Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by American87 View Post

Why did you misquote me?
    Nobody misquoted you. That was your one word response in Post #12.

Comment

You also said youíre a Republican. Donít bother asking for the quote, Iím not digging through this site for your posts. I think Trump has spun your head into a tizzy.
      Many states (the 18 freer ones) don't make a person a person register with a party. Therefore, everyone is an independent. It's what side that you normally vote for that determines what you call yourself.
      Let's see, just in this thread you've been wrong about 1. What an immigrant is, 2. What a marker cycle is and 3. How you can consider yourself part of a party without being in it. That looks like three strikes and you're out!

Comment

So I have to take gripe with the liberal (popular?) viewpoint that America is a country of immigrants. For the most part, this country was founded by -emmigrants-. That is, Englishmen and Dutchmen migrated from their homesteads in Europe to other parts of the country overseas. These emmigrants were no more foreigners than the Americans who settled Alabama, Tennessee, Nevada, and California. Of course, these emmigrants were the dominant group in the colonial/early national era; the population of New England perhaps almost completely fit this demographic.

There were two groups that could legitimately be considered "immigrants." These were the German Quakers, who settled in Pennsylvania, and the Scots-Irish, who settled in the Appalachian mountains. These individuals were not English or Dutch citizens, but foreigners who settled in foreign-held land. I'm not up on my UK history, so perhaps the Scots-Irish might not be considered foreigners to the British Empire.

The slaves are tougher to describe. They were certainly foreign in the sense that they were not English or Dutch, but they were not strictly immigrants because the English and Dutch purchased them and brought them over. In my opinion, they are as native as the English and Dutch are, but their contribution to society before the Civil War was primarily economic.

What do you think? Is the US a country founded by immigrants?

Edit: Can a moderator please delete the calender?
        I would suggest you pick up the book; American Colonies: The settling of North America by Alan Taylor. And then revisit your post.
        Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

And then there was the Irish.
          Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

Exactly. I was just drawing Slick Miesters argument to its logical conclusion. The USA didnít see any major immigration until the 1840s, so I donít agree that we are a nation of immigrants or any other phoney baloney things Democrats say in order to justify eliminating borders.
            Right. The Pilgrims who landed on Plymouth Rock were really just paler versions of Native Americans.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Right. The Pilgrims who landed on Plymouth Rock were really just paler versions of Native Americans.
              Maybe he thinks that Britain, Spain, France and The Netherlands always owned America and the Indians were just illegal squatters...

Comment

Originally posted by Anthrax View Post

I would suggest you pick up the book; American Colonies: The settling of North America by Alan Taylor. And then revisit your post.
                Iíve read that book. Itís a rag of liberal ideology, IMO
                "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

They were Anglo-Saxon: the same stock that conquered England.
                  "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Comment

They were immigrants none the less and being Anglo-Saxon they also immigrated to the UK before controlling it.

so I donít agree that we are a nation of immigrants or any other phoney baloney things Democrats say
                    Your agreement is of little importance. How did your family get to the US? They immigrated at sometime in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe79i1mu-mc
                    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

So if Anglo-Saxons are not indigenous to the New World -- which clearly they are not -- then how can they be viewed as anything else but migrants, immigrants, invaders, refugees, or interlopers?

Come to think of it, Anglo-Saxons aren't even indigenous to the British Isles. Don't take my word for it: just ask the Welsh and the Cornish.
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

So if Anglo-Saxons are not indigenous to the New World -- which clearly they are not -- then how can they be viewed as anything else but migrants, immigrants, invaders, refugees, or interlopers?

Come to think of it, Anglo-Saxons aren't even indigenous to the British Isles. Don't take my word for it: just ask the Welsh and the Cornish.
                        Hush, you. You're getting in the way of his Alternative Facts.

Comment

I can't believe this is even a thing!

The cognitive dissonance - stating that your ancestors weren't immigrants, and then claiming to be Irish, Scottish, Polish etc. in the same breath is gobsmacking.

Unless your ancestors were Indians, you're descended from immigrants, whether you like it or not.

Of course, the waves of immigrants flooding in, respecting neither the law nor the language, and then slaughtering the natives actually has some validity in the US. It happened already, and you celebrate it every November.
                          Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Indians also were immigrants .

Comment

If they present traits not found in original populations, then htey aren't migrants no more.
                              There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Exactly. I was just drawing Slick Miesters argument to its logical conclusion. The USA didnít see any major immigration until the 1840s, so I donít agree that we are a nation of immigrants or any other phoney baloney things Democrats say in order to justify eliminating borders.
                                Well, I think immigrants did help build the nation after it was founded. But my point was to counter others claiming that we are all immigrants at this time, which, for my part and others, those of us that were born in this nation are not immigrants in any sense.
                                The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X