chinese individuals embracing an American strongman who has built his political brand on xenophobia and ignorance.

Why would well-educated, internet-savvy Chinese, whom economists consider one of the biggest beneficiaries of the past quarter century of globalization, identify with the vengeful, explosive hero of those who have been left behind by that same historical process?

It is hard to pinpoint exactly when a much more favorable view about Trump started to bloom in Chinese cyberspace. Through the lens most commonly used online, he is viewed as a truth-talker, a pragmatist, a fixer, and most importantly, a strong counter-voice against what is believed decadent Western liberal values.

Before we can properly explore Chinese support for Trump, it is important to separate it from Chinese-American rooting for the Republican candidate, which has been based on more substantive issues for people who actually live in the United States. A considerable amount of what’s written on Chinese-language sites about the election is actually by Chinese Americans, especially first-generation Chinese immigrants. Their opposition to Clinton, and Democrats in general, often centers on issues such as affirmative action, which they see hurting hard-working Chinese-American kids.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/11/16...rn-liberalism/
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

90% of my Asian friends love Trump. Even with the tariff war, they like Trump standing up to Xi.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
      90% of my Asian friends love Trump. Even with the tariff war, they like Trump standing up to Xi.
      If we can send him there in one of the containers we use for our Chinese exports, I am willing to pay for the Chinese tariffs, so they can get him at a lower price!
      Last edited by pamak; 21 Aug 18, 23:38.
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

individuals embracing an American strongman who has built his political brand on xenophobia and ignorance.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

He doesn't appear too strong this morning.

We are not now that strength which in old days
          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X