This is why people don't trust the liberal media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

You assume wrong. My statement was demarking between Left and The Rest of Us (Center and Right) on where we tend to be demographically in the US. The large urban centers and universities are where you tend to find heavy concentrations of Leftists and Progressives. In terms of overall population, they form about 20 to 25% of the population. Another 20 to 25% will vote more often with the Left than the Center or Right. Thus, Hillary got a slight edge in the popular vote. But, geographically, she lost in about 80% or so of the territory of the US.

This is what makes a straight popular vote for national office dangerous. It essentially disenfranchises the majority of the US leaving the country, as a whole, beholden to the whims of large cities on the two coasts. What works for San Francisco or New York City doesn't often work in small town USA. Yet, that's where we'd end up with a tyranny of the mob on direct democracy.
    To help you articulate what you say..

There are more liberals than conservatives ( Hillary would not attract moderates) but the conservatives are spread in a wider area, and therefore their opinion should count more...

My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by pamak View Post

To help you articulate what you say..

There are more liberals than conservatives but the latter are spread in a wider area, and therefore their opinion should count more...

Actually, you have it backwards. True Progressives and "Liberals" of that ilk make up about 20 to 25% of the population. They can cajole another 20 or so percent to vote with them.
      The majority of people are Centrist to Right of Center. The Right consists of about 20 to 25% of the population. More often than not, the Centrists vote with the Right.

This can be seen in a number of concrete ways.

The Democrat and Republican parties are both minorities now. The biggest voting bloc is "Independent / No party preference."

Progressive and Left leaning publications, magazines, media, etc., do poorly in terms of readership and viewer count compared to more Centrist and Right leaning ones. This goes across the board pretty much.

Democrats and Progressives go to great lengths to camouflage their intentions while Centrist and Right leaning politicians don't have to.

Comment

Actually, you have it backwards. True Progressives and "Liberals" of that ilk make up about 20 to 25% of the population. They can cajole another 20 or so percent to vote with them.
        The majority of people are Centrist to Right of Center. The Right consists of about 20 to 25% of the population. More often than not, the Centrists vote with the Right.

This can be seen in a number of concrete ways.

The Democrat and Republican parties are both minorities now. The biggest voting bloc is "Independent / No party preference."

Progressive and Left leaning publications, magazines, media, etc., do poorly in terms of readership and viewer count compared to more Centrist and Right leaning ones. This goes across the board pretty much.

Democrats and Progressives go to great lengths to camouflage their intentions while Centrist and Right leaning politicians don't have to.

Looks like you are making a lot of assumptions in your post. I question how accurate your assumptions really are. Every political splinter faction inflates its numbers at every opportunity to appear more important and "relevant" than they actually are.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Looks like you are making a lot of assumptions in your post. I question how accurate your assumptions really are. Every political splinter faction inflates its numbers at every opportunity to appear more important and "relevant" than they actually are.

As of October 2017
          , Gallup
          polling found that 31% of Americans identified as Democrat, 24% identified as Republican, and 42% as Independent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_U.S._states

Like I said the two major parties are now minority status ones. Independents are the biggest voting block and getting bigger.

In terms of publications and news...

Same thing. Like it or not FOX blows its competition away for viewers and is generally held to be the least Left leaning of television and cable news. The Nation, Newsweek, Time, are all doing poorly for readership. On the radio, Progressive talk radio almost doesn't exist while Conservative talk radio thrives.

I could drag out a Doctor-like pile of graphs and charts, along with other stuff, but it really isn't necessary to prove what should be a nearly self-evident point to anyone paying even a little attention.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_U.S._states

Like I said the two major parties are now minority status ones. Independents are the biggest voting block and getting bigger.

In terms of publications and news...

Same thing. Like it or not FOX blows its competition away for viewers and is generally held to be the least Left leaning of television and cable news. The Nation, Newsweek, Time, are all doing poorly for readership. On the radio, Progressive talk radio almost doesn't exist while Conservative talk radio thrives.

I could drag out a Doctor-like pile of graphs and charts, along with other stuff, but it really isn't necessary to prove what should be a nearly self-evident point to anyone paying even a little attention.
            Generally speaking on this forum, this statement :
            should be a nearly self-evident point to anyone paying even a little attention
            , is synonymous with an attempt to bury us in BS. You have long resisted being told that yourself, and even Massena uses the same words to those he disagrees with, so your comment is refused categorically.

OTH, if you disagree with me, then clearly you are unable to comprehend what should be blindingly clear.

As for "doing a Doc", knock yourself out. Whatever flips your skirt up.

