Manafort trial outcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pamak View Post

I understand better than you what the fallacy is. I also understand that this fallacy IS CORRELATED to length of posts and word count. You cannot develop a "multitude of short arguments" (to use your expression) in short posts But I did not expect you to get the connection or the irony.
    An example:

https://www.logicalfallacies.org/pro...verbosity.html

Proof by Verbosity

Also called argumentum verbosium, or proof by intimidation, proof by verbosity is an argument that is far too complicated and verbose for an opponent to reasonably address all the particulars, or the person making the argument is so well-reputed that one takes his claims as truth. Example of Proof by Verbosity

Dr. Samuel Donovan solved a Rubik's Cube in 45 seconds; he won the Medal of Honor for his service in Vietnam, had given lectures across the world in microbiology, and was awarded a Pulitzer Prize; so I don't doubt that his claim is true about the egg coming before the chicken.
    Long posts are not required, content is. This is also variously called, argument by intimidation, appeal to authority, sophism, or more humorously the Chewbacca defense.

Word volume is not part of it, making your response nonsense. As the example shows, it can be managed in one sentence. You do it all the time, as I pointed out in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

An example:

https://www.logicalfallacies.org/pro...verbosity.html

Long posts are not required, content is. This is also variously called, argument by intimidation, appeal to authority, sophism, or more humorously the Chewbacca defense.

Word volume is not part of it, making your response nonsense. As the example shows, it can be managed in one sentence. You do it all the time, as I pointed out in another thread.
      Of course word count and length post is part of it. It is hard to accuse others of making multiple and irrelevant arguments when YOU post lengthy and irrelevant to the subject posts. If you think that a shorter post justifies your claim, you still have to show that it uses a number of claims irrelevant to the discussion.
      Last edited by pamak; 16 Sep 18, 15:28.
      My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          The stupidest thing is your claim about "verbosity" when you give ZERO justification to support your claim other than a definition and when you fail to compare posts to see which argument is "too complicated" or which argument uses many arguments that are irrelevant to the discussion.
          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X