Trump wants to militarize space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

And I fear it's being used against you now.

Russia (is not the SU) spends some 70 billion USD on its military, USA spends 600.
    And just like then, we can afford - they can't. We're also still within our normal range of % of GDP for spending. Like I said, we don't really have to go all in to full production and implementation. Just publicly roll out some development ideas "in the works" and see if they start the catch up game. Who felt the financial strains of the last fruitless Star Wars type projects more, the U.S. or Russia? I suspect it pinched them far more than us.

Comment

On top of everything else, using NASA to develop a moon base under the auspices of scientific research as opposed to being a purely military venture from the start, would probably end up like the ISS. Many nations scientists coming on board to study peacefully without the obvious threat of military dominance.

The science will (or perhaps even must) be explored and developed sooner or later. Initiating it under scientific objectives to begin with just might keep it that way. It seems that gigantic science projects that amplify our insignificance in the universe and the folly of international squabbles against the contrast of dealing with something like an extinction level event from space keeps us all a little more friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhat View Post
        And just like then, we can afford - they can't. We're also still within our normal range of % of GDP for spending. Like I said, we don't really have to go all in to full production and implementation. Just publicly roll out some development ideas "in the works" and see if they start the catch up game. Who felt the financial strains of the last fruitless Star Wars type projects more, the U.S. or Russia? I suspect it pinched them far more than us.
        Wasn't really talking about Russia, I just mentioned them as a counterpoint to the USSR being mentioned.

Russia in this regard is old news, China will likely be your competition for the next century in space.

But competing with both in several areas is already stretching the US resources, and perhaps more importantly, the resolve of your citizens.

The US military today seems unable to influence any conflict in a decisive manner, despite massive spending.

Russia achieved its goals in Syria at a fraction of the price for instance, while the US did not.

Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Even France has a Space Command. Trump is behind the curve.

A bit off piste, I remember a role playing game from the 80s that was set in a future where space was dominated by the French.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Join...mmand_(France)
          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Russia in this regard is old news, China will likely be your competition for the next century in space.

But competing with both in several areas is already stretching the US resources, and perhaps more importantly, the resolve of your citizens.

The US military today seems unable to influence any conflict in a decisive manner, despite massive spending.

Russia achieved its goals in Syria at a fraction of the price for instance, while the US did not.
            Agreed on China rather than Russia. That dog don't hunt no more.

I don't see our ineffectiveness as a result of equipment or training. Policy, resolve, and lack of foresight in previous administrations (Dubya included) have hampered our game more than anything. The landscape has changed dramatically now. Prior assumptions don't necessarily apply anymore.

Comment

The landscape has changed dramatically now. Prior assumptions don't necessarily apply anymore.
              How so ?

Comment

Why should they play the game ? They didn't did it before, there is no reason to do it now. The possibilities of each side are well known and money will be spent on what is needed.
                There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

How so ?
                  Trump. He's a wild card they're not used to dealing with.

Comment

Oh dear, not Trump again.

The Chinese, the Russians, the Arabs, even the Euros, are playing on a wider field then the next 4 years or so...

I joined the ACG in 2009, before 2015 Trump wasn't even mentioned, and by 2025, he'll be long forgotten.

The issues we discuss here will be not though.

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post

Why should they play the game ? They didn't did it before, there is no reason to do it now. The possibilities of each side are well known and money will be spent on what is needed.
                      As SnowGerry said it's not Russia at the helm now, it's China. I still don't really believe there's any real intent. Trump's penchant for distractions to mask his real efforts elsewhere is coming into focus. He's pretty effectively used the msm own fervent bias and TDS to keep the talking heads busy on something silly or outrageous while he gets ready to drop the hammer on something prior to unforseen. The more outrageous or inflammatory the tweet, the more likely he's coming out with something big, and the media is caught flat footed. I initially thought his tweets were just his mega ego run amuck and that it would be detrimental to his success. I no longer feel that way. It's a tool at his disposal. The media expected Trump to be "the Donald" as he has been in private enterprise - brash, outlandish, reactionary and egotistical, so that's what he gives them. After studying it with purpose, there is definitely a trend if one cares to look. I'll further detail my observations in an upcoming post. Suffice it to say, I'm starting to think he's a far better Potus than businessman.

