Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NRA is Not Too Popular These Days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

The solution however, is to shrink government and promote the benefits of the 2ndA.
    One could start with the abolition of the Department of Education, of the FBI ,of the Office of Government Ethics, of the Mueller Investigation,and the countless other useless departments from the swamp.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

In other words, you do not have any argument against the validity of the statistics and the results
      The point is that they have measured (using the same methodology) that gun-ownership has fallen down over the years. . Sure, there may be many factors involved for this decline, but the effect is that as the rate of gun ownership decreases, the NRA loses its power and popularity. It gradually becomes obsolete for an increasing percentage of the US society which chooses for whatever reason not to have guns.
      Gun ownership is not falling: it is increasing : there are now 393 million guns in the US, against 150 million in 1968 ;in 1986 3 million guns were manufactured, in 2013 10 million +.
      There were in 1968 75 guns for 100 inhabitants, in 2018 120 guns per 100 inhabitants .

Comment

Originally posted by ljadw View Post

Gun ownership is not falling: it is increasing : there are now 393 million guns in the US, against 150 million in 1968 ;in 1986 3 million guns were manufactured, in 2013 10 million +.
        There were in 1968 75 guns for 100 inhabitants, in 2018 120 guns per 100 inhabitants .
        I love the fact that even though we already discussed that the number of guns is not the same as gun ownership rate and that fewer gun-owners can have more guns, you continue make the same claims about the number of guns...

https://www.rsfjournal.org/doi/full/...SF.2017.3.5.02

Put another way, half of the gun stock (approximately 130 million guns) is owned by approximately 86 percent of gun owners, and the other half is owned by 14 percent (14 percent of gun owners equals 7.6 million adults, or 3 percent of the adult U.S. population).9

In other words, half of the gun stock in the US belongs to just 3% of the population.
        Last edited by pamak; 04 Sep 18, 15:20.
        My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

I love the fact that even though we already discussed that the number of guns is not the same as gun ownership rate and that fewer gun-owners can have more guns, you continue make the same claims about the number of guns...

Put another way, half of the gun stock (approximately 130 million guns) is owned by approximately 86 percent of gun owners, and the other half is owned by 14 percent (14 percent of gun owners equals 7.6 million adults, or 3 percent of the adult U.S. population).9

In other words, half of the gun stock in the US belongs to just 3% of the population.
          That is disingenuous at best. From your link:

Beyond that, little more is known about these guns than that they are owned by roughly one in five U.S. adults and can be found in approximately one of three U.S. households. In fact, the most recent peer-reviewed nationally representative survey that focused on details about firearms other than these two basic measures of exposure was conducted in 2004 (Hepburn et al.
          ). Between 2004 and today, we know that the proportion of adults who personally own firearms (and the proportion who live in households with guns) has continued to decline, modestly but steadily, largely because of a decline in personal gun ownership by men. In 2014, for example, the National Opinion Research Centerís General Social Survey, an annual survey that every other year or so includes the same two questions (about personal and household firearm ownership) estimated that 22 percent of U.S. adults personally owned a firearm (35 percent of men and 12 percent of women) and that 31 percent of American households included at least one firearm, compared with 28 percent of U.S. adults (50 percent of men and 10 percent of women) and 47 percent of U.S. households in 1980 (Smith and Son
          ).
          Their estimate is that about a third of all US households has a firearm in it. So, while they estimate that 22% of adults own a weapon, it's likely that nearly half have access to one.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

That is disingenuous at best. From your link:

Their estimate is that about a third of all US households has a firearm in it. So, while they estimate that 22% of adults own a weapon, it's likely that nearly half have access to one.
            Do you understand the difference between having access and OWN?

We are talking about ownership and how it has changed over time. If in the past about 50% had ownership those with ACESS to guns were much more than 50%!
            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Do you understand the difference between having access and OWN?

We are talking about ownership and how it has changed over time. If in the past about 50% had ownership those with ACESS to guns were much more than 50%!
              And? So? I'd postulate that a major reason ownership has gone down is increasingly onerous laws regarding ownership of a firearm. In the past people had more access to firearms and ownership didn't come with massive legal and regulatory strings attached to it. Also, in the past there were more firearms available at reasonable prices than there are today meaning those with less means could purchase a firearm to begin with.

