Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NRA is Not Too Popular These Days...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pamak View Post

Actual numbers? Table 1 and Table 2 give the numbers. But since you do not know statistics to see how the results of a survey can lead to an estimation of the percentage for the total population, they are meaningless to you. Anyway, those who want (and have the background) to learn more, they can start with

http://gss.norc.org/documents/codebo..._AppendixA.pdf

The above link comes from the documentation page in the link I provided earlier
    Funny, those are not actual numbers they are samples. Someone here needs to take a course in statistics to understand how a sampling of numbers can give you any skewed result desired.
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

And this poster is definitely clueless since he tries to make comments about what I am posting even though he says that I am on his ignore list in which case he cannot read most of the things that other posters do not quote.
      There is no ignore list; it's a figure of speech.
      My worst jump story:
      No lie.

~
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

One cannot compare the number guns between the 1970's and today even taking into account the increase of the population without examining the huge increase of the GDP per capita from 1970 until today which permits people to spend more money for their hobbies. See chart in the following link which is adjusted for inflation

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...D?locations=US

And, yes, this 3% which owns half of the gun stock buys guns not because they need all of them but because it is a hobby just like wargames is a hobby for others who spend a lot of money to collect them even though they are not rich and even though they rarely play them...

In other words, none of your observations refutes the information I have provided...
        Bullshit, I have known a lot of gun owners over the years, and only one guy fits this description of yours. He has more guns than you have underwear, he is the exception, not the norm.
        My worst jump story:
        No lie.

~
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

• Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post

Funny, those are not actual numbers they are samples. Someone here needs to take a course in statistics to understand how a sampling of numbers can give you any skewed result desired.
          So, even though I was talking about a survey you could not figure out that I was talking about samples? it figures... Did you really expect a study that asked every single American if he possesses a gun?
          Last edited by pamak; 06 Sep 18, 19:23.
          My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

There is no ignore list; it's a figure of speech.
            It is not if somebody claims that he cannot read someone's posts. Apparently, this is Rimmer's claim which makes him clueless regarding the development of the conversation here since he cannot see the evidence that I present.
            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Bullshit, I have known a lot of gun owners over the years, and only one guy fits this description of yours. He has more guns than you have underwear, he is the exception, not the norm.
              Well, when I talk abut a 3% of gun owners having half of the gunstock, I obviously talk about exceptions...

Comment

So, even though I was talking about a survey you could not figure out that I was talking about samples? it figures... Did you really expect a study that asked every single American if it possesses a gun?
                Stupid comment again, as I have been saying all along those numbers are not accurate, but you keep on believing them.

My worst jump story:
                No lie.

~
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

It is not if somebody claims that he cannot read someone's posts. Apparently, this is Rimmer's claim which makes him clueless regarding the development of the conversation here since he cannot see the evidence that I present.
                  Do you have any friends?
                  My worst jump story:
                  No lie.

~
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Well, when I talk abut a 3% of gun owners having half of the gunstock, I obviously talk about exceptions...
                    More sampling bullshit? How scientific can you get.
                    My worst jump story:
                    No lie.

~
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

More sampling bullshit? How scientific can you get.
                      Statistics are BASED on sampling. Just because you do not know statistics, it does not mean that it is BS!

The GSS has been used for DECADES by the left and the right!

Here is the Economist, which is not a leftist publication, using the GSS in an article talking about the same thing I say- we have more guns and less gun owners (as a percentage of the population)

https://www.economist.com/united-sta...ked-and-loaded

Comment

Stupid comment again, as I have been saying all along those numbers are not accurate, but you keep on believing them.

A I have said all along, estimations never give accurate numbers, but the trend of reduced gun-ownership is still obvious because we have results of NUMEROUS such estimations over many decades which consistently give a result of significant differences of gun-ownership rates between today and a couple of decades ago.

I also noticed that even though I try to keep the conversation on point without trolling, you just cannot remain calm, logical and civilized. It is not in you...

Comment

Statistics are BASED on sampling. Just because you do not know statistics, it does not mean that it is BS!

The GSS has been used for DECADES by the left and the right!

Here is the Economist, which is not a leftist publication, using the GSS in an article talking about the same thing I say- we have more guns and less gun owners (as a percentage of the population)

https://www.economist.com/united-sta...ked-and-loaded
                          You just don't get it.

My worst jump story:
                          No lie.

~
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

A I have said all along, estimations never give accurate numbers, but the trend of reduced gun-ownership is still obvious because we have results of NUMEROUS such estimations over many decades which consistently give a result of significant differences of gun-ownership rates between today and a couple of decades ago.

