SC Plant Closing Due to Tariffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC Plant Closing Due to Tariffs

Element Electronics, a consumer electronics company in South Carolina, says it will be closing its plant in Winnsboro due to tariffs imposed by President Trump.

The State reported Tuesday that the company was one of the largest remaining employers in Fairfield County after the local Walmart, which used to be the largest grocery store in the county, closed its door two years ago.

Element said "the layoff and closure is a result of the new tariffs that were recently and unexpectedly imposed on many goods imported from China, including the key television components used in our assembly operations in Winnsboro," in a letter to the state's Department of Employment and Workforce obtained by the local paper.
    More proof that government intervention is never the answer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/so...ffs/ar-BBLCXAM
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Quick, give them a couple of billions and call it proof that tariffs are working.
    Wisdom is personal

Comment

So why did the Walmart store close? Methinks that perhaps Fairfield County has been on a long-term decline anyway! But though one business has to close, the trend towards the economy, and jobs is the best its been for years.

I do believe that The Hill is all part of the fake news and scare monger agenda.

Same is happening here in the UK where doom and gloom is spouted by the establishment media and annalists to inflate 'project fear'

You lefties can gorge yourselves on the egg-shells, the rest of us will enjoy the omelette
      Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 07 Aug 18, 18:24.
      ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
      All human ills he can subdue,
      Or with a bauble or medal
      Can win mans heart for you;
      And many a blessing know to stew
      To make a megloamaniac bright;
      Give honour to the dainty Corse,
      The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Why is Harley Davidson moving production oversees? The Trump admin is basically picking and choosing which businesses and industries they want to fail or prop up. The point here is that this is not how capitalism works, we should not have businesses suffering at the hands of government intervention.

What type of economy do we have when the government is heavily aiding in the success of one business at the expense of another?
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
        - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
          Why is Harley Davidson moving production oversees? The Trump admin is basically picking and choosing which businesses and industries they want to fail or prop up. The point here is that this is not how capitalism works, we should not have businesses suffering at the hands of government intervention.

What type of economy do we have when the government is heavily aiding in the success of one business at the expense of another?
          As if previous presidents didn't do that. Obama wanted to put the coal and oil industries out of business over semi-pseudoscience. So?

Which is worse? A guy that outright says his plan with hurt millions of Americans or a guy who says his plan will help them? At least Trump isn't simply trying to destroy jobs and people's lives like Obama did.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

As if previous presidents didn't do that. Obama wanted to put the coal and oil industries out of business over semi-pseudoscience. So?

Which is worse? A guy that outright says his plan with hurt millions of Americans or a guy who says his plan will help them? At least Trump isn't simply trying to destroy jobs and people's lives like Obama did.
            No. It's as if I expect republicans to act like republicans instead of democrats. I have to echo Karri's post from another thread:

Originally posted by Karri View Post
            The main problem, from which everything else seems to derive, is that there is not a single person in USA capable of taking responsibility for their actions. Everything seems to be the fault of someone else, and that which is not negative is positive due to the divine intervention of the chosen ideology.
            Here we have a perfect example of someone trying to deflect responsibility for their actions or the actions of one of their own and where will this get us? Eventually both sides are going to continue to lower the bar until there's nothing left of America. If "not as bad as Obama" is the only standard that has to be kept then we may already be gone.

TAG what is your goal? To be just as intrusive as a democrat? To lower republican standards to that of democrats? How is your response remotely acceptable if that is not your goal? Well Obama was worse so being slightly less communistic is ok?
            - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

No. It's as if I expect republicans to act like republicans instead of democrats. I have to echo Karri's post from another thread:

Here we have a perfect example of someone trying to deflect responsibility for their actions or the actions of one of their own and where will this get us? Eventually both sides are going to continue to lower the bar until there's nothing left of America. If "not as bad as Obama" is the only standard that has to be kept then we may already be gone.

TAG what is your goal? To be just as intrusive as a democrat? To lower republican standards to that of democrats? How is your response remotely acceptable if that is not your goal? Well Obama was worse so being slightly less communistic is ok?
              Wrong. I compared and contrasted two president's approaches to economic issues. Obama took a Leftist position where the government was going to dictate economic choices to the economy of the nation he lead based on Leftist dogma. Trump takes an economic position that tries to put the US ahead of the competition using government in the international arena through tariffs.