I also would think that access to a firearm is at least as important as owning one.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                The only fantastic thing about Democrats is that they help the NRA more than the Republicans. Membership, donations, training, firearms and ammunition sales sore when Democrats are in office. The only propaganda about the NRA is coming from the libs that don't understand how to interpret factual data or blatantly lie about it.
                When democrats are in office or running for office, expect to see the NRA propagandize the candidate/administration with panic mongering propaganda. People vote out of fear. The NRA is a lobbyist for the MIC, weapons manufacturers. Most RW outlets don't offer facts, they do offer spin. Big difference.

GHWB was right to cancel his lifetime membership decades ago. These days the NRA is struggling and trying to scare people into giving them more money.

index.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

And? So? I'd postulate that a major reason ownership has gone down is increasingly onerous laws regarding ownership of a firearm. In the past people had more access to firearms and ownership didn't come with massive legal and regulatory strings attached to it. Also, in the past there were more firearms available at reasonable prices than there are today meaning those with less means could purchase a firearm to begin with.

I also would think that access to a firearm is at least as important as owning one.
                  And we were talking about the loss of the NRA's popularity as the rate of gun ownership goes down... Your remark about the regulations do not make sense as a counterargument to what I have said since the data I posted are from surveys and questionnaires where the answer of a gun -owner to the question of "if you own a gun or not" should be the same regardless of how strict are the licence requirements.

Notice also that I brought information about some reasons for this reduction of gun ownership. The reduction of hunting (according to the survey I posted way less people hunt these days) as the world became more urbanized is a clear piece of evidence for one of the reasons for this reduction of gun ownership. As I said in other threads, steadily but slowly the conservatives are losing the cultural war as modern societies develop new norms that contradict conservative principles. Gun ownership is just another example of it...
                  Last edited by pamak; 04 Sep 18, 17:15.

Comment

The problem with you is that you believe what fits your agenda. Before you can understand any silly BS on gun ownership numbers you need to know how they got the information, I can tell you it is inaccurate guesswork.
                    My worst jump story:
                    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                    No lie.

~
                    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post

When democrats are in office or running for office, expect to see the NRA propagandize the candidate/administration with panic mongering propaganda. People vote out of fear. The NRA is a lobbyist for the MIC, weapons manufacturers. Most RW outlets don't offer facts, they do offer spin. Big difference.

GHWB was right to cancel his lifetime membership decades ago. These days the NRA is struggling and trying to scare people into giving them more money.

index.jpg
                      Ha, is that all you have? Give us an example of NRA propaganda.
                      My worst jump story:
                      No lie.

~
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

The problem with you is that you believe what fits your agenda. Before you can understand any silly BS on gun ownership numbers you need to know how they got the information, I can tell you it is inaccurate guesswork.
                        You have told me also that according to your sources in Iraq, Iran may support an independent Kurdistan. I do not give a [email protected]@ what you are telling. Did I support my arguments by saying " I can tell you?" NO! I brought information from surveys that have been used for DECADES to measure gun ownership and have been cited in various papers . So, I expect something more credible than your words that you can use to support your opinion.

Comment

Ha, is that all you have? Give us an example of NRA propaganda.
                          My pleasure. The NRA is very good at scaring conservatives.

Warning: Language
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSvGOL9m2h4
                          Attached Files

Comment

And we were talking about the loss of the NRA's popularity as the rate of gun ownership goes down... Your remark about the regulations do not make sense as a counterargument to what I have said since the data I posted are from surveys and questionnaires where the answer of a gun -owner to the question of "if you own a gun or not" should be the same regardless of how strict are the licence requirements.

Notice also that I brought information about some reasons for this reduction of gun ownership. The reduction of hunting (according to the survey I posted way less people hunt these days) as the world became more urbanized is a clear piece of evidence for one of the reasons for this reduction of gun ownership. As I said in other threads, steadily but slowly the conservatives are losing the cultural war as modern societies develop new norms that contradict conservative principles. Gun ownership is just another example of it...
                            Take note; this is how a little boy's mind works (see comment above). I'm not even going to educate you on gun ownership because it's so much more entertaining to read your ridiculous comments.
                            My worst jump story:
                            No lie.

~
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by inevtiab1e View Post

My pleasure. The NRA is very good at scaring conservatives.

Warning: Language
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSvGOL9m2h4
                              I knew you couldn't pull it off, sad waste of bandwidth.
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I knew you couldn't pull it off, sad waste of bandwidth.
                                It was a hint to their TV commercials. That was more satirical and dumb. But their TV commercials are definitely good examples of propaganda. Imagery, language, tone, music....all carefully crafted to target the republican base (or anyone else who's affected by it)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X