I also noticed that even though I try to keep the conversation on point without trolling, you just cannot remain calm, logical and civilized. It is not in you...
                            The point here is that the numbers don't add up. Sorry to disappoint you but you fail at simple logic.
                            My worst jump story:
                            No lie.

~
                            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

The point here is that the numbers don't add up. Sorry to disappoint you but you fail at simple logic.
                              You just troll since you are not interested (or capable) to show what numbers do not add up and why. You are making constantly new claims without some logical continuity and without providing any support.

Meanwhile, according to people who know how to check numbers and have spent their time studying statistics instead of blowing up soda cans outdoors...

https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_rep....jsp?id=social

The GSS—described as a national resource by some—is NSF’s largest sociology project. It has been used in over 9,000 research projects and is frequently cited by the press on various topics. The GSS and its principal investigators have received awards from the American Association for Public Opinion Research, sociological associations, the World Association for Public Opinion Research and American Demographics and Science magazines

http://gss.norc.org/

Dr. Bautista is a Senior Research Scientist in NORC's Statistics and Methodology Department, with substantial experience developing and implementing major NORC and other surveys, as well as leading methodological research over the past decade. Dr. Bautista, who earned his Ph.D. at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, has published scholarly work in peer-reviewed journals and books, and is a frequent presenter in major national and international conferences on survey methodology.

http://www.norc.org/NewsEventsPublic...ributions.aspx

NORC senior fellow in Statistics and Methodology, Colm O’Muircheartaigh, receives the Monroe G. Sirken Award in Interdisciplinary Survey Methods Research

CHICAGO, July 27, 2018 – The
                              American Statistical Association (ASA) honored five members of NORC’s statistics departments, recognizing Colm O’Muircheartaigh, senior fellow in the Statistics and Methodology department; Ken Copeland, senior vice president of Statistics and Methodology; Dan Kasprzyk, senior fellow with the Center for Excellence in Survey Research (CESR); Michael Davern, executive vice president of Research; and Don Jang, vice president of CESR.

As you see the GSS project is part of NORC

http://gss.norc.org/About-The-GSS

The GSS is NORC's longest running project, and one of its most influential.

Now, since it is getting late, go wear your infra red gear and get your rifle to kill some gophers in your backyard instead of killing our brain cells with your ignorant remarks about statistics...
                              Last edited by pamak; 06 Sep 18, 20:53.

Comment

You just troll since you are not interested (or capable) to show what numbers do not add up and why. You are making constantly new claims without some logical continuity and without providing any support.

Meanwhile, according to people who know how to check numbers and have spent their time studying statistics instead of blowing up soda cans outdoors...

https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_rep....jsp?id=social

The GSS—described as a national resource by some—is NSF’s largest sociology project. It has been used in over 9,000 research projects and is frequently cited by the press on various topics. The GSS and its principal investigators have received awards from the American Association for Public Opinion Research, sociological associations, the World Association for Public Opinion Research and American Demographics and Science magazines

http://gss.norc.org/

Dr. Bautista is a Senior Research Scientist in NORC's Statistics and Methodology Department, with substantial experience developing and implementing major NORC and other surveys, as well as leading methodological research over the past decade. Dr. Bautista, who earned his Ph.D. at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, has published scholarly work in peer-reviewed journals and books, and is a frequent presenter in major national and international conferences on survey methodology.

http://www.norc.org/NewsEventsPublic...ributions.aspx

NORC senior fellow in Statistics and Methodology, Colm O’Muircheartaigh, receives the Monroe G. Sirken Award in Interdisciplinary Survey Methods Research

CHICAGO, July 27, 2018 – The
                                American Statistical Association (ASA) honored five members of NORC’s statistics departments, recognizing Colm O’Muircheartaigh, senior fellow in the Statistics and Methodology department; Ken Copeland, senior vice president of Statistics and Methodology; Dan Kasprzyk, senior fellow with the Center for Excellence in Survey Research (CESR); Michael Davern, executive vice president of Research; and Don Jang, vice president of CESR.

As you see the GSS project is part of NORC

http://gss.norc.org/About-The-GSS

The GSS is NORC's longest running project, and one of its most influential.

Now, since it is getting late, go wear your infra red gear and get your rifle to kill some gophers in your backyard instead of killing our brain cells with your ignorant remarks about statistics...
                                Why educate my enemies? That makes zero sense, I've helped you along but it's like teaching a pig to sing.
                                My worst jump story:
                                No lie.

~
                                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X