No announcement yet.

Is Doxxing Legal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doxxing is generally illegal in one way or another.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/mald...-it-is-illegal

The first way it's illegal is it violates terms of service on many sites and servers. This is a civil matter and the owner of the site could sue, as could the doxed person. The doxed individual could sue the site for not living up to their contract. The site can sue the individuals for breech of terms of service and the cost of repairing the damage.

Next. at least in the US there are anti-bullying and cyber-bullying laws in place that make such acts criminally illegal. The problem in enforcement is that current those agencies that would have jurisdiction have neither the time or money to pursue most, or any, doxing cases.

This would leave it up to the individual being doxed to pursue the persons doing it. That is a daunting task if that individual isn't highly computer literate or has the funds to hire a company or person to do the necessary work to identify the doxers.

The best way to handle this is remember at all times Anything you put on the internet is public in one form or another and can be used against you. Therefore, be careful what you put on the internet.

Comment

Doxxing is already illegal, since no one has the right, without due process of law, to destroy the livelihood and reputation of anyone else.

Would you want it done to you?
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Doxxing is already illegal, since no one has the right, without due process of law, to destroy the livelihood and reputation of anyone else.

Would you want it done to you?
        The problem is that the person doing the doxxing isn't the one who is actively causing the harm or harassment. The person who discloses your private information isn't automatically considered part of any criminal acts against you committed by the persons who learn your information.
        The person has to be part of the plan to engage in a criminal act against you. Essentially a conspiracy.
        Merely identifying the person isn't enough to make you part of later criminal acts.

The doxxer knows full well the person will be harassed, but isn't involved in that harassment directly or knowingly.
        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
          The fact is, the people doing the Doxxing are the wanna-be KGB and/or Gestapo goons among us.

The very instant that they can, they will join up with a Totalitarian Dictatorship and go hog-wild oppressing everyone that they can, usurp every bit of power that they can and do the absolute maximum harm that they can to their fellow human beings.... and they will justify it by de-humanizing their political enemies.
          It is what they life for, that opportunity, and in the meanwhile they do stupid things like this.

Remember them. When it all hits the fan, there will be an opportunity to head them off at the pass, but it will be a fleeting one.
          I find it ironic that you de-humanize an entire group of people by accusing them of dehumanizing others.

Don't you ever get tired of conspiracy theories?
          Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

The problem is that the person doing the doxxing isn't the one who is actively causing the harm or harassment. The person who discloses your private information isn't automatically considered part of any criminal acts against you committed by the persons who learn your information.
            The person has to be part of the plan to engage in a criminal act against you. Essentially a conspiracy.
            Merely identifying the person isn't enough to make you part of later criminal acts.

The doxxer knows full well the person will be harassed, but isn't involved in that harassment directly or knowingly.
            But in one of Regina's Twitter posts, she gave another person's license plate information and urged Twitter to do its thing, clearly implying that something has to be done to harm that person. In my book, that's inciting people to do harm, fully knowing that Twitter is full of people who thrive on hurting others for no good reason.

Obviously from a legal standpoint, you are probably right on doxxing, but at times I feel it's just absolutely sickening to see that type of behavior.
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              Doxxing is generally illegal in one way or another.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/mald...-it-is-illegal

The first way it's illegal is it violates terms of service on many sites and servers. This is a civil matter and the owner of the site could sue, as could the doxed person. The doxed individual could sue the site for not living up to their contract. The site can sue the individuals for breech of terms of service and the cost of repairing the damage.

Next. at least in the US there are anti-bullying and cyber-bullying laws in place that make such acts criminally illegal. The problem in enforcement is that current those agencies that would have jurisdiction have neither the time or money to pursue most, or any, doxing cases.

This would leave it up to the individual being doxed to pursue the persons doing it. That is a daunting task if that individual isn't highly computer literate or has the funds to hire a company or person to do the necessary work to identify the doxers.

The best way to handle this is remember at all times Anything you put on the internet is public in one form or another and can be used against you. Therefore, be careful what you put on the internet.
              Anti-bullying or cyber bullying laws are directed at harassment by an individual. If I identify you and others harass you, the law will not punish me. It can only try to punish the persons actively harassing you.
              While this may seem to be a fine line and we all know what the purpose of doxxing is, we cannot hold a person responsible for independent criminal acts of others unless the "doxxer" is somehow directly involved in the criminal acts. Merely disclosing your personal information is not a criminal act, nor would it permit you to sue me in civil court. You could only do that if I had entered into an agreement with you (directly) not to disclose your personal information

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

Except that the person disclosing the information is doing it with intent to deliberately harm the target individual. I repeat: do you want it done to you?
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post

But in one of Regina's Twitter posts, she gave another person's license plate information and urged Twitter to do its thing, clearly implying that something has to be done to harm that person. In my book, that's inciting people to do harm, fully knowing that Twitter is full of people who thrive on hurting others for no good reason.

Obviously from a legal standpoint, you are probably right on doxxing, but at times I feel it's just absolutely sickening to see that type of behavior.
                  You are right, urging people to attack the victim does change things.
                  I do not know if it changes things enough, but it is different from the scenario I imagined where the doxxer merely identifies you,.
                  I agree it is sickening, but I'm not sure if it can be stopped without running afoul of free speech issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Except that the person disclosing the information is doing it with intent to deliberately harm the target individual. I repeat: do you want it done to you?
                    Of course I don't want it done to me. Or anyone
                    The doxxer certainly means to harm you, but the actual harm is carried out by others unconnected to the doxxer. That is where the problem lies. I'm not defending doxxing, merely pointing out the problem with combating it.

Comment

Well, don't go around yelling racial slurs, especially on camera. Or in general, don't do stupid and annoying ****.
                      Wisdom is personal

Comment

There is no harm implied in "do its thing".

Do you feel that people shouldn't be held accountable for their actions? What if that man just wasn't a racist *******, then none of this would have happened.

If someone picks a fight and then gets their ass whooped why the hell should I feel sorry for him?

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                        - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Conservatives today, 'hey be nice to the racists, but f* everyone else.' Conservatives have no problem hurling nasty attacks at every group imaginable, but want everyone to be sympathetic towards racist individuals. No thanks.
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

There is no harm implied in "do its thing".

Do you feel that people shouldn't be held accountable for their actions? What if that man just wasn't a racist *******, then none of this would have happened.

If someone picks a fight and then gets their ass whooped why the hell should I feel sorry for him?
                            Because it is something you can perfectly ignore at will. Just because someone did wrong you doesn't mean you now have a license to take his livelihood away over something that can be ignored at will.

And yes, I see something harmful in asking Twitter to do its thing. Twitter is full of trolls who thrive on this sort of thing. Regina perfectly knew what she was asking for. What if someone decided to beat the other person down? The way I see it, she's lucky that the other person wasn't physically injured, otherwise it'd be her butt in jail, where it rightfully belongs in my opinion.

I know this might surprise you, but even racists do have the right to live in peace and are entitled to their racist opinions.
                            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

I don't twitter, I don't tweet, I don't face, hell I don't even e- mail I don't understand why anyone would their life on display on the Internet I don't understand, and I never will!
                              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Yes, racial slurs are trivial. All she had to was to ignore that. Frankly, I now think she just used that as pretext to destroy someone's livelihood because she got a thrill out of it.
                                They are trivial, unless the race card is all you have in life. Then is becomes the biggest issue ever,. Mainly they establish who the whiny little b*tches are.

The only way I can see that this practice is illegal is if the person doing it obtained the data unlawfully, or included data protected by law.
                                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X