Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Trumpís Tariffs On Steel Brings Life Back To Small Towns

http://www.oann.com/president-trumps...o-small-towns/
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

on the other hand small town farmers may be losing jobs.

This is never gonna be about one town or one sector but an overall tally on losses and wins.

Comment

Jeez...

Yeah, sure, the danger what "may" happen always seems to be more important than what really is happening.... in the minds of Trump Haters who have no ability to change their minds about anything.

We'll see how November goes, but until them, I'm tuning out from the Endless Re-run Channel.

Comment

A start tell me when it gets to the Ohio Rive and places like younstown OH.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Youngstown and the Mon River Valley will never come back. All the mills were razed in the 80s and 90s. Granite City isn't really a small town, but a suburb of St Louis. The mill was just shut down a couple of years ago and mothballed. It is also relatively small. When US Steel reopens the whole Fairfield Works outside of Birmingham , Alabama and the mill in Lorain, Ohio, then that'll be something.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
            Jeez...

Yeah, sure, the danger what "may" happen always seems to be more important than what really is happening.... in the minds of Trump Haters who have no ability to change their minds about anything.

We'll see how November goes, but until them, I'm tuning out from the Endless Re-run Channel.
            when your due for a economic screw up you should be careful. When we have the same indicators that were in place in 2006.

But hey lets just head blindly into a great depression.

This is not good or bad news. It just hey some people are winning but your ignoring the other part that some people are losing.

Comment

Yep, according to my Fidelity financial advisor, the economy is on the downward swing, heading towards the next recession. Time to add a few bonds..

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                Youngstown and the Mon River Valley will never come back. All the mills were razed in the 80s and 90s. Granite City isn't really a small town, but a suburb of St Louis. The mill was just shut down a couple of years ago and mothballed. It is also relatively small. When US Steel reopens the whole Fairfield Works outside of Birmingham , Alabama and the mill in Lorain, Ohio, then that'll be something.
                That is why this is all a wish it was so...like coal mining. It's gone, just like carriage and harness making .
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post

on the other hand small town farmers may be losing jobs.

This is never gonna be about one town or one sector but an overall tally on losses and wins.
                  Maybe, but how does that tie in to resurrecting small town industry?

Stay on topic, please.
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

um one small town increase maybe another small towns loss of farming. See dots connected now for ya

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Maybe, but how does that tie in to resurrecting small town industry?

Stay on topic, please.
                      Once again, Granite City is not a small town. It is a suburb of St Louis with almost 30,000 people.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

That is why this is all a wish it was so...like coal mining. It's gone, just like carriage and harness making .
                        It sounds more and more like nostalgia. I wonder if any of these people wishing for the glory days of industry to return have any actual experience of these industries...I've worked in enough factories to not want to work in another ever again.
                        Wisdom is personal

Comment

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. One place comes back to live, another dies.
                          Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post

It sounds more and more like nostalgia. I wonder if any of these people wishing for the glory days of industry to return have any actual experience of these industries...I've worked in enough factories to not want to work in another ever again.
                            I've studied the US steel industry quite a bit. The good jobs (relative term) went to people of Western European/Anglo Saxon descent. Next down the rung was the blast furnaces, mainly first generation Slavs. The bottom of the barrel jobs in coke works and byproduct (benzene, etc.) plants went to Blacks. The coming of unions changed that some, but not totally.

Comment

https://www.thebalance.com/us-economic-outlook-3305669

Economists are notoriously bad at predictions. That said the pessimism expressed above can only be explained by wishful thinking. Perhaps the steel industry is never going to be competitive again but overall the economy doesn't look that bad.

What never gets discussed is the relationship between the steel industry and defense. No industrial military complex can rely on cheap imports.
                              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X