I then asked which was worse. I say Obama's position since it directly hurts American businesses in certain sectors, picking winners and losers. Trump's use of tariffs and such tries to mitigate the effects of other nation's governments using trade protectionism and tariffs of their own against US business.

Without considering history, and taking just Trump's actions in isolation, we can't see whether his policies are better or worse than previous administrations. All I did was point out the historical aspects of this and the last administration's approaches to economics.

Comment

I'd also note that this county had 5,000 + good construction jobs coming into the Obama administration that died because Obama removed the two nuclear power plants that were going to be built there from government subsidy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/c...-carolina.html

These would have come on line this year had the Obama administration backed their construction with government insurance on the cost of the project. Instead, as with almost all of the Left, Obama strangled the project with regulatory overkill and arcane procedural nonsense because he favored useless wind and solar projects instead, like the Ivanpah bird cooker in California.

Comment

Harley-Davidson: 400 jobs still coming to York County plant

Despite uncertainty over the impact of tariffs for the past several months, Harley-Davidson is still adding approximately 400 positions to its assembly plant in Springettsbury Township, York County.

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20180807...k-county-plant
                  "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Fake news.

Tariffs are bad but the U.S. isn't the problem and a left leaning outlet is probably the worst place to get economic news from.
                    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                      Fake news.

Tariffs are bad but the U.S. isn't the problem and a left leaning outlet is probably the worst place to get economic news from.
                      The news came from the owner of the plant. We don't know what his political affiliation is.
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

I say Obama's position since it directly hurts American businesses in certain sectors, picking winners and losers.
                        That is exactly what is happening with Trump.

Without considering history, and taking just Trump's actions in isolation, we can't see whether his policies are better or worse than previous administrations. All I did was point out the historical aspects of this and the last administration's approaches to economics.
                        You're entirely missing the point. Better or worse is irrelevant when the bar is set as low as it is. What does being better than Obama mean for the country when we're still implementing big government policies, only in a different manner. What matters is whether it's good or bad by itself and whether this is appropriate for small government capitalism. It isn't. I don't look to Obama to grade Trump, I look to our founding fathers.

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                          So why did the Walmart store close? Methinks that perhaps Fairfield County has been on a long-term decline anyway! But though one business has to close, the trend towards the economy, and jobs is the best its been for years.

I do believe that The Hill is all part of the fake news and scare monger agenda.

Same is happening here in the UK where doom and gloom is spouted by the establishment media and annalists to inflate 'project fear'

You lefties can gorge yourselves on the egg-shells, the rest of us will enjoy the omelette
                          Mac truck closed in the 90s'. It's become an armpit society, Walmart can't afford the welfare thefts in their store. Libs blame Trump for all their unresearched ****.
                          My worst jump story:
                          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                          No lie.

~
                          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

The EU raised U.S. motorcycle tariffs from 6% to 31%. Let's blame Trump for that.
                            My worst jump story:
                            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                            No lie.

~
                            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

That is exactly what is happening with Trump.

You're entirely missing the point. Better or worse is irrelevant when the bar is set as low as it is. What does being better than Obama mean for the country when we're still implementing big government policies, only in a different manner. What matters is whether it's good or bad by itself and whether this is appropriate for small government capitalism. It isn't. I don't look to Obama to grade Trump, I look to our founding fathers.
                              It makes a difference on who you are implementing those policies against. In Obama's case he was directly attacking American industries and jobs in those industries he didn't agree with based on Leftist dogma. Trump is taking on other nations and their economic interactions with the US. That is clearly a part of a President's job: Foreign affairs. It isn't a president's job to pick winners and losers in the US marketplace and set government policy to favor or punish some particular industry in America. That is for Congress to decide through legislation, not for the President to do through executive action.

On the other hand, the President is the one that represents America overseas with other nations. It is within existing law for him to set tariffs and negotiate treaties. It is for Congress to decide whether those are good for the country and allow them to stand. Of course, right now, Congress is nearly completely dysfunctional so they're not doing anything one way of the other.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X