Comment

Oh dear, not Trump again.

The Chinese, the Russians, the Arabs, even the Euros, are playing on a wider field then the next 4 years or so...

I joined the ACG in 2009, before 2015 Trump wasn't even mentioned, and by 2025, he'll be long forgotten.

The issues we discuss here will be not though.
                        Of course they are, as are we. Still, he's the one they must react to here and now and he's not in the normal mould of an average world leader. He seems to upset the status quo and that means unpredictability.

Comment

You weren't around in the Obama years then I take it ?

I was constantly being told here how he would "Ruin America" - 8 years on end - if he was re-elected he would ruin the world no doubt..

Yet he was and he didn't.

Now I'm here listening to the very same people telling me how Trump will save that same world...

Please forgive me my cynicism

Comment

As SnowGerry said it's not Russia at the helm now, it's China. I still don't really believe there's any real intent. Trump's penchant for distractions to mask his real efforts elsewhere is coming into focus. He's pretty effectively used the msm own fervent bias and TDS to keep the talking heads busy on something silly or outrageous while he gets ready to drop the hammer on something prior to unforseen. The more outrageous or inflammatory the tweet, the more likely he's coming out with something big, and the media is caught flat footed. I initially thought his tweets were just his mega ego run amuck and that it would be detrimental to his success. I no longer feel that way. It's a tool at his disposal. The media expected Trump to be "the Donald" as he has been in private enterprise - brash, outlandish, reactionary and egotistical, so that's what he gives them. After studying it with purpose, there is definitely a trend if one cares to look. I'll further detail my observations in an upcoming post. Suffice it to say, I'm starting to think he's a far better Potus than businessman.
                            With Dems and his own supporters on his back, there is no much Trump can do without causing serious damage.
                            There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

You weren't around in the Obama years then I take it ?

I was constantly being told here how he would "Ruin America" - 8 years on end - if he was re-elected he would ruin the world no doubt..

Yet he was and he didn't.

Now I'm here listening to the very same people telling me how Trump will save that same world...

Please forgive me my cynicism
                              Actually, after thinking about it, I've been coming here since the beginning of W's second term.

I saw, and chuckled, at the hyperbole. While their fears were based in some realities, his inexperience and ineptitude kept him from actually effecting any drastic changes he may have envisioned. Still, had he been a truly skillful tactition and had better organized support behind him in Congress, I do believe he would have done everything he could to dramatically change the makeup of the country and its structures. He had openly stated such as can be documented many places. Hope & Change was his campaign slogan after all.

Trump is no messiah for the right in my opinion either. Neither is he the monster the left portrays him as, just like Obama was not to be as feared as many believed. He is, however, an unknown entity that the progressive side never assumed would win. As such, they are unprepared and definitely unfamiliar with his tactics. I can't think of any other Potus that has been so far from the norm as him since the start of the 20th century. Not even Obama. He won't "save the world" as you put it, but he may just be the only one who can negate the unceasing march to the left and bring the country back to a more center balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post

With Dems and his own supporters on his back, there is no much Trump can do without causing serious damage.
                                His support is in the polling booth, not the Capitol building. Establishment Republicans were just as big of a competitor as the Democrats. He surprised them too, and continues to do so. He challenges business as usual politics and neither side likes that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                  Robi P.
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                  Today, 02:27
                                • casanova
                                  Beirut
                                  by casanova
                                  Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                  Today, 00:47
                                • casanova
                                  Nuclear battleheads.
                                  by casanova
                                  A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                                  Yesterday, 23:58
                                Working...
                                X