Make America Great Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pamak View Post

Right now, one can also say that Trump is most like Nixon, both breaking the mold of a president. In truth however, it is just too early to make any such comparisons with other presidents.
    By the way, since you are into strategy, do you think that America can become great again by starting a trade war against everybody? Because such COA seems irrational to me. Or do you think that such actions are just part of a bluff designed to intimidate others to let Trump do whatever is best for the US? We know that when politicians with big egos think that they can get away with such tactics, it usually ends bad for them and their nation. They may get some concessions in the beginning up until they develop a false sense of security and make the critical miscalculation to invade Poland literally or figuratively....
    When someone is unpredictible and appears to be foolish, it can give you some bonuses. Trump is playing on different fronts in a difficult position thus it's not a easy job.
    There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Trump isn't "starting a trade war" - he's dealing with an existing one that has been with us for a long time, and he's giving himself some serious chips to play on the international trade tables. I'm sure we all understand that saying "tariffs" is easy to do without actually doing too much else. Several nations are running scared merely at the thought of being held to an equal standard.

In the case of some tariffs that are now present, they are long overdue. Nations like China and Mexico have been screwing us for decades. So has Japan. Equal access to markets means just what it says, and state-sponsored business conglomerates have never been fair and equitable.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post

When someone is unpredictible and appears to be foolish, it can give you some bonuses. Trump is playing on different fronts in a difficult position thus it's not a easy job.
        I can accept the benefit of being unpredictable when you face an adversary. But being unpredictable with allies is not beneficial. One needs to have some level of credibility in the international arena. it is hard to argue that one can make any nation "great again" by undermining its reputation as a reliable partner. And in the context of this post, allies for me are these trade partners whose labor laws and wages are not a threat to the interests of the average American worker.
        My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post

I'm sure you had a mental lapse; I compared Trump to TR. Lincoln was an example in response to your assertion of a President who was not in combat and I believe there are many more examples.
          Bobo, Slick Willie never served.

Bush jr, Reagan, the peanut farmer, and Ike served but never saw combat. LBJ flew as a observer on one combat mission.

Truman, JFK and Bush Sr saw combat.

I don't recall where Ford stood in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Trump isn't "starting a trade war" - he's dealing with an existing one that has been with us for a long time, and he's giving himself some serious chips to play on the international trade tables. I'm sure we all understand that saying "tariffs" is easy to do without actually doing too much else. Several nations are running scared merely at the thought of being held to an equal standard.

In the case of some tariffs that are now present, they are long overdue. Nations like China and Mexico have been screwing us for decades. So has Japan. Equal access to markets means just what it says, and state-sponsored business conglomerates have never been fair and equitable.
            If you see my previous post, I have no objection about putting pressure on China or Mexico. If anything, as a "progressive" I have a history of rejecting corporate outsourcing to countries with low living standards, in order to put American workers in a position of having to compete with people who work for a bowl of rice. But my point is that if one is REALLY serious in putting such pressure on such countries, or conduct a trade war against them he needs to have some allies. This is no different from conducting a military war. You cannot just fight every nation in the world simply because there is always some form of clash of interests even among traditional allies.
            My most dangerous mission: I landed in the middle of an enemy tank battalion and I immediately, started spraying bullets killing everybody around me having fun up until my computer froze...

Comment

Right now, one can also say that Trump is most like Nixon, both breaking the mold of a president. In truth however, it is just too early to make any such comparisons with other presidents.
              By the way, since you are into strategy, do you think that America can become great again by starting a trade war against everybody? Because such COA seems irrational to me. Or do you think that such actions are just part of a bluff designed to intimidate others to let Trump do whatever is best for the US? We know that when politicians with big egos think that they can get away with such tactics, it usually ends bad for them and their nation. They may get some concessions in the beginning up until they develop a false sense of security and make the critical miscalculation to invade Poland literally or figuratively....
              I believe Trump wants to redress our trade imbalance which hurts our economy and military readiness, both of which are necessary to pursue our national interests. The trade imbalances are so great, I believe there will not be a trade war. Trump is not a politician, but he understands economics, and he has very good advisers for military and national security. And he listens to them, then makes a decision. Obama did not listen to them. He would not even read the daily Intelligence summary from the CIA. Additionally, Obama had no interest in international affairs outside of apologizing for our country, not backiing up a red line in Syria, did not nothing on Russia taking Crimea/invading Ukraine, and making a horrible deal with Iran. He was not qualified to be a President who should have good understanding in the American economy and national security. Trump with a high IQ is a quick study and seeks qualified, experienced advisers.

