How Great is the Russian Menace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Great is the Russian Menace

Russia is a significant threat to it's immediate neighbors but less to U.S. interests
    27.27%
    Russia's economy is smaller than Italy's making it's influence much less than that of the USSR
    27.27%
    Russia's nuclear arsenal and energy exports to Europe is a significant obstacle to U.S. interests
    9.09%
    Excluding it's nuclear arsenal Russia is a weak player in international affairs
    31.82%
    Russia's ability to influence U.S. politics is significant
    22.73%
    Russia has little ability to influence U.S. politics
    50.00%
    Russia is still enemy number one as during the cold war
    9.09%
    The cold war is over time to move on
    36.36%
    China is the real threat (it's always economics)
    50.00%
    We should improve relations with Russia and overlook some of Putin's crimes
    13.64%
    We should contain Russian influence and return to cold war policies
    4.55%
    We need Russia's help dealing with rogue states such as North Korea and Iran
    22.73%
    The Russian government is corrupt and we will never build a better relationship until Putin is gone
    27.27%
    Our intelligence agencies our stuck in the 80s and need new blood to be reliable on Russia
    18.18%
    Our intelligence agencies our trustworthy when it comes to Russia
    18.18%
    We hunt the hunters

I'm glad that you can vote for multiple choices because just one or two doesn't cover it. I think that overall, Russia is weaker but is intentionally pushing in public to see what they can get away with, without using overt force. So far, they're doing pretty good. I don't like Putin but I have to give him credit. He has a poor hand but is a great bluffer.

Comment

Putin longs for the glory days of the KGB and the USSR, and he wants the upper hand once again. That makes him dangerous at all times. However, Trump accurately described him as an opponent, not an enemy.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Interesting. It seems the Left leaning members, with the notable exception of Emtos, are still fighting the Cold War while the Center and Right leaning ones are more open to a new dialogue with Russia and more worried about China...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          Interesting. It seems the Left leaning members, with the notable exception of Emtos, are still fighting the Cold War while the Center and Right leaning ones are more open to a new dialogue with Russia and more worried about China...
          While those of us who are veterans of the Cold War know better than to ever trust the Russians. Some of us have been around the block a lot more times than others. Russia does not engage in "dialogues" and China regards economics as a form of warfare.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Interesting that one could make multiple choices...
            I would have added one additional choice which would have been the best answer for me...

"We should try to improve relations with Russia without overlooking some of Putin's crimes"

In effect that is what we are doing now with North Korea. I have not seen yet a POTUS side with Kim Jong-un but who knows? There is still time ahead for more surprises if Trump is determined to win the Nobel Peace Prize
            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

We learned when the USSR fell that the might of the USSR was far less than it had been portrayed. Russia's military inherited the same weaknesses but lost a great deal of industrial base. It is a regional power on land, a bottled-up brown water navy at sea.

Its nuclear arsenal is the only thing that sets it apart from other regional powers, and it is largely Cold War vintage at the moment. Still, it can't be discounted.

China and radical islam are the threats we face today. Not incidentally, the latter is also Russia's prime concern.

I'm not looking to make Russia a favored nation, but the Cold War is over. We need to keep the Ukraine free, and normalize relations with Russia as much as is practicable. Putin will go sooner or later, and trheir next leader might not be able to hold all the border republics in line. As in the Cold War, time is on our side.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                The left still does not grasp economics. Russia's economy won't let it go beyond a regional power at best.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

While those of us who are veterans of the Cold War know better than to ever trust the Russians. Some of us have been around the block a lot more times than others. Russia does not engage in "dialogues" and China regards economics as a form of warfare.
                  Whereas I see Russia as having a relatively good relationship to the US throughout the two's history, punctuated by the stupidity of the Communists from Lenin to Brezhnev. The problem Russia is having right now is recovering from that stupidity. The instant rich and billionaires in Russia were the people that were the biggest black marketers and most corrupt government officials under Communism. Now the inmates are running the prison so-to-speak.

