Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Doxxing Legal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Doxxing Legal?

    I'm curious what is your view on doxxing? Is it even legal?

    Recently someone in a far leftist group on Facebook proudly shared another person's public post of urging the Twitter to doxx someone who had used filthy language and uttered racial slurs while following that person on the road. After a while, the Twitter followers managed to dig up all public information on that person and got her fired from her job. All that information is put out in public, on Facebook and Twitter.

    Don't get me wrong, what that person who used racial slurs is very wrong to do that and maybe deserves a warning or suspension with pay at her job. But to destroy that person's livelihood over something trivial as racial slurs is going over the line. Since this incident took place while on the road, the victim could have simply ignored that person and went on her way, or at least filed a police report with appropriate authorities as this could be classified as harassment (road rage).

    Yeah, karma got that person real good, but occasionally I find myself wondering if the world would be much a better place if we simply ignored every little offending remark and dealt with it in a mature manner instead of throwing a tantrum on social media in hope of destroying another person's livelihood.

    This is the Left's mentality at work.

    With this, I'm also wondering if we need to tighten up privacy laws and make it illegal for anyone to air out public information as a means of getting revenge on another person no matter how it is justified. Too much personal information can be found in public domain, so this needs to be addressed as well.

    You can see her handiwork at this link: https://www.facebook.com/regina.mcra...56475895767748
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

    "Aim small, miss small."

  • #2
    Never heard the term and don't have the energy to look it up. I must be old and boring (TG).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by johns624 View Post
      Never heard the term and don't have the energy to look it up. I must be old and boring (TG).
      Doxxing is basically putting published information of someone together. A bit of detective work and a bit more of stalking. Ie. if I look at your profile, I can see that you live in Detroit, United States and work/worked as retail manager, and perhaps your name is John S. If I went through your posts I could probably put together more information, and with that then find out your real identity(ever so easy if you are member of any social media).

      Unlike Cheetah proposes this is not the work of the "Left". This is because today we all live in a totally surveilled state. Pretty much everything you do or say leaves a track that can be used.

      Should doxxing be illegal? No. What should be illegal are these modern witch hunts.
      Last edited by Karri; 12 Jul 18, 15:12.
      You can have as much bias as yo are prepared to pay for.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Karri View Post

        Doxxing is basically putting published information of someone together. A bit of detective work and a bit more of stalking. Ie. if I look at your profile, I can see that you live in Detroit, United States and work/worked as retail manager, and perhaps your name is John S. If I went through your posts I could probably put together more information, and with that then find out your real identity(ever so easy if you are member of any social media).

        Unlike Cheetah proposes this is not the work of the "Left". This is because today we all live in a totally surveilled state. Pretty much everything you do or say leaves a track that can be used.
        No, you misread me, I was saying that this is Left's mentality at work. This is a common tactic used by the Left to rip apart anyone who disagrees with the Left's ideology. While it is true that some on the Right use doxxing tactics (a rare occasion), it is widely acknowledged by both sides that doxxing is primarily done by leftist activists.

        Needless to say, regardless of which politics you belong to, I deeply believe doxxing is wrong and should be considered illegal. This is something about it I find distasteful. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

        Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

        "Aim small, miss small."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
          While it is true that some on the Right use doxxing tactics (a rare occasion)
          Source? You start the thread by asking if doxxing is legal so you clearly don't know enough about the subject to make any such claims without sources.

          something trivial as racial slurs
          She didn't find those slurs to be trivial.
          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
          - Benjamin Franklin

          The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

            Source? You start the thread by asking if doxxing is legal so you clearly don't know enough about the subject to make any such claims without sources.



            She didn't find those slurs to be trivial.
            Yes, racial slurs are trivial. All she had to was to ignore that. Frankly, I now think she just used that as pretext to destroy someone's livelihood because she got a thrill out of it.
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

            "Aim small, miss small."

            Comment


            • #7
              Doxxing is legal.
              It is a free speech issue.
              In order to make it illegal you would have to connect the legal act of spreading information with the illegal acts of harassing the person you've identified.
              In other words, you would have to establish that the person who spread the information was part of a conspiracy to harass the person identified.

              Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

              Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

              Comment


              • #8
                The problem isn't doxxing it's the outrage culture.

                I have lived in a true surveillance state. I grew up in a small town :-) If you wanted to do something and not have it become part of the gossip mill you had to do it hundreds of miles away in a city and keep your mouth shut. In such an environment you learn an odd kind of tolerance. When you are conscious that you depend on the goodwill of your neighbors casting the first stone is less attractive. This doesn't work in tribal societies because they are cemented by group loyalty and honor not the Western idea of the divinity of the individual.

                What we are seeing is a breakdown of civilization and a return to tribalism. The individual is irrelevant outside of their tribal affiliation. Identify politics is only effective because the tribes were already cemented. This is characteristic of both the left and right.

                What we want is a society where surveillance is irrelevant not illusory privacy. There are many platitudes that are applicable. Don't cast the first stone, first remove the beam out of you own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother's eye, what goes around comes around, etc. It's only the left's totally rejection of acquired wisdom that makes them worse than the right.

                We even have to accept a certain degree of criminality, not to mention unconscionable speech, to maintain a society open enough to move forward. Something the left understood before the neo Marxists, globalists, post modernists, and corporatists gained dominance.
                We hunt the hunters

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                  She didn't find those slurs to be trivial.
                  To the weak minded perhaps.