I have often thought one could judge military commanders by the staff which he surrounds himselves. The classic example is Napoleon's loss of Bertha and Soult's missteps at Waterloo, I think the same relationship is valid with a President and his staff.
              Last edited by R.N. Armstrong; 14 Jun 18, 18:34.
              Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Bush jr, Reagan, the peanut farmer, and Ike served but never saw combat. LBJ flew as a observer on one combat mission.

Ford and Nixon were both in the Navy. Ford was on a carrier and was at least in theater for combat. Nixon was assigned to positions dealing with logistics and such and was actually awarded several very high non-combat awards for his work.

LBJ on the other hand gave himself a Silver Star for his flying around doing nothing in the SWPA.

Of the bunch, only Clinton could be called a draft dodger.

Comment

I believe Trump wants to redress our trade imbalance which hurts our economy and military readiness, both of which are necessary to pursue our national interests. The trade imbalances are so great, I believe there will not be a trade war. Trump is not a politician, but he understands economics, and he has very good advisers for military and national security. And he listens to them, then makes a decision. Obama did not listen to them. He would not even read the daily Intelligence summary from the CIA. Additionally, Obama had no interest in international affairs outside of apologizing for our country, not backiing up a red line in Syria, and making a horrible deal with Iran. He was not qualified to be a President who should have good understanding in the American economy and national security. Trump with a high IQ is a quick study and seeks qualified, experienced advisers.

I have often thought one could judge military commanders by the staff which he surrounds himselves. The classic example is Napoleon's loss of Bertha and Soult's missteps at Waterloo, I think the same relationship is valid with a President and his staff.
                  Yuour response was more about Obama than what I said, and this shows something. Also, we saw how Trump treated the intelligence CIA provided about Russia's actions.

Comment

Yuour response was more about Obama than what I said, and this shows something. Also, we saw how Trump treated the intelligence CIA provided about Russia's actions.
                    I think Trump is a consummate negotiator and knows that one cannot negotiate if you do not talk to the opposition--just like his reversal when there was an opening to talk with Kim Joung Un. Trump believes he can talk with Putin.

The intelligence community since the fall of the Soviet Union has wanted a resurrection of a Russia that can become the Cold War enemy again. I fought such a model in the Pentagon after the fall of the Soviet Union. Everyone was comfortable with the single overarching enemy, when, in fact, we faced a complex spectrum of threats around the world of varying qualities of nation-state military forces, non-state threat entities (subnational, transnational, and global terrorists as well as anational drug cartels), and phenomenological threats (which would require use of military forces, i.e., mass refugee movement, disaster relief). Consequently, I can understand Trumps rebuff of the intel community in his effort to have an opportunity for talks.

Comment

Good reply. What did you find on Obama's military experience. Me think, the poster speaks with forked tongue.

Comment

Good reply. What did you find on Obama's military experience. Me think, the poster speaks with forked tongue.
                        Obama signed up for the draft, like everyone does. That's it. He might have watched SPR... That's about the totality of his military experience.

Clinton at one point was going to be drafted. He went to the University of Arkansas and signed up for ROTC. That got him a deferment and out of being drafted. Days after getting the deferment, he quit the program and was never subsequently notified of being drafted afterwards. In other words, he dodged the draft making him a draft dodger.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Obama signed up for the draft, like everyone does. That's it. He might have watched SPR... That's about the totality of his military experience.