That will change with time. Give Russia a century to straighten their act out and they'll be a lot more like Europe is than what you see now. Putin is just a manifestation of that corruption that filled the void when the even more corrupt and stupid Communists went down in flames.

The up and coming world power is China. For the first time in China's history (other than a very brief foray of their treasure fleet), China is moving onto the world stage as a force to be reckoned with. In a three way power struggle, the US is far better off courting Russia as a friend than letting them remain a neutral player or even becoming buddies with China.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

We shouldn't really trust any other nation. Our allies of today were our enemies in the past. And may be again in the future.

Those of us who were in the Cold War need to keep in mind that the threat we were told we were facing did not in reality exist, as we learned when the USSR fell and the truth came out. There were no 180 divisions waiting to hurl themselves into the Fulda Gap; the Soviet logistics tail was not ready to support an invasion (they had trouble supporting the operations in Afghan), Soviet ICBMs were not ready to launch in a matter of minutes.

The Cold War is over, dead and gone. Russia is a regional power with nuclear weapons; like a rattlesnake, if left alone it is useful so long as it stays where we want it to stay (within its borders).

The USA isn't the military power it was during the Cold War, either. We need to focus on the real threats, and avoid pointless posturing that could get us into a war for which we are not ready.

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post
                      Interesting that one could make multiple choices...
                      I would have added one additional choice which would have been the best answer for me...

"We should try to improve relations with Russia without overlooking some of Putin's crimes"

In effect that is what we are doing now with North Korea. I have not seen yet a POTUS side with Kim Jong-un but who knows? There is still time ahead for more surprises if Trump is determined to win the Nobel Peace Prize
                      Well, Trump's done more to deserve one than Obama has... But that's a pretty low bar to hurtle...

Comment

They're mostly just dangerous to anyone that's not being protected by NATO close to their borders whenever Russia feels that someone is being disloyal to Russia for whatever reason they'll attack just ask Georgia,the Ukraine and the Syrian rebels.
                        As for everyone elses dealings with Russia they're all talk no action there's more important countries like China and Muslim terrorist supporters that need attention then to fulfilling Russians need to believe that they're being oppressed.

Comment

A follow up question

Did you believe the WMD intelligence before the Iraq invasion.

I did not

It seemed illogical to me and too good a bit of propaganda to be true.

I wasn't opposed to the invasion because the Iran Iraq war cost so many lives and I felt it was only a matter of time until Saddam went to war with a neighbor. It seemed like the humanitarian thing to do.

I'm so pessimistic about the Arab states I would not have made the decision to invade Iraq but the Bushs seem to be found of the Saudis which means nobody was thinking along those lines anyway.

The thing I hate about the globalist and banksters is the chaos their idiotic schemes create.
                          We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                            A follow up question

I did not

I wasn't opposed to the invasion because the Iran Iraq war cost so many lives and I felt it was only a matter of time until Saddam went to war with a neighbor. It seemed like the humanitarian thing to do.

I'm so pessimistic about the Arab states I would not have made the decision to invade Iraq but the Bushs seem to be found of the Saudis which means nobody was thinking along those lines anyway.

The thing I hate about the globalist and banksters is the chaos their idiotic schemes create.
                            My view was the "WMD" were irrelevant. Saddam supported terrorism on a massive scale. If we invaded Afghanistan to get Al Qaeda, and bin Laden et. al. had to flee, Iraq would have been a safe haven, even if they didn't see eye-to-eye with Saddam. Any port in a storm. It also meant that Saddam could go on supporting terrorists of all sorts around the world. He had the training camps, embassies, and most importantly cash to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                              A follow up question

I did not

I knew it was all bs once nobody came forward from Saddams government telling of support for Al Qaeda or WMD still being produced after the invasion was over all the war had done was give Americans a temporary sense of control that the 9/11 attacks had took away.
                              Now because of the mess that the Iraq invasion caused there is ISIS and a Shia controlled Iraq allied with Iran which is much worse than what a Hussein controlled Iraq would ever be now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X