Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double standards in how we cover Saudi Arabian and Iranian behavior and statements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emtos View Post

So it's normal that Israël is responsible fir US policies and takes your money ?
    Just when you’ve said the stupidest thing you manage to top yourself.
    Keep it up you’re hilarious.

Comment

The two nukes dropped on Japan brought an end to War II and saved hundreds of thousands of casualties, both allied and Japanese. Fukushima was Japan's responsibility, not that of the US, and was the result of a natural disaster. And having the monopoly on nuclear weapons at the end of War II kept the Russians out of Japan and protected western Europe from further Russian conquest.

How many nuclear accidents have the Russians had? More than one or two, especially in their navy.
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

First there is the moral obligation because Iran and other Arab states want to drive the Israelis into the sea. Second, they are a democracy, the only one in the Middle East, and they are probably the only really reliable one we have there.
        But they ARE NOT an ally. They are protected by the US, but ally no way close.

Iran and other Arab states I won't let you get away with. Iran is not Arab.

Israel is the only democracy with a giant ghetto created by them. Israel as a democracy is a joke.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowshoveler View Post

Usual but I tend to back some of Emots pov. Would we even be in the ME without Israel?

Comment

The two nukes dropped on Japan brought an end to War II and saved hundreds of thousands of casualties, both allied and JapaneseAnd having the monopoly on nuclear weapons at the end of War II kept the Russians out of Japan and protected western Europe from further Russian conquest.

Japan was on the way to capitulation with the Soviet entry to the war. After the nukes were dropped, US had no more of them so it weren't the nukes that prevented a "Russian conquest". USSR didn't planned any conquests.

. Fukushima was Japan's responsibility, not that of the US, and was the result of a natural disaster.
            US built it and built in a zone where natural disasters are common place. So it's US responsibility.
            How many nuclear accidents have the Russians had? More than one or two, especially in their navy.
            Not much more than US did.
            There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by Snowshoveler View Post

Yeah, all the pro-Israel lobby and the number of Jews in US politics and economy is absolutely normal.
              There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                Israel as a democracy is a joke.
                Actually, no it is not a joke as a democracy. Then things would be much simpler...

BUT the Israeli democracy is buckling under the strain of all the inconsistencies of Israel as a Jewish state created on top of another population, the Palestinians. Israel has so far never managed to resolve this. (When in the ascendant it has deferred solutions, thinking it will just work out in the end anyway, and when things have not been going so well it defaults to defense, and won't risk anything.) Which is part and parcel of the tragedy Israel has been sliding towards over the last decades.

I'd say as a democracy it's increasingly tragic.

Comment

Usual but I tend to back some of Emots pov. Would we even be in the ME without Israel?
                  Yes, well, the US really only stepped in to fully back Israel beginning in 1967. That's when the Europeans took a step back, after previously being the nr 1 supporters of Israel. What changed was that Israel in 1967 for the first time became and aggressor in a war. (De Gaulle actually directly told Gold Meir in Paris that whatever happens, Israel must not become an aggressor, because then the Europeans would not be able to support it the way they previously had.)

But since the US was on stand-by to pick up Israel, cushion whatever fall from grace 1967 meant, it looked like this was all gravy for Israel anyway. The problems stemming from 1967 were of the delayed kind, decades delayed sometimes. (Though the writing was on the wall that this wasn't headed for a good place already twenty or so years into the new situation, with the First Intifada.)

The problem with this is still that ALL the really hard-to-solve-stuff between Israelis and Palestinian stems from the situation created in 1967. The US cushioned Israel, gave it decades of a kind of charmed life, and now it's built itself both a physical and mental bunker (nice enough as such go on the inside certainly), but it's not getting out of it. And neither are the Palestinians, who didn't build it, but had it erected around them instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post

Yes, well, the US really only stepped in to fully back Israel beginning in 1967. That's when the Europeans took a step back, after previously being the nr 1 supporters of Israel. What changed was that Israel in 1967 for the first time became and aggressor in a war. (De Gaulle actually directly told Gold Meir in Paris that whatever happens, Israel must not become an aggressor, because then the Europeans would not be able to support it the way they previously had.)

But since the US was on stand-by to pick up Israel, cushion whatever fall from grace 1967 meant, it looked like this was all gravy for Israel anyway. The problems stemming from 1967 were of the delayed kind, decades delayed sometimes. (Though the writing was on the wall that this wasn't headed for a good place already twenty or so years into the new situation, with the First Intifada.)

The problem with this is still that ALL the really hard-to-solve-stuff between Israelis and Palestinian stems from the situation created in 1967. The US cushioned Israel, gave it decades of a kind of charmed life, and now it's built itself both a physical and mental bunker (nice enough as such go on the inside certainly), but it's not getting out of it. And neither are the Palestinians, who didn't build it, but had it erected around them instead.
                    The Israelis were protecting themselves the Soviets were telling Israel’s belligerent neighbours lies about Israel’s intentions in order for them to attack and destroy Israel and Israel reacted first.

Comment

But they ARE NOT an ally. They are protected by the US, but ally no way close.

Iran and other Arab states I won't let you get away with. Iran is not Arab.

Israel is the only democracy with a giant ghetto created by them. Israel as a democracy is a joke.
                      You are correct. The Iranians are not Arabs, they are Persians and because of that heritage are most likely much more deadly.
                      We are not now that strength which in old days
                      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Banér View Post

In 1967, Israel proved that it was the dominant player in the region, and in the middle of the cold war, the US would not miss the opportunity to get such a player by its side, especially when there were already cultural connections with the country thanks to the presence of a strong Jewish and pro-Israel community in the US and the common roots of the Christian and Jewish religions. But while there were strategic reasons to support Israel back then, this is not the case anymore today. There is no cold war; Israel has harmonized his relations with influential Aran countries, like Saudi Arabia and Egypt, and, of course, Israel is a nuclear power and can defend itself. In any case nothing of the above can justify why we give Saudi Arabia a pass. It looks like we are only offended when Israel is offended!
                        My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

You are correct. The Iranians are not Arabs, they are Persians and because of that heritage are most likely much more deadly.
                          During the last century. The Iranians have never started an aggressive war in the region.
                          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

During the last century. The Iranians have never started an aggressive war in the region.
                            But we have. At least two and working on 3.

Comment

But we have. At least two and working on 3.
                              Israel also has two under its belt: One during the Suez Crisis and one during the 1967 Six Day War.
                              I do not count Lebanon...

Comment

At least Israel is in it's own backyrd and not going 1000's of mile to fight a war in someones country then wonder why they dislike America.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X