Comment

The evidence is overwhelming. Most people, other than Progressives-- and by extension, Democrats-- don't trust the media, find it biased to the Left, and basically don't pay attention to that part of the political spectrum as offered up by much of the MSM:

http://www.people-press.org/2013/08/...le-stands-out/

https://news.gallup.com/poll/195542/...s-new-low.aspx

The graph shown here highlights that both Republicans and Independents tend not to trust the media to be fair and accurate in reporting. That trend is getting worse. Only Democrats and Progressives tend to accept the media as accurate on the whole.

http://www.people-press.org/2013/08/...han-democrats/

https://www.businessinsider.com/libe...-chart-2014-11

https://www.mrc.org/media-bias-101/j...-bias-part-one

All of that is costing much of the MSM viewers, readers, and listeners. The majority of people don't want to be bombarded with Leftist biased media.

Comment

It's hard to trust any of the media these days.

Comment

Comment

The evidence is overwhelming. Most people, other than Progressives-- and by extension, Democrats-- don't trust the media, find it biased to the Left, and basically don't pay attention to that part of the political spectrum as offered up by much of the MSM:

http://www.people-press.org/2013/08/...le-stands-out/

https://news.gallup.com/poll/195542/...s-new-low.aspx

The graph shown here highlights that both Republicans and Independents tend not to trust the media to be fair and accurate in reporting. That trend is getting worse. Only Democrats and Progressives tend to accept the media as accurate on the whole.

http://www.people-press.org/2013/08/...han-democrats/

https://www.businessinsider.com/libe...-chart-2014-11

https://www.mrc.org/media-bias-101/j...-bias-part-one

All of that is costing much of the MSM viewers, readers, and listeners. The majority of people don't want to be bombarded with Leftist biased media.

Bold mine

I will play... Quotes in red. Bold red mine for emphasis...

from the source YOU chose (in bold)

https://news.gallup.com/poll/224672/...ed-titles.aspx

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans once again are most likely to name Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton as the man and woman living anywhere in the world they admire most, as they have for the past 10 years. The pair retain their titles this year, although by much narrower margins than in the past. Obama edges out Donald Trump, 17% to 14%, while Clinton edges out Michelle Obama, 9% to 7%.

From another source

https://www.newsweek.com/americans-d...ay-less-635426

A new poll Wednesday indicated that Trump’s broadsides against CNN have perhaps affected how folks view the network—it was found to be the least-credible media outlet. But while CNN might not have the full trust of its viewers and readers, respondents in the poll still believe the media outlet far more than the president.

and what about FOX News?

PBS had the highest net credibility rating (a measurement that subtracts the percentage of voters who responded not credible from the percentage of those who responded credible) of 41 percent, according to the Morning Consult/Politico poll. After PBS, the list of media outlets ran: The Wall Street Journal (37 percent), ABC (35 percent), CBS (35 percent), NBC (32 percent), The Washington Post (27 percent), The New York Times (27 percent), MSNBC (20 percent), Fox News (18 percent) and, finally, CNN (17 percent).

In other words, FOX News and CNN are practically tied (I bet within the margin of error of this survey) while WaPo and NYT are CLEARLY ahead regarding their credibility...
                    My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Too true...

Comment

In other words, FOX News and CNN are practically tied (I bet within the margin of error of this survey) while WaPo and NYT are CLEARLY ahead regarding their credibility...
                        Now that's funny...no matter who you are...

Comment

In continuation of my previous post, let's take another link that TAG used as a credible source for his claims

From Businessindeiser

https://www.businessinsider.com/stud...-at-all-2012-5
                          STUDY: Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All

Media outlets such as Fox News and MSNBC have a negative impact on people's current events knowledge while NPR and Sunday morning political talk shows are the most informative sources of news, according to Fairleigh Dickinson University's newest PublicMind survey.

4fbbf449eab8ea4c79000007-480-268.jpg

I am having fun with this game...

Comment

In continuation of my previous post, let's take another link that TAG used as a credible source for his claims

From Businessindeiser

https://www.businessinsider.com/stud...-at-all-2012-5
                            STUDY: Watching Only Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All

Media outlets such as Fox News and MSNBC have a negative impact on people's current events knowledge while NPR and Sunday morning political talk shows are the most informative sources of news, according to Fairleigh Dickinson University's newest PublicMind survey.

4fbbf449eab8ea4c79000007-480-268.jpg

I am having fun with this game...
                            You, quite frankly know nothing about statistics. The "study" you cite is a POS big time. The questions are generally loaded and there is considerable bias in the multiple choice answers they use, along with problems in how the questions are even worded. There is nothing fair or neutral about their poll and it was poorly devised. I guess that's to be expected from a no-name university conduction such a poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              It's hard to trust any of the media these days.
                              I agree!
                              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

You, quite frankly know nothing about statistics. The "study" you cite is a POS big time. The questions are generally loaded and there is considerable bias in the multiple choice answers they use, along with problems in how the questions are even worded. There is nothing fair or neutral about their poll and it was poorly devised. I guess that's to be expected from a no-name university conduction such a poll.
                                Lot's of claims and no evidence..

Also, if this businessinsider site brings unreliable statistics then why should we accept the study YOU BROUGHT FROM THE SAME LINK about the liberal media? And why are you using unreliable media for your claims?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X