                  If everyone considered slurs to be such a heinous thing as to warrant ruining someone's life, I'd be investigating a string of murders every night and would personally have a body count in the hundreds.



                  As Cambronne said, there's nothing technically illegal with doxxing, provided that there's no intent to harrass. However, I would argue that there's only one reason that anyone doxxes anyone, and that is to harass, defame, and materially or physically harm said person.

                  That being said, the doxxing will continue, and continue to be legal, until someone is doxxed, finds the identity of the doxxer, and then very publicly makes them "Suck Start a 12 gauge". Then it'll be important enough to the various legislatures and courts to do something about it. It's like stop lights at intersections.....no one cares to go through the trouble until there are some bodies on the ground, then it's worth it.
                  Last edited by TacCovert4; 12 Jul 18, 16:53.
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

                    To the weak minded perhaps.

                    If everyone considered slurs to be such a heinous thing as to warrant ruining someone's life, I'd be investigating a string of murders every night and would personally have a body count in the hundreds.



                    As Cambronne said, there's nothing technically illegal with doxxing, provided that there's no intent to harrass. However, I would argue that there's only one reason that anyone doxxes anyone, and that is to harass, defame, and materially or physically harm said person.

                    That being said, the doxxing will continue, and continue to be legal, until someone is doxxed, finds the identity of the doxxer, and then very publicly makes them "Suck Start a 12 gauge". Then it'll be important enough to the various legislatures and courts to do something about it. It's like stop lights at intersections.....no one cares to go through the trouble until there are some bodies on the ground, then it's worth it.
                    There's a difference between not allowing yourself to be bullied and being hurt by what someone said.

                    Just because you allowed yourself to be bullied doesn't mean everyone else should take it sitting down.
                    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                    - Benjamin Franklin

                    The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The fact is, the people doing the Doxxing are the wanna-be KGB and/or Gestapo goons among us.

                      The very instant that they can, they will join up with a Totalitarian Dictatorship and go hog-wild oppressing everyone that they can, usurp every bit of power that they can and do the absolute maximum harm that they can to their fellow human beings.... and they will justify it by de-humanizing their political enemies.
                      It is what they life for, that opportunity, and in the meanwhile they do stupid things like this.

                      Remember them. When it all hits the fan, there will be an opportunity to head them off at the pass, but it will be a fleeting one.
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

                      -Captain Jack

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post

                        There's a difference between not allowing yourself to be bullied and being hurt by what someone said.

                        Just because you allowed yourself to be bullied doesn't mean everyone else should take it sitting down.
                        So if someone says a word out of turn to you on the street, you are in support of causing permanent and irreparable damage to them, to include opening them up to the possibility of physical harm?

                        Bullying is a pattern of and long-term affair. Totally different to someone shouting from one car to a stranger in another car in passing. But hey, if your social mores advocate vengeance, I just hope that if it is ever done to you you don't clog up the overburdened court system with your whining about it.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

                          So if someone says a word out of turn to you on the street, you are in support of causing permanent and irreparable damage to them, to include opening them up to the possibility of physical harm?

                          Bullying is a pattern of and long-term affair. Totally different to someone shouting from one car to a stranger in another car in passing. But hey, if your social mores advocate vengeance, I just hope that if it is ever done to you you don't clog up the overburdened court system with your whining about it.
                          We don't know how many times she has had racial slurs directed towards her. Maybe she was done with turning the other cheek?

                          It's not how I would handle it but for too long conservatives have gotten away with being insulting and people are finally fed up with it. If you're afraid of what the response might be, then don't go around yelling obscenities at people.
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                          - Benjamin Franklin

                          The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The real issue is class not race. Race was just a convenient way to get some members of the lower class to help keep others in servitude. Many blacks are waking up to the fact that identity politics is a hand Madden of servitude to the globalist, corporatist, socialist state.
                            We hunt the hunters

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                              The fact is, the people doing the Doxxing are the wanna-be KGB and/or Gestapo goons among us.

                              The very instant that they can, they will join up with a Totalitarian Dictatorship and go hog-wild oppressing everyone that they can, usurp every bit of power that they can and do the absolute maximum harm that they can to their fellow human beings.... and they will justify it by de-humanizing their political enemies.
                              It is what they life for, that opportunity, and in the meanwhile they do stupid things like this.

                              Remember them. When it all hits the fan, there will be an opportunity to head them off at the pass, but it will be a fleeting one.
                              Says the person who posted a link here encouraging conservatives to track and monitor leftists and find their real address...

                              https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...e2#post5044999


                              From the link that was provided in the previous post

                              https://www.theburningplatform.com/2...king-them-now/


                              "It is time for all Americans to start identifying, tracking, and monitoring leftist organizations and individuals, with special attention being paid to those who are known to have actively attacked American citizens, those working to bring foreigners illegally into the country, and those who openly espouse “socialist” or Communist political platforms. It is high time that we stopped looking at these people as merely stupid, ignorant or misguided “fellow citizens. They are nothing of the sort. This is the end of their treasonous dream and they know it. Stand by for much more rabble-rousing and rough stuff from them."

                              " I would urge you to begin locally. Most of these groups are cocky enough to actually put themselves on the Internet. You need to go on-line and start making detailed lists of these groups in your state and local area and, when possible, to note the names of all of the persons listed. In some cases, they will have photographs posted on Facebook or other sites. You will note that most of them carefully avoid providing a valid address and I suspect many are using fake names. Many of them are perfectly aware of the essentially criminal nature of their activities, current or planned."

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X