Clinton at one point was going to be drafted. He went to the University of Arkansas and signed up for ROTC. That got him a deferment and out of being drafted. Days after getting the deferment, he quit the program and was never subsequently notified of being drafted afterwards. In other words, he dodged the draft making him a draft dodger.
                          That can't be: Trump was given a medical deferment, and is regularly called a draft dodger and a coward. Certainly those chest-thumping self-appointed heroes would not have let something like that pass; that would be hypocrisy.

Comment

That can't be: Trump was given a medical deferment, and is regularly called a draft dodger and a coward. Certainly those chest-thumping self-appointed heroes would not have let something like that pass; that would be hypocrisy.
                            30 to 50% of all draftees were rejected for service. Mental incompetence, and medical problems were the two most common reasons for this. Showing up at the draft office for induction and being rejected doesn't make you a draft dodger, it makes you unsuited for military duty. On the other hand, finding a way to get a deferment specifically to evade being drafted is pretty conclusive evidence of draft dodging.

Comment

I think Trump is a consummate negotiator and knows that one cannot negotiate if you do not talk to the opposition--just like his reversal when there was an opening to talk with Kim Joung Un. Trump believes he can talk with Putin.

The intelligence community since the fall of the Soviet Union has wanted a resurrection of a Russia that can become the Cold War enemy again. I fought such a model in the Pentagon after the fall of the Soviet Union. Everyone was comfortable with the single overarching enemy, when, in fact, we faced a complex spectrum of threats around the world of varying qualities of nation-state military forces, non-state threat entities (subnational, transnational, and global terrorists as well as anational drug cartels), and phenomenological threats (which would require use of military forces, i.e., mass refugee movement, disaster relief). Consequently, I can understand Trumps rebuff of the intel community in his effort to have an opportunity for talks.
                              Again, as a "progressive" I have been consistent in my belief that the military industrial complex is often interested in enriching itself by exaggerating threats. I have also been consistent in my belief that one should be able to attempt to talk to everybody. In fact, there is a thread somewhere in this forum when I clearly expressed my opinion that it is good that Trump broke fro the orthodoxy regarding the attempt to start a diplomatic dialogue with Korea without putting in advance conditions that exclude such dialogue.

I do not know when you served in the Pentagon, but what I see is that the solution to the end of the Cold War era came with 9/11. Then we had new exaggerations to justify new wars (see Iraq) and military expenses during the last two decades. I also see a new attempt by Trump to increase military expenses and a narrative that somehow such action is part of the project to "make America Great Again" Is this an attempt to return to a mini "Cold War" Great America with respect to the size and expenses of our military ? Because if you really believe that we are over dramatic about the capabilities and intentions of our adversaries such as Russia, then it is difficult to explain why we should increase the military spending as Trump tries to do.

Finally, do you have specific reasons for your implied objections about the findings of the intelligence community Russia's intervention in the US elections, or is it that you assume that every such intelligence report is wrong because you cannot trust the intelligence community? And what about Iran? Do you trust their reports there? Or what about the Cold War intelligence reports? One can argue that even then there was a desire to overplay the capabilities of an adversary to justify the need for a big US military. Pacifists, and leftist frequently employed such arguments.
                              Last edited by pamak; 14 Jun 18, 19:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

I have avoided this cess pool for some time but when a person that I HAD highly respected comes with such total unsupported BS I'm morally forced to reply.

Did you really think a President that started our National Pack system has the same soul as the present President? Do you real think that a man, TR, that led, from the front ,military men in combat is the same sort of soul as this despicable present President. Do you compared a man that mourned the death of his wife to a three time adulter? Question, have you gotten old and ? Cut me from one that once had high respect for you. OUT
                                Meanwhile, you support a total POS named OBAMA and HILLARY, ****ing amazing! And this makes your judgment questionable.
                                My worst jump story:
                                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                                No lie.

~
                                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X