Anyone Watching Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Watching Hawaii?

One of America's states is being devoured by a live volcano and we're debating things like waxing a transgender's crotch?

Really?

Meantime, back in the real world, another 2000 people were forced to evacuate ahead of lava flows and the lava has destroyed a geothermal plant. Sounds more important to me. How about the rest of you? Anyone else interested in news that matters?

Maybe we should separate Politics from actual Current Events.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

There's like half a dozen other Hawaiian islands. They can afford to lose one...

Besides, if you choose to live next to a known active volcano, you should expect lava in your living room occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      There's like half a dozen other Hawaiian islands. They can afford to lose one...

Besides, if you choose to live next to a known active volcano, you should expect lava in your living room occasionally.

So, a tragedy for literally thousands of households ranks well below a tranny getting his carrot waxed?

Just as I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

So, a tragedy for literally thousands of households ranks well below a tranny getting his carrot waxed?

Just as I thought.
        It's a tragedy when it's unexpected. It isn't when you knowingly move somewhere and there are known risks. This is no different than building your house in a known flood plain and then wondering why your living room is filling up with water twice a year. It's like moving to Phoenix and then complaining its hot.

Comment

On a related note--the USS Arizona Memorial has been closed indefinitely due to some structural damage.
          PS--I remember the OP wasn't this indignant when Puerto Rico and some other areas had hurricane damage.

Comment

My old house was in a 500 year floodplain. The problem was the street that you had to take when you tried to get in or out! They built it low to help the drainage, but it did this so well that they had to come back and partially block the storm drains. I remember coming home at around 4:00 in the morning and seeing the water was high. All I could do was pull into someones' driveway and wait. Naturally my diuretic started kicking in...

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
              On a related note--the USS Arizona Memorial has been closed indefinitely due to some structural damage.
              PS--I remember the OP wasn't this indignant when Puerto Rico and some other areas had hurricane damage.
              The Arizona memorial has had structural issues for decades. They're finally getting bad enough that the park service will have to do some major fixing to correct them. Puerto Rico is no different than Hawaii. You live in a place where there are hurricanes and tropical storms every year. Plan on it. That means not living in a substandard home that can't survive a strong storm intact let alone a hurricane.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                My old house was in a 500 year floodplain. The problem was the street that you had to take when you tried to get in or out! They built it low to help the drainage, but it did this so well that they had to come back and partially block the storm drains. I remember coming home at around 4:00 in the morning and seeing the water was high. All I could do was pull into someones' driveway and wait. Naturally my diuretic started kicking in...

Pruitt
                Sounds like an explosive, $h!++y situation to me...

Comment

One of America's states is being devoured by a live volcano and we're debating things like waxing a transgender's crotch?

Really?

Meantime, back in the real world, another 2000 people were forced to evacuate ahead of lava flows and the lava has destroyed a geothermal plant. Sounds more important to me. How about the rest of you? Anyone else interested in news that matters?

I think we already had a thread on this, and I linked a live-feed but it went bust a while back.

The place is not being devoured, unless you happen to live in one of those neighborhoods where the only affordable real-estate in the State was located. For THAT area, the Tiny Homes on wheels would seem to have been the smart way to go.

It is dramatic and fascinating to watch, but this is how those islands were made, and continue to be made and will be for many millions of years to come. Someday it will stop and the Big island will start eroding down to nothing, like Midway almost is now.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                    You got me there!

Guess I'm just tired of all of the peeing and moaning over one single tranny, and all the other trash. But you;re all quite right - the Hawaiians are all 's and deserve everything they get. Of course, they're a state and Puerto Rico has always voted not to join us, but hey...got to pee on somebody's parade, right?

Comment

(...)
                      It has been separated,

last time I checked Politics Central was up again, but not a single post there.

It used to be the most active board section.

I guess people got used to dumping politics in Current Events ?

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...ics-central-aa
                      Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post

I think we already had a thread on this, and I linked a live-feed but it went bust a while back.

The place is not being devoured, unless you happen to live in one of those neighborhoods where the only affordable real-estate in the State was located. For THAT area, the Tiny Homes on wheels would seem to have been the smart way to go.

It is dramatic and fascinating to watch, but this is how those islands were made, and continue to be made and will be for many millions of years to come. Someday it will stop and the Big island will start eroding down to nothing, like Midway almost is now.
                        Yep. Kilauea is just making more island, like it's done for the past 300-600 thousand years. Nanawale Estates was built on top of the 1840 lava flow... For that matter, just about every building in Hawaii is built on top of old lava flows. Kilauea has been in a continuous state of eruption since 1983.

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

So....with all these fissures opening up, will a good chunk of Hawaiian real estate slump into the ocean and create a tsunami?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
                            So....with all these fissures opening up, will a good chunk of Hawaiian real estate slump into the ocean and create a tsunami?
                            Not likely. The risk of tsunami-inducing slump blocks is generally after a volcano moves away from the hot spot and shut down. This is when weathering and erosion can cause big chunks of basalt to fall into the ocean (think Sleeping Giant falling into Long Island Sound).
                            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post

Not likely. The risk of tsunami-inducing slump blocks is generally after a volcano moves away from the hot spot and shut down. This is when weathering and erosion can cause big chunks of basalt to fall into the ocean (think Sleeping Giant falling into Long Island Sound).
                              All those Yalies. Croc tears

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X