Make America Great Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

That wasn't my job in the Navy. My job was make the ship go and fix it when things broke. Being shot at isn't the only job in the military and the one I did was usually thankless until you were without power, water, heat, air-conditioning, or something else. Then suddenly I was everybody's buddy.
    That's not what I meant by my post, I appreciate and salute anyone the served, wether it be cook or mechanic, what I meant was people on this Forum that don't know Sh-t from Shinola, but pretend to know how the word works, that's all! A$$ in the grass includes you TA!
    Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

• Originally posted by Trung Si View Post

My problem with all the experts on this Forum is that none of them had ever had their A$$ in the grass the worst thing that the US ever did was getting rid of the draft, nothing teaches one humility than getting your A$$ kicked or a bullet whizzing by over your head, it will change your mind of the way of the world in a hurry!
      My ass was in sand instead of grass. And that sand got into everything-eyes, mouth, food, clothing, weapons-everything. And getting rid of the draft was the smart thing to do. I've served with both draftees and volunteers and those that volunteered to serve for whatever reason was much better than the draftees. The worst part of the draft was that the average draftee only had to serve for two years. They would just get trained and then they got out. There was a dearth of experience with a peacetime draft.
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
      Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
      To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

• Does this 'make American great again?'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

As well as this?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-rus...edium=referral
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

• This definitely demonstrates that Trump is not only inept, but dishonest:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Comment

My problem with all the experts on this Forum is that none of them ever had their A$$ in the grass
            Does it count: receiving sniper fire and mortar rounds in Viet Nam base camp, being on an East German bounty list during the Cold War, and attacking in a division in the First Persian Gulf war?
            Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

Does it count: receiving sniper fire and mortar rounds in Viet Nam base camp, being on an East German bounty list during the Cold War, and attacking in a division in the First Persian Gulf war?
              My comment wasn't directed at you, Messina or some of the other Vets here, but some of the still wet behind the ears world experts, they know who they are.

Comment

My comment wasn't directed at you, Messina or some of the other Vets here, but some of the still wet behind the ears world experts, they know who they are.
                Yeah, they're the ones constantly complaining about everything everyone else does.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

By process of elimination, I suspect you implied me.

I assume that if you are okay with TAG who did not receive fire when he was fixing mechanical equipment in the US Navy, you should be also okay with a person who served during peacetime in the Greek Army's special forces as a paratrooper. Yes, in Greece the two paratroop battalions were part of the special forces, and the selection for parachuting training came after the completion of basic training for special forces. And although my main specialty in the unit was not impressive since I was in the HQ company in food supply (which I did not choose but I suspect was selected because my university degree and test scores qualified me for an office job), I still had to endure in full (and pass) the selection process and still had to participate in all major training events of the unit, from winter training to 50K (about 30 miles) marches with combat gear, bergen and so on. TAG may recall the conversation I had in the past with some members here about my military experience and the photo I posted with me and my FN FAL in front of my igloo from my winter war training in 1992.
                  Last edited by pamak; 16 Jun 18, 18:42.
                  My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

• Originally posted by Massena View Post
                    . The worst part of the draft was that the average draftee only had to serve for two years. They would just get trained and then they got out. There was a dearth of experience with a peacetime draft.
                    I disagree with you on that with that statement, I learned a lot in the Army and so did a hell of a lot of Draftees!

Comment

• Originally posted by pamak View Post

By process of elimination, I suspect you implied me.

I assume that if you are okay with TAG who did not receive fire when he was fixing mechanical equipment in the US Navy, you should be also okay with a person who served during peacetime in the Greek Army's special forces as a paratrooper. Yes, in Greece the two paratroop battalions were part of the special forces, and the selection for parachuting training came after the completion of basic training for special forces. And although my main specialty in the unit was not impressive since I was in the HQ company in food supply (which I did not choose but I suspect was selected because my university degree and test scores qualified me for an office job), I still had to endure in full (and pass) the selection process and still had to participate in all major training events of the unit, from winter training to 50K (about 30 miles) marches with combat gear, bergen and so on. TAG may recall the conversation I had in the past with some members here about my military experience and the photo I posted with me and my FN FAL in front of my igloo from my winter war training in 1992.
                      When you have to fire that that FN FAL on people you constantly defend we will talk again, and I hope with an attitude adjustment!

Comment

When you have to fire that that FN FAL on people you constantly defend we will talk again, and I hope with an attitude adjustment!
                        Oh, but you said before that you did not have a problem with people like TAG who did not fire any weapon on people. So, apparently your problem is not that I did not fire against people.
                        My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

• Pamak in the Greek army...

Comment

• You could at least have posted a much better picture of a hoplite.

Comment

• Originally posted by pamak View Post

Oh, but you said before that you did not have a problem with people like TAG who did not fire any weapon on people. So, apparently your problem is not that I did not fire against people.
                              His opinion is his problem. First he assumed his army experience makes him sn expert in worldly matters, and secondly that no one else in this board has served.

Army taught me to fight, wait, march, and clean. Apparently trung it taught to become expert of everything. Apparently he thinks that one cannot understand world until your existential crisis is triggered by bullets whistling by.
                              Wisdom is personal

Comment

• Originally posted by Massena View Post
                                The US was already great before Trump, and we will be after he leaves. He isn't helping 'greatness' at all and has diminished the office of president.

He is fulfilling the old definition, appropriately so, of 'trumpery':

The definition of trumpery:
                                1. worthless nonsense
                                2. trivial or useless articles
                                3. junk
                                4. archaic : tawdry finery
                                Trumpery derives from the Middle English trompery and ultimately from the Middle French tromper, meaning "to deceive." (You can see the meaning of this root reflected in the French phrase trompe-l'oeil-literally, "deceives the eye"-which in English refers to a style of painting with photographically realistic detail.) Trumpery first appeared in English in the mid-15th century with the meanings "deceit or fraud" (a sense that is now obsolete) and "worthless nonsense." Less than 100 years later, it was being applied to material objects of little or no value. The verb phrase trump up means "to concoct with the intent to deceive," but there is most likely no etymological connection between this phrase and trumpery.

The following letter is also appropriate to Trump's nonsense and bullying, though from another time:

My Fellow Citizens,

The rise of this blusterous man bewilders the educated among us, conjoins opposing politicians, agonizes our international allies, threatens minorities, spits on the disabled, and touches the hearts of those who just don’t know any better.

Let us stop propounding how mad this all is, but instead, do something.

Lisolette Hubner

Germany, 1929

Finally, words of wisdom from Theodore Roosevely that should be taken to heart by everyone:

‘The President is merely the most important among a large number of public servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or inefficiency in rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole. Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other attitude in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or anyone else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else.

-Theodore Roosevelt

I don't believe that Roosevelt would approve of Trump and his nefarious actions.
                                So just out of curiosity who among us has said the President should never be criticized?
                                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X